don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles : How do the save pictures work?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Retro_Stew, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Hi everyone,

Sorry if it has already been asked before, but I wanted to know how the pictures of the save files in Sonic 3 & Knuckles work. I think this is related to how you finish the game the first time (with all the emeralds, all the super emeralds, etc.). Because you may or may not result having this picture :

[​IMG]
    (don't mind the "save editor" stuff, that's the only picture I could find)

I recently bought a Genesis with Sonic 1,2,3,Knuckles,3D... And it may sound stupid, but I wanted to have all my saves in Sonic 3 & Knuckles in the right order, with the picture of each caracter in super/hyper form.

I've looked in the wiki, but I couldn't find any info about that.

Any help?

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  3. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
    IIRC.

Completing the game with all emeralds gives you the picture above and the others are got by the following...

SONIC:
    0-6 Chaos Emeralds - normal Sonic picture
    7 chaos + up to 6 super emeralds - Super Sonic.

KTE:
    0-6 Chaos Emeralds - normal Knuckles picture
    7 chaos + up to 6 super emeralds - Super Knuckles (slightly Pink looking with a lightning effect?).

Tails:
    0-6 Chaos Emeralds - normal Tails picture (Green background)
    7 chaos + up to 6 super emeralds - Super Tails (Blue background)

4. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Depends on the number and type of Emeralds you end the game with.

Normal Sonic Icon: Finish the game with Sonic/Sonic & Tails without getting 7 Chaos Emeralds
    Super Sonic Icon: Same as above, collect the 7 normal Emeralds
    Normal Knuckles: Finish the game with Knuckles without getting 7 Chaos Emeralds
    Super Knuckles: Same as above, collect the 7 normal Emeralds
    Normal Tails: Finish the game with Tails without getting 7 Chaos Emeralds
    All 3 of them: Finish the game with all 7 Super Emeralds, regardless of characters

I never saw the other Tails one, I guess it's like the Super Sonic/Knuckles one.

This works only with S3K. Normal Sonic 3 gets you the Super Sonic one if you collect all 7 Chaos Emeralds, even if you play as Tails.

Someone should confirm this, however.

Edit: too late

5. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Ahhh, thank you! I knew it was something like that!

6. gold lightning

gold lightning

Whoa, I almost got ninja'd there.
    I think this is exactly how it works, but I don't have time to confirm it right now.

7. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I believe these work in the following way;
    [All uses of the word complete mean beating the last boss and the credits roll]

If you complete the game without collecting all of the Chaos Emeralds, then the following pictures are displayed (With the relevant character portrait being used):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you complete the game with all of the Chaos Emeralds collected, but not all of the Super Emeralds collected, the following pictures are displayed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you complete the game with all of the Super Emeralds, then this one is displayed on the save file, regardless of character:
    [​IMG]

There is an exception, however. If you complete the game with, say, all of the Chaos Emeralds and Six Super Emeralds (missing one Super), then the Chaos Emerald portrait is used. If you then decide to go back and get the missing Super Emerald on the completed file, the portrait won't update until you complete the game again. In that regard, you can have a file completed with all Super Emeralds and the standard portrait, or complete the game as quick as possible and then go back, get all 14 emeralds, complete the game, updated portrait, etc.

And if all of this has nothing to do with what you were on about, I apologise. :v:

EDIT: Ninja'd. Boy am I late.

8. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
    No problem. However if you complete the game with 7 chaos + up to 6 super emeralds, then go back and get the last super emerald, the picture will not change to the one you posted, unless you play the file, and let the ending run after The Doomsday, Death Egg or Sky Sanctuary have been beaten.

Edit: Ah! Balls I never read all of DAG's above post ¬_¬

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Ok I will wikify this using DAG's post as base since he's the one who descrived it better.
    I knew it was something like that but since I wasn't sure I didn't want to provide wrong information again.

edit: started it, I will complete it soon: Sonic 3 & Knuckles chronology and endings/Character Icons

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Soo....No Chaos Emerald picture?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.