don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles in 26:53.06

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blivsey, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    http://youtu.be/kDUcVAAGB88
    publication on TASvideos | author comments

After more than four years since the previous TAS, Aglar and marzojr bring a 3:00.21 improvement over it. This was made with reference to the S3K disassembly here on Retro.

There's a second encode using a hack that keeps Sonic on-screen, so you can see what he's doing while waiting for the camera to catch up and load things.

...Happy 20th, Sonic 3!

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Is there any particular reason why the TASVideos community is still using 30fps for their YouTube encodes?

3. Blivsey

Blivsey

They've actually uploaded quite a few 60FPS videos. I have no clue why this one doesn't have it.

4. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Encoder derped while uploading?

Or, you can just take the ROM, the emulator, and movie file and play it back on your computer. That's how I usually watch TASes.

5. Flygon

Flygon

Want me to fix that? :v:

6. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I meant to have finished the TASes on Sonic's birthday, but sadly didn't have the time. Thanks for the plug :).

For the curious, there is also a run that starts with all emeralds, which is still in the process of being published.

7. Blivsey

Blivsey

Hyper Sonic TAS is up.
    http://youtu.be/frGmS9Y5BS4
    submission | camhack version

edit:
    I wouldn't consider this a very big 'plug'... Unless it hits the Retro front page (which would be a hell of a plug).

On a similar note, it's not long until AGDQ'15, huh? I should make that topic sooner or later.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    My ears are burning~

9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'm pretty sure the game is sped up slightly - the music seems faster than it should be, and I've got the game on Mega Drive, Mega Collection AND Steam so I'm pretty sure I'm right.

So, if it's sped up, that surely illegitimately decreases the time, which is pretty rubbish.

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It's not sped up.

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    >England

Welcome to 60Hz Mega Drive games. :v: This is running at the correct speed.

12. Flygon

Flygon

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30J_6D4Ll18[/media]
    Since someone complained about the lack of 60fps YT upload. I'll probably handle the other videos (and properly handle them in such a way to enable the 4k mode... though, iirc, the 60gps feature caps @ 1080p at the moment anyway) if the TASVideos staff don't fix their mistake and I feel bored enough.

13. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It wasn't a complaint so much as confusion. It's obvious 60fps encodes are being produced and uploaded to archive.org, so I was surprised YT didn't get it also.

14. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Are you sure you aren't confusing PAL timing (50 fps) with NTSC timing (60 fps)? The former would technically be the illegitimate one, since the original versions of the game (Japan and USA) were NTSC.

15. Vertrex

Vertrex

Layin' the wax and spinnin' the sound Member
    I wish I was this good at the three original Sonic games, but anything done in TAS seems almost impossible for me to do.
    Still, this is really cool. B-)

16. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    You don't know how many joyous tears I cried when the Gamecube Mega Collection asked me if I wanted to play at 60hz. The age of being oppressed by slowdown and borders on the 16-bit classics was a thing of the past.

only for Gems collection to force everything back to 50hz again. thanks sega..

17. Flygon

Flygon

Okay, so... apparently the reason they aren't uploading 60fps versions of the videos to YouTube is because, and I quote, "60 fps on YouTube does nothing we might be interested in. It still can't deblink, so virtually it's the same 30 fps footage, just tweaked somehow."

What in the actual fuck? That... just... makes zero sense. All the proof otherwise and they have either the balls or the foolishness to claim this. I just can't understand this. :psyduck:

The S3K TAS's just so clearly work so far much more nicer at the full framerate. How is this deniable?

Edit: Trash this post if necessary. All it's doing is derailing the thread.

18. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Thanks for linking the thread. I added my thoughts.

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
  20. Flygon

Flygon

Well, it does need to be 720p or higher to get 60fps! :eng101: