don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles; no-spindash?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Jayextee, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Aren't you supposed to jump there?

2. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    Hey, Code Mark 1 is only on my version, because I added it; it's not in the normal code. As for the impossibility of beating S&K without spindash, I've got a plan for fixing that. If anyone wants to help, they can help. If nobody wants to, that's just fine as well. No need to force anyone to do what they don't want to do.

And just to inform you, I do enjoy a challenge, and that's part of the reason why I took up trying to break spindash.

3. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Honestly, I never saw the spindash as being hugely advantageous for anything other than speed runs, save for the occasional quick escape from an attack during a boss fight.

4. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

I would be nothing without the spin dash lol

That's part oft he reason why I never bothered to finish sonic 1, "wahhh there's no spin dash this sucks".

Still, I agree, it is kind cheap. Instead of gaining speed and rolling you just sit there and magically blast your way through a level. Pretty fun though.

5. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    The Spindash has been around for years and I guess that's why I'm attached to it, eventhough I never found myself dependent on it.
    Though I've almost completed Sonic 2 with no Spin dash.

I completed Sonic 1 no problem though :)
    Not gonna argue that it's cheap, all I'll say is that the spindash is sort'a a household name now.

6. Rolken

Rolken

Tech Member
    I derived a fair bit of amusement from playing Megamix without the d-pad as Sonic by abusing the midair dash. There was a spot in the third level where you had to spindash through some walls, but that was the only obstacle in the first zone. That wasn't the most recent version, though.

7. DTX

DTX

A fellow w/a name fit for nary a man save himself Member
    He said he beat Sonic 3 -- not Sonic 3 & Knuckles -- without jumping. There is no Doomsday Zone in Sonic 3. I was referring to Launch Base Zone.

PS: Sorry for the slight bump. :(

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Who needs spindash, not me.

9. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Well, I tried playing through Sonic Unleashed as "retro-like" as possible. That is, only boosting, home attacking, etc. when it is absolutely necessary to continue without dying (water sections for example). If I was able to reach enemies over a bottomless pit, I definitely attempted to jump on them without using the homing attack. It got kind of fun, except for levels like Adabat where I would keep on dying over and over (moreso, at the end) because I wouldn't allow myself to use the homing attack in a specific spot where it *is* possible not to.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's possible to beat Mazuri with only jumping. I use sliding too, because it is pretty much rolling except without the awesome animation.

11. Pinkerton

Pinkerton

サメジマ・マミミ Oldbie
    Sonic 2 is completable without Spin Dashing. You do, however, have to spin attack at a few points to gain the required speed in Metropolis Zone.

When I got my Genesis 1 back in '04 or whatev, it had bent pins in the controller port that were pretty much unfixable, and the eBay seller sent me a functioning unit free of charge. But during the wait, I wanted to play Sonic 2, and the pin that registered down was bridged to the one that registered up, which would allow down to register just long enough to trigger the spin attack down hills, but you would look up before you could spindash, thus forcing me to complete the game without it. A fun challenge.

In addition, in Sky Chase Zone if you pushed down, not only would your plane go down, but Sonic would look up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsXL5JS2mFA Shitty youtube video example.

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I tried a "no roll" run once. Fell on my face at Hill Top Zone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.