don't click here

Sonic 3 & Knuckles Advanced.

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Robjoe, Oct 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robjoe

Robjoe

Alright, I'm needing opinions on a few new pallettes again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the redone second pallette for MHZ. Although, I also came up with this too:

[​IMG]

Which is better? I personally am kinda thinking to keep the top one for #2, and expand upon the bottom (new 'shrooms, new BG, et al.) and use it as pallette #3. But I'm none too certain on what I'll do as of yet. What's you guys' opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's SSZ1's (Sonic and Tails) pallette, which I knocked up just last night. I'm quite liking it myself. How do you people like it?

I've also brought the old Knux event song back in as a placeholder (like with the title song). I am working hard at getting a new release out soon, so that you can play CNZ1, experience the new pallettes in-game, as well as other things.

2. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I think the blue MHZ looks better, but the purple trees are questionable. Make the orange on SSZ a bit darker and deeper and that'll be a pretty decent palette. I think I might make a hack of S3K actually coz I'm pretty bored.

3. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Shoot for the first MHZ pallet, but change the grass to orange. As for SSZ, make the sky red. Good work on them pallets.

4. Robjoe

Robjoe

[​IMG]

Like that?

[​IMG]

*Note that I only did the FG for now* I think it looks alright, but I kind of prefered green grass myself. Although I don't know if I'll keep it. Depends on how the others think of it.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Those are wonderful. Keep it up. :)

6. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    The orange grass goes well with the rest of the pallete as in the colors match well, but I don't care for grass being orange.

7. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    I would be angry at you for stwealing my SS Palette, but you perfected it far beyond my beta One before y compy died.

Besides, You might have not seen it before hand.

Anyway, It's pretty good. Keep up the good work.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You can't "steal" a palette. I do believe we've discussed this before and came to that conclusion.

Art, however, is a much different story.

9. Gunner112k

Gunner112k

Catch Thirty-Three Oldbie
    These are some kickass palettes. I hope everything works out for you.

10. Shade

Shade

My god, those are looking great. Looking forward to seeing more :)

11. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    Really? I don't believe I was part of that, or I just don't emember, Anyway, We spoke about it at school. We seem to be making very similer level palettes.

12. Robjoe

Robjoe

Thanks for all your compliments guys! I really appreciate them. :) So far, it looks as though the orange/brown grass in MHZ #2 will stay. Last night I was putting some work into the third and final pallette for MHZ, and I've once more came up with two, and I can't decide which to keep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm kinda swaying in favor of the first option myself. But, ever since I was a kid, I always wanted a completly black and white MHZ, so I'm not sure.

13. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    Like I said on AIM, it should steadily go from color to black and white, instead of getting all dead like in the original. But, it's just a suggestion.

14. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Especially when the whole concpt of making an entire palette similar to another one without looking at the allegidly copied comes into play, then the whole concept of "stealing a palette" falls to nothing but emotional cry, IMO because of this probable occurance...

I hope that made a lick of sense.

15. Robjoe

Robjoe

Well, I've decided to ditch the black and white idea, as it doesn't sound too hot (well, to me anyway). I've now came up with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does the grass look splotchy? And should I make the teal on the wood/mushroom stems deeper? And, how does this look in general?

16. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Aww, perfect. I don't see how anyone could disagree. The colors are smooth on the eyes... They just click together.

EDIT: On second thought... it would be nice if you showed the palettes used later in the level. No prob with the one there though.

17. Flygon

Flygon

umm I downloaded the IPS file but how do you use an IPS file?

18. Jigen

Jigen

We are all one Member
    looks real nice to me.
    flygon, you need to get a program that can patch rom files. I use Lunar IPS.

19. Robjoe

Robjoe

Great! Thanks again. Looks like I've finally found a winner, and I can move away from MHZ. Those shots were during pallette two because no pallette editor that I know of can access MHZ's third pallette. So, I copied my hack, and did that in place of #2 in SonED Then, yesterday, I found the addresses for the third pallette within the ROM, and ported my work in. It's the same story with my CNZ lights out pallette, seen below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any Compliments/complaints/suggestions/etc.? I'm more than happy to hear them.

You must apply it to a clean ROM using an IPS Patcher (I personally reccomend StealthPatch, but anything should do). Select a clean S3K ROM, then my patch (there is no extra data set), then the patchiong should be complete. But beware, that version is old and kinda crap, so bear that in mind as you play. I'm gonna have a new version out before too long, which I'll upload as a full ROM (and maybe a patch for 56K users).

20. Guardian

Guardian

Pending Member
    Sonic &amp; Mario
    Love the palettes. I however was going to hack the S3&K rom myself. However I discovered recently that the compressed edited art "Does not" show up in the S3&K rom, only in the S3 rom instead. Very strange. But I think I know why. Sega Data Compressor doesn't cover the S&K game. Which probably why some data must have been overwritten and my edited compressed art refuses to show up. I tried to decompress the art in S3&K rom but it had errors. Sad. Oh well. I'll just stick to my S3 instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.