don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Master Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by NovaWizard, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    I've yet to test this hack, so I don't know where my position on it will be, but, whether or not it applies to this hack, I have to say
    Lack of something better doesn't make shit good, and you don't have to cook, or even know how to, in order to complain when your soup is full of flies.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I spelt this right. The dictionary agrees.

But seriously though, get rid of those cheap traps and included more of those areas with the enemies and actual clever platforming bits and you'll have a challenging fun Sonic hack.

3. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Your Angel Island Act 2 music edit seriously hurts my ears.

4. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Oh... I'm sorry. I come from Australia... and we use PROPER English. =P

At last... someone gives an alternative to the traps. +2 respect points.

5. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    I was worried about the length in a few levels, and the music edits really didn't sound that good to me (the bass tracks ,and some others are transposed a key up or down, sometimes more) although I liked the drum edits in MGZ 1 (Were those the drums from AIZ 2?) . I think it could do with a few less confined areas and a tiny bit more speed. But I already said most of that. Overall I had fun with it, even if at times I was grinding my teeth.

6. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The games always, always brought you to an immediate stop before reaching the crusher.

You always knew what you were getting yourself into before going under, nothing blind about that. Cheap, perhaps, if you don't know what you're doing, but never blind.

That's because the genre is suitable for constant saving. A decent gamer can make it through most RPGs with relatively few deaths (I only died about 2 or 3 times in FF7, each death at the hands of the final boss); the constant saving lends itself to paranoia- and rightfully so, as such games are quite long, so mistakes are unforgiving- not repeated failure. Straight platformers are only ever meant to be saved between stages, end of.

Anyone who times out on any stage other than CNZ2 and SZ2 has no clue what they're doing. As for the strategically-placed hazards, yes, those are valid, as they add to the challenge without being cheap. Now, that's how you're supposed to ramp up the difficulty. There's nothing strategic about the traps in this hack. Tossing countless blind traps at the player is an infallible strategy for tripping the player up, but it isn't fun nor challenging in the least.

Oh lawd, I've been waiting all day for someone to play the "WELL LET'S SEE YOU DO BETTER" card on me. One doesn't need experience to use their Common Sense. Besides, I realize how difficult constructing layouts in S3&K is, and I've given him credit for that much, but the amount of time and effort put into a project has little to do with it's quality in the long run. Even then, what he does have here isn't all that notable, anyway- the stages haven't deviated much from their original layouts, which, I take it, is why he relies on objects so heavily to provide the challenge factor. If hackers aren't willing to go the distance, then perhaps S3&K is a medium best left alone until we've got a good enough grasp on how it ticks.

Well alrighty then

7. NovaWizard

NovaWizard

M'kay Member
    S1:Megamix & S1:Pixel Perfect
    This is my first hack and it is a public beta release, final will most likely have issues fixed.
    About the layout being different from the original only AIZ act 1 reassemble the original due to the cut scenes and lack of good blocks, MGZ and HCZ layout has nothing besides boss and start location left of their original layouts.

I worked over a half year on this first beta any criticism is accepted but no need to start a flame war, however you could help me improve by sending me details about any traps or "cheap tricks" over PM (Pictures or debug locations would really help), next version will have a lot of things like this fixed.

Also fine print: this release was also mainly just to get feedback (which I did) to see what people thought so I could figure out where to go from there.

8. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Yay! Someone else comes in with more than "IT SUX! CHANGE IT NOW!".

Anyway, after testing out the new BETA, I can safely say that the layout of AIZ1 has changed enough to allow for the "speed" that everyone craves. While it's not without its bugs, and I never got past a certain point due to a bug, as well as a mistake on my part, and a message from Nova lagging my emulator to the point where I lost control of Sonic and he fell into a pit... it is a good change.

9. NovaWizard

NovaWizard

M'kay Member
    That was my new main focus ;) , and also no need for the rest of the beta testers to worry it was just easier to send over MSN than PM, you'll get the new closed beta by tomorrow hopefully.

10. NovaWizard

NovaWizard

M'kay Member
    I won't be able to work much on my hack for a while so I decided to show off the art I'm making for HCZ for now, currently only the foreground is done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on having some art edits to all levels, might not be in the next release thought.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    WHOA SHIT, that's fabulous! Where'd you find the room to put new art? :o

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Great Success! Nice job putting art in S3&K. You may just be dubbed the person who made the first successful Sonic 3 and Knuckles hack. Good for you.

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I'm guessing he just overwrote the old art...

14. That art looks excellent! I hope to acheive something of this magnitude (as small as it may seem).

15. quartzlcc

quartzlcc

test-object's worst nightmare. Member
    California
    lrning2hack
    Well, this is quite simply amazing. Angel Island is iffy, but people have said that again and again I see. The other palettes, however, are quite good. And the edit to HydroCity's art... Nice. I haven't ever seen that done before, sooo that's cool. Especially since this is your first hack. Keep up the good work! :)

16. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    You're guessing correctly, my dear Rika.

17. NovaWizard

NovaWizard

M'kay Member
    Yeah I overwrote the old art, mine was more compact than the old art and there were some extra lines there as well.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Ah, okay. I was wondering if you had cleared up some reserved space elsewhere to fit the art, but I guess I was expecting too much. :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.