don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles unfinished/hidden area

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by pluggo, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pluggo

pluggo

Pending Member
    I was exploring S3&K as Knuckles when I stumbled upon this area. Apologies in advance if someone already found this.

It's in Carnival Night act 2, just before the boss. There are the vertical tubes that Sonic/Tails would fall down, then face Knuckles, who would activate the tubes and suck Sonic up into the boss area. Obviously this doesn't happen to Knuckles.

So you climb up the tubes (left side for the bottom one; if you reach the top on the right side, you will fall) to the boss area. Heading right would trigger the boss sequence, but you will want to head left instead and climb to the top of the left wall. Glide across the top to the right wall, and you will find some tunnels leading right and down.

The first tunnel (on the right, as you climb down) leads to an apparently-unfinished area of the level, devoid of rings and badniks, with non-working objects. It's quite possible to get stuck here and have to wait for time over.

The second leads into an area resembling the Act 1 boss area. Falling down the far left side of this area lands you in a wall, where you can jump/move around and be "teleported" to the robotic egg. Opening it ends the zone without fighting the boss.

I've found other areas like this in this and other Sonic games, but this is the first I've found that's accessible without the debugger code (though it's inaccessible in plain Sonic 3 because Knuckles's climbing and gliding is required.

2. I forget why it does this, but it's like that in other zones too.

3. NickW

NickW

Yeah, but it is not really unfinished, its more that the level layout wraps but the objects don't. But at least you did put thought in it.

4. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    I've seen something like that before, I've always thought it was from a earlier verstion of the game.

5. Robjoe

Robjoe

I think it has something to do with the 1-P engine being similar to the 2-P engine. It'll loop and loop until the map's max coordinate is met.

6. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    OMG ITZ TEH BAETA! *shot*

7. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Yeah, every level seems to do this. Like in Icecap, if you use debug and go to the right or down from the snowboarding slope, there will just be another identical slope.

8. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    That is because the level layout wraps up and down. It would be exremely space wasting if it was just one bigass slope going downward for a minute, as level layouts are built in rows from left to right.

9. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Why is Hidden Palace Zone have the Special Stage music?

10. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

It doesn't. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.