don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's something I'm missing in the official Sonic 1 remake. =\

2. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    You're welcome. I always try to find ways to make things more efficient, just for the sake of it. I remember doing this a while ago, but I lost the code when I reformatted, and I didn't really care about backing it up. The BGR order is not efficient. You have to consider Y, "luma", first. Red, green and blue all translate to different amounts of grey light on the Y channel in YC composite. BGR is still an uneven sequence, I have found that BRG instead of BGR is the smoothest and most gradual looking of the nine possible sequence combinations of subtracting colors.

Personally, when designing an entirely new game, I'd prefer a table of 24 lightmaps that multiplies the maximum color (1.0) by a fraction lower than 1 instead of subtracting from it.

3. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    A huh? You've lost me... then again you said designing an entirely new game.
    Is there any way to emulate anything like this with M68K?

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    And that's something I miss in Sonic CD 2011!

(The original Sonic CD uses two fade techniques in different places. On the menus/videos etc it's the 'fixed' one, everywhere else it's the Sonic 1/2/3 fade).

5. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Hey Tiddles, do you think you'll figure out a way to implement Penguinator's normally unused sprites?

[​IMG]

Also, what about the unused gumball sprites?

6. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    They already work fine, as far as I'm aware... there are just no Penguinators in the object layout that would ever show the last two up. The first two can easily be seen in normal gameplay (for instance, go high by the lightning shield at the start of ICZ2 and watch two of them slide off the top of the half-loop).

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    weren't those supposed to be in the beginning? Since there's a snow board under them and everything.

8. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    First and probably biggest question is, what should they do? The S ball could maybe give 50 rings (and semi-related, so could the Super Sonic slot machine tile), but AFAIK no one has any idea what the F ball would've done.

I also had an idea for a tweak to the save screen. Technically the game considers having a greyed-out Super Emerald as a different thing than having the corresponding Chaos Emerald (which is why you lose the ability to go Super). The save screen does not make this distinction, however. Would it be worth adding that in, or is it so small as to be pointless?

9. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

I've always imagined the F gumball to be intended for something like "Fall" or "Fail", but I think anything like that would've been a bit unfair and forced. Probably why it was removed. The S gumball would likely give 50 rings as you said as well, but considering you get bigger numbers of rings as you go up until 80 rings, it would probably be pointless to have something like that. Your idea for the greyed out Super Emerald on the save screen is actually neat, though.

10. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    Sorry, missed the gumballs question. No plans to do anything about that, since I really don't know what they were meant to do, reasonable guesses aside. Bear in mind this isn't really meant to be a "beta hack" - the FBZ options and Mushroom Valley name are a bit that way, and if you consider Sonic 3 to be a beta of S3&K, I guess a bunch more is, but release Sonic 3 is the yardstick for any backward changes most of the time.

Semi-super emeralds on the save screen: maybe.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Btw, for those of you who like this, it lives in a form that's greater than ever.

Butttt for now you won't see it. Secrecy you see. But believe me, it's awesome and if the day comes, it'll look great.

12. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Sonic 3 Complete for iOS?

13. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    That right there would practically be a license to print money...

14. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    It's just, idk why SEGA loves re-releasing Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 to everything (pretty sure Sonic 1 has been ported to the microwave by now), yet Sonic 3 & Knuckles gets no love :(/> (yes I know its on Steam lol)

I mean, idk what others think, but I honestly think that Sonic 3 Complete (or if we're only talking officially released games, then Sonic 3 & Knuckles) is the BEST 2D platformer of ALL TIME. Like really, my younger brother, who is a typical modern gamer (he's prestiged countless times on Black Ops 2) gave a shot at Sonic 3 Complete (I have it on my Wii via Homebrew Channel) and he's all "HOLY SHIT THIS IS FUN"

15. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    It's the fact that 3&K wasn't originally released as the massive game it was supposed to be, but rather in two seperate parts. So both halves were compared to 1 & 2 in their lone and brief states. Not fair, I know, but at least the consensus NOW is that 3K shits on its predecessors.

16. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Because Sega just doesn't know what is greatness, when it is sitting in the palm of their hands... with all due respect to them, of course...

The past couple years have been a SLIGHT return to form... and really... half of that wasn't SEGA, so much as it was Taxman and Stealth. With the other half being their own inferior attempts at nostalgia mining... seriously I'm looking forward to Lost Worlds... it's gonna be the first main series release in a long ass time that doesn't feel like a total rehash/re-release of something.

Taxman, Stealth, if you see this, SEGA NEEDS to let you do Sonic 3K. This Retro Engine re-release series just wouldn't be complete without it.

17. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Seconded. And let Tiddles's hack be the model of it. Just call it, "Sonic the Hedgehog 3: Special Edition" or something. Advertise it heavily. People who haven't played this wonderful game NEED to know the greatness of it.

"Play as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles!"
    "One EPIC game containing the levels of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994) and Sonic & Knuckles (1994)"
    "Play across 14 action-packed zones!"
    "Collect the Chaos Emeralds, and collect them again after they become the Super Emeralds!"
    "High-stakes boss fights!" (accompany this with a screenshot of the Lava Reef Act 2 boss)
    "As Sonic and Tails, stop the dastardly Dr. Eggman/Robotnik from restoring the Death Egg!"
    "As Knuckles, deal with the mess that Dr. Eggman/Robotnik has left on Angel Island/Floating Island!"
    "3 fun minigames you can access at checkpoints!"
    "New amazing shield powers!"
    "Much better than Sonic 4!

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Wow that Sonic and Knuckles title screen transition after launch base was SO awesome! I love it!

A question you didn't answer before: Would you think it'd be possible to add a 'Sonic 1&2' mode where the Sonic 2 drums replace the Sonic 3k/3D ones? I know the latter drumbank is a lot bigger but just replacing the ones that exist in both would do well enough already ;)

19. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I don't think they will because it would remind everyone that Hyper Sonic exists.
    They seem like they're trying desperately to avoid making people aware of it.
    I have no idea why.
    But I third the motion of this remake.

20. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Let alone Hyper Knuckles and Super Tails, obviously, but wow. That has to be it. I can't believe that possibility hasn't crossed my mind. What a bunch of dipshits.