don't click here

Sonic 3 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Relick, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    Ah crap. Well, at least we know it's to do with your sound card ;). By the information I've found here it appears to have way more channels than are actually used at the moment.

Sorry to hear you lost your work :(, we'll fix it by the next release (however remember that it could in fact be your computer, as we don't have a second person who can clarify).

2. winterhell

winterhell

Sorry to hear about the crash. Sadly its not something in the actual code for the game. It can be rather from the .Net framework ( broken dlls ) , the XNA itself or a particular configuration of the host PC.
    I remember once that the second FlashGet finished downloading a particular file that I was looking forward to, my PC crashed and the FAT table was mostly unrecoverable. Its probably not the program to blame.

3. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    It still looks pretty "off," if you ask me. Particularly the muzzle and the spines. Here's a quick trace I did of the original sprite for comparison: http://puu.sh/fETe

The top spine appears to start losing its curve towards the end, which looks really weird. Additionally, Sonic's muzzle is too large (the area where his mouth is), IMO; it also looks weird.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, that's looking good even if it's based on the sprite. Not as cool as the artwork in my oppinion, but it just has its own style without noticeable flaws with the proportions.

Any plans on tracing and coloring it?

5. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Eh, might as well. Brb, photoshop.

6. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Hey I just wanna pop in and say when we were making the final Sonic sprite for S2HD, we made sure much more went into it than just simply tracing the sprite. You need to go back and study all of the original Japanese art and adapt that to the existing sprite's dimensions and animatons. There is no reason you should even have to use the Sonic 3 sprite, it's just my opinion but Sonic 3 has one of the worst Sonic sprites. This is Sonic 3 HD and you don't have the same limitations and restrictions that the original game had, and if you limit yourselves to those same restrictions your game will never blossom into what it has the potential to achieve. Make the sprite your own.

One final thought - do what you think is right, use feedback only here for suggestions on how to improve yourself, but don't take them all at face value or the art will become a mess. It's what happened on S2HD and it took a long time to fix because of it.

7. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    So long as I'm not the only one doing it, I actually made this over a month ago, but gave up work on it when I got busy and realized that due to slap-dash drawing I was more or less making the exact same mistake with the hands that I said to avoid, among other issues.

8. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Now that is exactly what I was talking about. It looks much more in line with the original artwork and is way better than simply tracing the sprite. Keep this up for any future assets and you're golden.

9. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    On second thought, screw that. I'll finish it up... eventually. Anyway though...

I agree, that does look quite nice, although as with the S3HD sprite, the muzzle looks a bit weird. I dunno, I've always been picky about the muzzle like that. In terms of my trace of the sprite though, it was really just to prove the point that regardless of what they're basing it off of, the proportions were still... "off", for lack of a better word (despite how funky the sprite is on its own).

And not to derail, but personally I like the Sonic 3 sprite over the others almost entirely because of the way his head looks. I would explain in detail, but that's going a bit more off-topic than I feel comfortable with.

So, moving on...

10. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    Just realized you can't see out newest one.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It does look similar to the sprite, but it also looks like the official art.

Yeah, the feedback from here has caused quite a few problems. Before some of us were trying to please everyone on here. Luckily we solved the problem.

11. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Are you really understanding how much work is involved in making an extended character frameset, including animation templates to strictly follow? For both Sonic, Tails and Knuckles? It doesn't come as an harsh comment, but if you don't realize the amount of work and the steps required for it, you'll end up redrawing the same frames over and over until you'll quit bored by it.

12. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    I crated the characters so I could easily create new frames for animation. Our tech demo Sonic wasn't crated like this so it was a lot to make frames for it that it will be with our new one.
    The way we're doing it is by making a a simple outline of the animation (I'm not doing this someone else is.) then tracing over it and finalizing it. So far no animations have been made. Depending on how fast the outlines are made we should get them all done relativity fast.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    "Relatively fast"? Don't underestimate how much work this is.

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I'm sure they know by now how much work this is by now; 'Relatively fast' to them is most likely significantly slower than what you see as 'relatively fast'. Which is probably why he said the word 'relatively' in the first place.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    He said that he created the characters so that he could easily create new frames of animation. By my understanding, there's nothing easy about the task being undertaken. Alot of people use the word "relatively" rather flippantly, and I feel like that is the case here.

16. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    Well, the tech demo Sonic had all his animations made in about 3 months(By that I mean the ones that appear in the demo.). It wasn't created to easily make changes (at the time I didn't have the experience to do so.) the new one however has been made that way. If I were to create the basic animations with no extra frames I could do it in half the time with the new one, and it would look better.
    Pretty much trial and error I made one model and a bunch of problems while creating the other frames. I know what would have made it easier and I made my new model to eliminate the problems I ran into.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But that new standing sprite still looks off, perhaps you should finish polishing its proportions before working on the animations.

18. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Right, since words are bad for explaining this, this sums up where my major gripes are with, with extra attention to one spot:

[​IMG]

(pointing to the eyes, eyebrow, ear, mouth, top quill, and that fucking shoe)

That fucking shoe. Fix that, since it's ugly as sin. The sprite would also be nice to be redesigned as shown by Clutch and SF94.

'Course, you're likely to come back with the argument that it's meant to recreate the original sprite, but for fuck's sake, the lack of perspective on the shoe and similar problems on that area are really, really fucking annoying.

Also, there's the shading right under the belly, like it's a circle on its own, but with the legs attached to that circle it looks odd.

19. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    Perspective is off in a few places, but that's about it(Probably because I adjusted the size of things a lot.). I will be fixing those problems when I get the chance.
    But, none of the animations have even been started to my knowledge.

Edit: Thanks for the feed back DarkSam, much easier to under stand. I was already aware of most of these problems. Nah, I'm not going to say that about the shoe, I realize it does have a few issues. (that shoe is a pain to get right.)

20. CorralSummer

CorralSummer

Sonic 2 HD
    http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/SonicaMaker/Stand.png
    This is the outline for Sonic our animator made. (Which I'm going to have to trace) He wanted me to post it here before I did so.