Sonic 3 & Knuckles Competition mode offsets?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Chaos Rush, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I'm fully aware of the fact that Sonic 3 & Knuckles doesn't work on jEnesisDS. Can someone tell me the offsets at where the Competition mode stuff is located, and their music too? Because I remember someone saying that clearing that out would make it work, and I plan on manually deleting those bytes with a hex editor if I have to.

EDIT: Nevermind, this topic is useless.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    :rolleyes:

That won't work.

Unless you use a dissasemly and get rid of ALL the unwanted stuff and do some major editing, then it MIGHT be small enough. Using a hex editor to clear that stuff would break the ROM.

3. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=441200:date=Apr 11 2010, 11:28 PM:name=Chaos Rush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chaos Rush @ Apr 11 2010, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441200">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm fully aware of the fact that Sonic 3 & Knuckles doesn't work on jEnesisDS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And that's only because jEnesisDS seems to collapse upon attempting to load any ROM that's 4Mbytes in size.

Bit of a shame that Lordus didn't think of fixing this before Sega lured him away from the homebrew scene with filthy lucre and lollipops.

4. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    <!--quoteo(post=441232:date=Apr 11 2010, 04:16 PM:name=Rika Chou)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rika Chou @ Apr 11 2010, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441232">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:rolleyes:

That won't work.

Unless you use a dissasemly and get rid of ALL the unwanted stuff and do some major editing, then it MIGHT be small enough. Using a hex editor to clear that stuff would break the ROM.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I tried it and successfully broke the title screen ;_;...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And that's only because jEnesisDS seems to collapse upon attempting to load any ROM that's 4Mbytes in size.

Bit of a shame that Lordus didn't think of fixing this before Sega lured him away from the homebrew scene with filthy lucre and lollipops.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm no programmer, but I wish someone would somehow try to enable 4mb games. It's possible, Sonic Classic Collection is proof.

5. <!--quoteo(post=442081:date=Apr 13 2010, 05:32 PM:name=Chaos Rush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chaos Rush @ Apr 13 2010, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=442081">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=441232:date=Apr 11 2010, 04:16 PM:name=Rika Chou)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rika Chou @ Apr 11 2010, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441232">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:rolleyes:

That won't work.

Unless you use a dissasemly and get rid of ALL the unwanted stuff and do some major editing, then it MIGHT be small enough. Using a hex editor to clear that stuff would break the ROM.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And that's only because jEnesisDS seems to collapse upon attempting to load any ROM that's 4Mbytes in size.

Bit of a shame that Lordus didn't think of fixing this before Sega lured him away from the homebrew scene with filthy lucre and lollipops.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm no programmer, but I wish someone would somehow try to enable 4mb games. It's possible, Sonic Classic Collection is proof.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They removed 2-Player mode entirely I believe. That would help, wouldn't it?

6. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    <!--quoteo(post=442082:date=Apr 13 2010, 02:37 PM:name=RGamer2009)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Apr 13 2010, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=442082">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=442081:date=Apr 13 2010, 05:32 PM:name=Chaos Rush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chaos Rush @ Apr 13 2010, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=442081">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=441232:date=Apr 11 2010, 04:16 PM:name=Rika Chou)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rika Chou @ Apr 11 2010, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441232">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:rolleyes:

That won't work.

They removed 2-Player mode entirely I believe. That would help, wouldn't it?
    It wasn't actually removed from the rom. They just removed the option from the title screen. You can still access it with an ActionReplay.

7. Granville

Granville

US
    <!--quoteo(post=441995:date=Apr 13 2010, 02:07 PM:name=MarzSyndrome)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MarzSyndrome @ Apr 13 2010, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441995">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=441200:date=Apr 11 2010, 11:28 PM:name=Chaos Rush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chaos Rush @ Apr 11 2010, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441200">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm fully aware of the fact that Sonic 3 & Knuckles doesn't work on jEnesisDS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And that's only because jEnesisDS seems to collapse upon attempting to load any ROM that's 4Mbytes in size.

Bit of a shame that Lordus didn't think of fixing this before Sega lured him away from the homebrew scene with filthy lucre and lollipops.
    He did think of it actually. Back in 2008, before he disappeared off the face of the internet, I used to talk to him on Pocket Heaven. He told me that he was actually working on large rom support by implementing a paging system to load chunks of the rom into memory at a time. Other emulators such as SnemulDS and Lameboy already do that, he said it wasn't very hard. I guess he was working on it when SEGA contacted him and offered to hire him. I assume they threatened him not to release anything else too, because we never heard from him again. He was also planning a lot more compatibility and sound fixes too from what I heard... Shame sega had to step in. :rolleyes:

8. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    <!--quoteo(post=442191:date=Apr 13 2010, 08:38 PM:name=Granville)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Granville @ Apr 13 2010, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=442191">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=441995:date=Apr 13 2010, 02:07 PM:name=MarzSyndrome)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MarzSyndrome @ Apr 13 2010, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441995">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=441200:date=Apr 11 2010, 11:28 PM:name=Chaos Rush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chaos Rush @ Apr 11 2010, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441200">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm fully aware of the fact that Sonic 3 & Knuckles doesn't work on jEnesisDS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He did think of it actually. Back in 2008, before he disappeared off the face of the internet, I used to talk to him on Pocket Heaven. He told me that he was actually working on large rom support by implementing a paging system to load chunks of the rom into memory at a time. Other emulators such as SnemulDS and Lameboy already do that, he said it wasn't very hard. I guess he was working on it when SEGA contacted him and offered to hire him. I assume they threatened him not to release anything else too, because we never heard from him again. He was also planning a lot more compatibility and sound fixes too from what I heard... Shame sega had to step in. :rolleyes:
    Lameboy, seriously? What GB/C rom is big enough to warrant that?

9. Flygon

Flygon

<!--quoteo(post=442217:date=Apr 13 2010, 09:52 PM:name=Covarr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Covarr @ Apr 13 2010, 09:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=442217">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lameboy, seriously? What GB/C rom is big enough to warrant that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Off the top of my head, Cannon Fodder, Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone along with the Chamber of Secrets. Cannon Fodder has like, 5 minutes worth of PCM audio in it, and for the Harry Potter games? Massive amounts of compressed text, art, music... the whole game(s) is a compressionfest (And lagfest if it streamed enough sprites) and it still needed 4 megabytes of room. It's also worth noting that Cannon Fodder had its PCM almost completely unintelligible due to Lameboys terrible PCM emulation... Philosophers Stone didn't fare too much better, Chamber of Secrets wasn't so liberal with the PCM use, possibly for space reasons.

I'm sure there is a few other 4 megabyte games out there too, Pokemon Crystal is one to my recollection.

Also, it's posts like this that make me regret obsessing over these games.

10. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=442191:date=Apr 14 2010, 04:38 AM:name=Granville)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Granville @ Apr 14 2010, 04:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=442191">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=441995:date=Apr 13 2010, 02:07 PM:name=MarzSyndrome)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MarzSyndrome @ Apr 13 2010, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441995">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=441200:date=Apr 11 2010, 11:28 PM:name=Chaos Rush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chaos Rush @ Apr 11 2010, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441200">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm fully aware of the fact that Sonic 3 & Knuckles doesn't work on jEnesisDS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dang. What could have been, eh?

Perhaps this is a good opportunity for someone to do a proper PicoDrive for the DS, to replace the abandoned attempt from yonks before. It's already a good name emulator on PSP and GP2X after all.

11. Granville

Granville

US
    <!--quoteo(post=442217:date=Apr 13 2010, 11:52 PM:name=Covarr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Covarr @ Apr 13 2010, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=442217">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=442191:date=Apr 13 2010, 08:38 PM:name=Granville)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Granville @ Apr 13 2010, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=442191">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=441995:date=Apr 13 2010, 02:07 PM:name=MarzSyndrome)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MarzSyndrome @ Apr 13 2010, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441995">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=441200:date=Apr 11 2010, 11:28 PM:name=Chaos Rush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chaos Rush @ Apr 11 2010, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=441200">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm fully aware of the fact that Sonic 3 & Knuckles doesn't work on jEnesisDS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lameboy, seriously? What GB/C rom is big enough to warrant that?
    The Harry Potter games, Donkey Kong Country (the GBC port), Shantae, Grand Theft Auto, Mickey's Speedway, Rayman, Rayman 2, Tomb Raider, Perfect Dark, Dragon Quest III, Dragon Quest Monsters 2, Star Ocean Blue Sphere, Dragon's Lair, Alone in the Dark. Some more Japan-only games too, you can research them on rom sites or whatever if you're curious, they list the sizes and such. There are a few 4MB GBC games. Shantae is certainly worth that size and probably the best of them all.

Bet you didn't even know some of those existed! There's even an 8MB GBC game called Densha De Go! 2. Some kind of train sim. I think it's the largest GBC game and the only 8MB game on the system. I am doubtful it even works on Lameboy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.