don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles Level Swap

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RGamer2009, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDAdams

JDAdams

These are fun, but from my POV they are coming across as somewhat half-done. For instance:

- Overall over-reliance on debug. Sure, it's use is helpful sometimes, but it seems odd you use it all the time while your stated goal is to play "as the creators intended". Indeed, this whole ethos makes little sense given the very point of this series! Speaking of which...
    - The issue with level boundaries. Given that you're trying to get to places you really shouldn't be, and that you're even using debug, it seems weird you that wouldn't fix these. AIZ2 in particular would be much more interesting. Water levels I can take or leave, those make things more interesting too. And with a video series I'd have thought interesting=better, but that's just me
    - AIZ1 - Hyper Knuckles can get to Sonic's boss area without debug (you even commented on this), and I believe the reverse is true for Hyper Sonic (besides the sudden death!)
    - HCZ2 - Hyper Sonic can break into Knuckles' area without debug
    - MZ1 - I don't believe Knuckles actually has his own route here. There is nothing on that route that's tailored to his moves, and given that a simple spin-dash is all that's required to get there it seems a bit of a stretch. Indeed, that's my normal route regardless of character
    - MZ2 - I'm pretty sure Knuckles can get onto Sonic's route without debug via some magic with a top. Never done this one myself though

Sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but as mentioned above, making more interesting videos is more likely to get you more viewers, and I think you could do that relatively easily. It's a great idea overall, just needs tweaking a bit :) Of course, this is just my opinion - if you prefer to do it your own way that's your perogative of course!

2. <!--quoteo(post=368591:date=Nov 1 2009, 04:21 PM:name=JDAdams)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JDAdams @ Nov 1 2009, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=368591">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->These are fun, but from my POV they are coming across as somewhat half-done. For instance:

- Overall over-reliance on debug. Sure, it's use is helpful sometimes, but it seems odd you use it all the time while your stated goal is to play "as the creators intended". Indeed, this whole ethos makes little sense given the very point of this series! Speaking of which...
    I honestly made myself a rule to use debug only when it was necessary. I did use it to avoid deaths at times, because I didn't feel like trying to do the vid over again. I didn't want to go super/hyper AT ALL in my videos because of the repetitious songs, and if I did, it was by accident and I simply went with it. However, if it makes the task any easier, I DO go Super/Hyper to ease the task.

- The issue with level boundaries. Given that you're trying to get to places you really shouldn't be, and that you're even using debug, it seems weird you that wouldn't fix these. AIZ2 in particular would be much more interesting. Water levels I can take or leave, those make things more interesting too. And with a video series I'd have thought interesting=better, but that's just me
    You all seem to be confused on my choice of words. When I said "To do it as they intended it," I mean't not tampering with the ROM itself, NOT by living out the game without debug at all. I use debug when I deem it necessary to get from Point A to point B.

- AIZ1 - Hyper Knuckles can get to Sonic's boss area without debug (you even commented on this), and I believe the reverse is true for Hyper Sonic (besides the sudden death!)
    So your saying I can reach Knux boss? I thought it was impossible after hitting the death boundary.

- HCZ2 - Hyper Sonic can break into Knuckles' area without debug
    See the 1st Comment on Hyper/Super forms.

- MZ1 - I don't believe Knuckles actually has his own route here. There is nothing on that route that's tailored to his moves, and given that a simple spin-dash is all that's required to get there it seems a bit of a stretch. Indeed, that's my normal route regardless of character
    Your right. I should state that in the vid. But I think that MANY people do not know that you can do that, so I added it.

- MZ2 - I'm pretty sure Knuckles can get onto Sonic's route without debug via some magic with a top. Never done this one myself though
    Your right also. I will add it to the vid in an annotation.

Sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but as mentioned above, making more interesting videos is more likely to get you more viewers, and I think you could do that relatively easily. It's a great idea overall, just needs tweaking a bit :) Of course, this is just my opinion - if you prefer to do it your own way that's your perogative of course!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Critiques are welcome indeed.

3. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DEBUG TIME!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why do I always giggle when you say that? And yes, MGZ was more interesting than HZ. I rarely play as Tails so it was nice to see a new path.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    <!--quoteo(post=368575:date=Nov 1 2009, 08:26 PM:name=RGamer2009)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Nov 1 2009, 08:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=368575">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR0R_M3ieGg" target="_blank">Marble Garden's Turn.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't see Debug Time working as a catchphrase, but good luck =P

Also, can we count Knuckles and Tails doing the MGZ2 boss as a Traitor Tails appearance? =P

5. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=368988:date=Nov 2 2009, 08:58 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Nov 2 2009, 08:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=368988">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, can we count Knuckles and Tails doing the MGZ2 boss as a Traitor Tails appearance? =P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I guess the answer is pretty much positive! XD

6. Lets have a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlZqWS-Y0TY" target="_blank">Carnival Night!</a>

7. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Hah, Egg Robo on the CNZ2 boss. Nice =P

8. Pretty good series, keep it up!

9. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUkQDIBfVxY" target="_blank">It's getting cold all of a sudden...</a>

10. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    SUPER BOX GOT THOUGH ACT 2

XD

Very nice, keep 'em coming =P

11. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    You know, I had no idea what I actually expected when I saw this topic.

12. My next video is ready for <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQfqKnjvDnM" target="_blank">Launch!!</a>

13. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Since I've never tried to hack anything, it's the little things that get me. For example, from all the examples, I need to come to the conclusion that Eggman and Eggrobo have to be tied down to Sonic and Knuckles respectively, even if the mini-bosses or bosses aren't the regular ones (MGZ and CNZ the most obvious) but then there are oddities like Eggman in LBZ for Knuckles. :v:

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

First of all, you certainly like to get Knuckles hurt, don't you? Second, EggRobo blowing up the Death Egg was brilliant! Haha

15. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmyKqtrlbKQ" target="_blank">Mushroom Hill</a> is finished!

16. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    On that last palette swapper of Knuckles where it goes from green straight to grey, I wonder which palette it would go to if you went back though the tunnel? Green or brown?

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    <!--quoteo(post=374190:date=Nov 16 2009, 02:41 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Nov 16 2009, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374190">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On that last palette swapper of Knuckles where it goes from green straight to grey, I wonder which palette it would go to if you went back though the tunnel? Green or brown?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Brown.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Thought so, it is a specific hardcoded object doing it. Still, never hurts to check =P

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I seriously hope you're not trying to do a video for Flying Battery Zone.

Anyway, as said before, this is something most of us have done, but at least it's good to have a full video series on it. Keep it up!

20. <!--quoteo(post=374416:date=Nov 17 2009, 02:49 AM:name=DigitalDuck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DigitalDuck @ Nov 17 2009, 02:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374416">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I seriously hope you're not trying to do a video for Flying Battery Zone.

Anyway, as said before, this is something most of us have done, but at least it's good to have a full video series on it. Keep it up!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually...yes. I will be doing a video for every zone, so I did search for some alternate paths with the characters. There was only one part in particular that Sonic couldn't reach, so thats in, but the rest of the vid anyone can reach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.