don't click here

Sonic 3 Level Select - "The Easy Way"?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sutter, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sutter

Sutter

A SUTTER IS YOU! Oldbie
  2. Jimp

Jimp

Art in Sonic 1
    I have no idea, but I'm not about ruin my cart trying it.

3. CloverCC

CloverCC

Oh, this is old, to me. :P I saw it somewhere on Gamewinners back around 2002 or 2003. It is pretty neat, and it does work.

4. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    That's old news. It works because both Sonic 2 and 3 use the same RAM address for the level select.

Personally, I just hook into the vblank and have a trained ROM for that purpose. =P

5. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    I learned how to do this from my cousin years ago, but I did it when Sonic 2 was already on the level select, both do the same thing.

Of course, that has the nasty side effect of randomly wiping you Save RAM :)

6. Lath

Lath

It's never done that to me, funny thing, I just did that exact thing this morning, lost my S&K cart and wanted to get debug and have a run through Ice cap XD

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yes, this is old news. But I don't know why it happens.

8. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yes, it does work. I did it until my copy of Sonic 3 stopped working... =P

9. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Using the S2 level select sets a RAM byte so the game knows if it is active or not. S3 also uses the exact same RAM byte for the level select. Pressing start on the sound test resets the game without clearing the RAM variables, so by changing the cartridges and doing that, you are loading up the S3 cartridge with all the S2 variables still set, which will result in the level select remaining enabled.

10. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    The S3 level select is easily done in Sonic Jam. (Up, up, down, down, up, up, up, up.)

11. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I never got it working... I just got the endless music note that dragged on forever, and a blue screen. =P

Then I decided to try the button press way and I got it. =P

12. Vangar

Vangar

Yup, this is very old. I did it waaay back when I was a kid.

13. Bonic

Bonic

Sonic DS, New Sonic The Hedgehog
    This isn't the easy way! The easy ways to hack it in(I did that)

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, this is the only way I was ever able to get level select in S3... I had fun using the makeshift Super Tails. =P (with the S monitor, hehe)

15. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I've always managed to do it the proper button press way. I just seem to press the buttons in time to the music and it works. Dunno if that's how it was intended, but since it works I'm not complaining.

16. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    I risked the cart swapping when I borrowed Sonic 2 + 3 off friends back in the day ;) Something told me to enable the level select in Sonic 2 and to try to Cartridge swap and see if it worked for Sonic 3 seeing as the level selects looked so similar and of course it worked for the reasons StephenUK mentioned.

On Sonic Mega Collection Plus on PS2 I got the S3 level select cheat to work just once... but thankfully I saved the game onto my memory card with it enabled!! :)

DJ

17. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    If I recall correctly, it's in time with each frame of Sonic's animation of jumping into the SEGA logo. But yeah, I've always managed to do it the button-press way too.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You can simulate this in emulators by just loading a Sonic 2 savestate with any code enabled into Sonic 3, then soft-resetting.

19. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    I tried that too when I 1st started to run Genesis Emulators and found it worked the same way which was cool. If I recall also Debug mode also works the same way for S3 from an S2 savestate.

DJ

20. I had downloaded a S3 level select savestate from S2B I believe, but it was in PAL. So I tried to perform the code myself. I did it on the 3rd try. Now I can't seem to do it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.