don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. null1024

null1024

I would adore this.

This is probably my favorite hack of a Sonic game. It makes my favorite Sonic game better. :)

2. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I've seen hack pages handle credits by just crediting who helped in the info box then creating a seperate subsection in the article for credits where you can specify what each member did.

3. dsrb

dsrb

Sure. But there comes a certain point where someone contributes so frequently that they might not just be a mere contributor any more. That was what my question was about.

I enjoyed reading TOJ's and Tiddles's responses. It's not like it would be the end of the world if the wiki didn't document precisely the entire decision-making structure and history of the project: my question was simply geared towards getting a bit more recognition for people who may be less like contributors and more like team members, by some definition. In that respect, I think some more props in the article would be totally justified (assuming everyone would want them!) because not everyone reads this thread religiously – as they should. :v:

4. FlashingYoshi

FlashingYoshi

idk, maybe if Pending Approval allowed wiki edits Member
    This hack is really really good. I'm looking forward to the next release!
    (also, could you add an option to use Sonic 2 drums instead of Sonic 3?)
    ... Wow, this is my 16th post! I really need to do something useful on here.

5. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Speaking of the PC music, I was going through the Sonic 2 Retro Remix thread while looking for that hack's Genesis rendition of the Sonic Pinball Party Boss music and I stumbled upon this:

Thorn has his compositions of the PC Ice Cap Act 1 and the PC Launch Base Act 2 at his SkyDrive (available as MIDIs) among other things. (If anyone can, could you please show me where to get a clean version of this piece of the aforementioned SPP music? I think the original MIDI hosted on his SkyDrive mentioned below was removed long ago.)

6. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Does anyone know how well Sonic 3 Complete works on real hardware? I'm highly considering getting a repro made of it once the next version is out.

7. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    I'd be hard pressed to make any cast iron guarantees, but I do test it from time to time on flashcarts and have yet to run into any problems on real hardware.

8. Mach Sonic

Mach Sonic

Founder of Sonic Nutshell Oldbie
    North Carolina
    M.U.G.E.N.
    Having not really paid attention to the internet for a while, only to come back to something interesting like this? Looks like I've got a bunch of stuff to check out!

See also: Since Tiddles isn't have any issues on real hardware, something like this would be nice to add to the collection in the future. :)

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd pay someone money to give me a working genesis copy of this

10. MastaSys

MastaSys

I had this on my browser favorites
    I never tried myself, so I don't know anything about the quality, trust, etc, etc....
    but it might interest you for investigation.
    And since comercial roms are rejected I think it's fine.

http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=43&threadid=86597

11. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I contacted a guy a couple of weeks ago about some cartridges he was selling containing hacks from here, as I was wondering if he made them, so I can grab one featuring a hack I've worked on.
    http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/mr.smith.3.14116/
    There you go.

Edit: This guy also does the games with artwork on both the cartridge and case.

12. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    FWIW, I did start working with a friend on designing some "official" box covers/cart labels, but these are at a very early stage and neither of us have worked on them for a while - I can't promise when or if those will get done, but at least we're thinking about it!

13. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Fucking excellent! Can't wait to play Sonic 3 with Sonic 1 sprites on a real telly!

14. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Although I guess that's the downside of going for a repro: it's all fun and games as far as the menu options go, but whatever you customise the ROM to can never be changed again, and I'll never have room to make the player sprites dynamic menu options for instance.

For that reason, and since there tend to be updates sooner or later, I still think a flashcart is a more flexible option for this in most cases - but if you want a nice mastered copy, I won't say anything against it. :)

15. mdawgmike

mdawgmike

As others have stated, A flash cart would likely be your best bet at this point. I've played this, and other Sonic hacks, using the Neo MD Myth. It's a tad pricey ($140 US), but it's the best bang for the buck considering the number of titles you can cram onto it at one time. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=33

16. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    The (non-Mega) Everdrive is probably the best value for money unless you want Master System FM.

Also consider the Tototek MD Pro if you're thinking about a repro - it's relatively cheap, it fits in a cart with no buttons, slots or appendages, and you can run a single game without any ROM selection menu if you want, which makes it handy as a rewritable almost-repro. The major downside is that the programmer requires a parallel port, and one with very specific configuration and capabilities - most add-in parallel cards won't work with it, for instance. If you're considering one, definitely try to track down more info on that and see if you have or can find something that'll work with it. And old PC with an onboard parallel port and Windows <= XP is probably the best bet if you have one. How I wish someone would build a USB programmer for it (if such a thing is even possible!)

17. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I believe the Mega Everdrive is compatible with those rom hacks over the size of standard cartridges. So Ultimate MK Trilogy will work for example. Perhaps Pier Solar too if that ever gets dumped correctly.

18. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Actually, if you use linux, ucon64 will handle programming the MD-Pro using any parallel device (with the compatible mode). Just edit config.h before compiling so it uses ppdev:

Code (Text):
    1. /* use ppdev for parallel port I/O (default: no) */
    2. #define USE_PPDEV 1
    and it will use the ioctl() calls in linux to handle the parallel registers regardless of how they're mapped. It's only for *nix... Windows doesn't have such a feature. Works great for me on 12.04 Xubuntu. The only caveat is that you may need to remove the lp module before it can get exclusive access to the parallel device ("sudo rmmod lp" does the trick). Considering I haven't had a printer connected via parallel in a couple decades, that's not an issue. :v:

I use the parallel port for two things these days: the MD-Pro programmer, and the Jaguar BJL cable.

19. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Hello, new trial member here. First I'd like to say this is a fantastic hack, and I eagerly await the next release. Now, I have also found some small errors from the original game that have gone unnoticed.

First, Carnival Night Act 1, Sonic's path. If you take the upper right path at the first spinning shaft, you will be sucked up a vacuum tube. Go left to another vacuum tube, incorrectly drawn. If that description is insufficient, the screenshot has debug coordinates shown.
    [​IMG]
    Although the tube sucks you left, it is drawn sucking to the right (note the direction of the dust particles). The graphics should be changed to a left-sucking tube.

Next, Sky Sanctuary, Sonic's version. If you make Knuckles wave you on at the beginning, he shifts right one pixel. These frames
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    are properly aligned, this frame
    [​IMG]
    is shifted right. Knuckles will appear to be constantly moving back and forth one pixel every time the sprites change.

Finally, Lava Reef Act 1, Sonic's path. More double rings! After the machine that breaks through the floor, you use a Spindash elevator. At the top,
    [​IMG]
    all four of these rings are actually 2 rings, just the one in Angel Island that has already been fixed.

EDIT: A few more little nitpicks I just found. First, Sonic's updated grabbing sprite for FBZ (well, one frame of it): [​IMG]
    The mouth is still styled like Sonic 2's sprites. It should be more like this: [​IMG]

Next FBZ1's boss, shown with background layers disabled:
    [​IMG]
    When the panels open revealing the eyes, the left panel moves one pixel to the left. The right panel stops flush with the side, whereas the left not only sticks out (easier to see with background removed), but reveals part of the panel under it (note the light grey line next to the eye on the left).

And I'm surprised I forgot this last one, because it's been bugging me since S&K Collection.
    [​IMG]
    WHAT THE HELL IS THE BLACK PIXEL ABOVE SUPER SONIC'S PUPIL? Is it part of the pupil (in which case it wasn't updated to green) or his fur (in which case it should be yellow)? I'll let you decide.

Sorry for being picky. I'm kinda OCD, and I just want this to be the best fix it can be.

20. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Don't be sorry. The crazy OCDness of all of S3C's fixes are a big part of what makes it so great.

Also, good on you for actively contributing on your first post. Welcome to Sonic Retro!