don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. I was not aiming to change those elements, I am quite happy with keeping things simple :)/>
    I just intended to have an optionally random element on the game, so every time you play it the special stages are not known, and so you have to work it out to get the emeralds.
    I mean, it'd be a new challenge to get all emeralds again. I guess it would add some thrill to the game.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Guys, those mechanics are not how Sonic 3 works. =P

3. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    This thread is over five years old? God, I'm getting old...

Well, I've finally come around to play this game, more or less, in its entirety. Since I was already doing the hipster thing, I turned that up to 11 and played through the game with Zone 0's guide. There were so many things in S3K I didn't know about, even though I've been playing this game for well over eleven years by now (not to mention that there still are some things I probably missed). Thank you for making this experience even more awesome, Tiddles!

I've been hunting high and low for bugs, but there were simply none at all I could point out, at least if you talk about important ones. There was one minuscule oddity in Death Egg 2 where Tails was immune to a particular set of spikes, though I don't know whether that was the result of a glitch or me being a derp. I was able to reproduce it after I finished the game using Debug though:

[​IMG]

Put that as low on your priority list as possible, cause it literally doesn't affect the game at all. I just didn't want to write a reply without some sort of contribution. :v:

Now just the obligatory question, because I acted like a kid getting his Xbox on Christmas when I saw this:
    How?!

4. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    Yeah, five years, wow. I feel pretty old myself. :)

Quite uselessly, I've mostly lost track of who is credited for what and why in that section - I tried to be comprehensive and list everyone I could remember who'd worked on a tool or disassembly I used, or had written up any sort of guide I'd used parts of. Hopefully this means I don't miss anyone, but it does mean that a bunch of people end up in there without knowing why! Thinking about it though, I think I used a tool of yours to do some quick conversions between binary and assembly dc.x format at some point; I can't remember what I was doing, but it certainly saved a bunch of fiddling. :)

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll check those spikes sometime; they might be fake show spikes, which seem to show up here and there in DEZ...

5. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    So, I've downloaded the latest version of the hack and learned that a Genesis rendition of the unused track from Sonic & Knuckles Collection was added as an alternate theme for the super forms. However, I had no luck in finding such an option when I went to the configuration settings. Incidentally, I looked through the list of patches and couldn't find it there, either. Is there something I'm missing, or is this song unlocked through other means?

6. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Perhaps confusingly, it's nestled in Music Options -> Zone Music Options, after the CNZ/ICZ/LBZ music switches. You want Super Theme set to <Special Theme>. Since the default is to play zone music, I cheated on its menu location to even out the menu lengths.

7. Felik

Felik

Can you please make a tine explanation on what point of boot menu does what? I have hard time understanding what do some of the menu options do.

8. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Yeah, it's become clear (and isn't a huge surprise) that not all of them are particularly understandable, so some kind of documentation is on the cards - but I plan to move a lot of things so I don't want to get too heavily into it yet. If there are any particular things that are confusing, I can try to explain them here.

Bear in mind, though, that I mostly chose the defaults for some reason or other. Clearly the options are there so that they can be changed, but in general, unless you think "Ah, I know what that is and I want it the other way," the default option is probably the right answer.

9. I know that you want to keep the game as authentic as possible, but I've got to ask: Do you have any ideas how to fix the boss difficulty?

What I mean is, I was playing this yesterday, and got to where you fight Big Arms, then transition to the S&K part of the game. I'm certain that the sudden drop in difficulty wasn't originally planned, and was only so that people who played S&K alone wouldn't have to start at an insane difficulty for the opening levels. I was wondering, would it be a good idea to have an option available that makes Sonic fight the Knuckles version of the S&K bosses, to try and even the difficulty curve. I can imagine making precise jumps where Knuckles would glide during the Mushroom Hill/Valley boss fight after having to precisely aim your jumps during the Big Arms fight in the previous level. If not the straight Knuckles fights, maybe something a bit in-between? Harder than default, but not impossible.

10. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Probably not a high priority, but would it be possible to balance monitor distribution for the S1/S2 options? Shield monitors in particular are everywhere in Sonic 3 since there are three separate kinds, but when there's only one, I feel like some would be better off as ring boxes. And then there's the bonus stages and their truckload of shields...

11. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Debug mode has nothing to do with the glitch he is showing. When going through the boosters, they set x_vel and ground_vel so they work both on air and on ground. However, the magnitude of Knuckles' speed during glide is controlled by his ground_vel variable, while the direction is controlled by an angle variable stored in his OST. Knuckles' x_vel while gliding is computed from both of these. Thus, going through the booster from either direction while gliding increases Knuckles' glide speed, which fails when gliding to the left through the booster because the angle variable is unchanged.

12. Immediately after I posted that I came to the realization when looking back at the footage. I was thinking of the whole "Glitches in debug mode thing" whilst being blind to the fact that there was no correlation between the two. Should have asked to trash the post. Sry.

13. Lila M-3210

Lila M-3210

I have a quick question regarding the Customizer. I have seen options to patch the Sonic 1 style shields. This has peaked my interest and I want to know something of importance. Do the shields just palette swap, restoring the abilities of each Sonic 3 Shield, or do they remove the abilities outright? If it is the latter, it would definitely be nice to have a sort of "retraux" shield that would fit the style of Sonic 1.

But don't mind me. I understand this hack is your decision. I just wanted to ask the question.

14. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    The S2/S1 shields act like the original versions, even down to removing projectile deflection. You can still instashield while they're active, though - I took the position of "classic shields make no difference to the presence or absence of shield powers" rather than "classic shields have no shield powers", and practically speaking, you don't want to exchange a useful ability for nothing and call it an upgrade.

It would be possible to have graphics-only classic swaps using blue=water, grey=lightning and orange=fire (folks have noticed before that our classic shield monitor art actually lines up this way) but it's not something I plan to do at the moment.

15. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    It's been almost two years since a release. As usual, I'm wondering whats up with the project and what we should expect to see from you moving forward.

16. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    The update I gave in 2014 is mostly still applicable in terms of overall progress. There is work going on at the moment, but mostly not from me. I very rarely preannounce new features anyway, unless they're pretty much finalised, which would be close to a release, which we're not really. I wouldn't get too excited about new versions in the near future.

I'll reiterate what I said there - I'm very happy with the version that's out there, and not being aware of significant bugs or features anyone's clawing their eyelids out for, I am hoping it will suffice for a while.

17. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    [​IMG]

There is definitely stuff in the pipeline, guys. Just don't wait up for it, okay?

18. Tails' sprites are intriguing... :v: