Sonic 3 And Amy Rose

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, May 12, 2012.

1. Wow, that title art looks amazing and helps to give the hack a very legit feel. (Really wish this could be offered with the official re-releases)

2. KingofHarts

KingofHarts

Project Sonic 8x16
    It is. Sonic 1 (2013) has a slightly different title screen for all 4 character options. Now whether or not it looks all that great, or matches with the rest of the art, well, that is another story...
    That being said, I do concur. The new title screen for this hack looks beautiful.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Well, it's kinda seven years late, but ANOTHER update, yaaayyyy.

Amy's controls have been fine tuned to better resemble her Advance 1 gameplay as with the other hacks:

* Amy can use Giant Steps now, with upward dash moved to up and jump.
    * Down momentum stop is now smoother. I know the lack of momentum stop can make upward dash more finicky, so I can add it to up press as well if you want in the future.
    * Hammer spin is no longer a downward thrust.
    * The on-foot hammer has been fixed so the player is locked into position while it runs.
    * The hammer animation syncs better with items it hits (eg. she doesn't bounce on a spring until the hammer lands on it).
    * I've also restored the greys on Amy's palette line to normal. This makes the other objects more consistent, though it makes the shade on Amy's shirt a little weird. I can edit it back if you guys think it's worse.

Known new bugs:

* Giant stepping into some areas like the pipes can glitch the animation.

The new revision is on the wiki.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Great work!

Just a few things:
    -Since Sonic appears in the title animation, maybe it should just be skipped?
    -The proper implementation of Giant Steps now renders the Peel Out redundant and a bit out of place, since the official Amy dash move is now present. I'd just get rid of it altogether.
    -Up + Fire does this brief twitchy animation.
    -Mappings in the jumping animation frames might need some moving around to make it look more fluid (her feet move in a kind of jerky manner).
    -Down + Fire makes the hammer hit the ground a bit too fast, I think? (how did the GBA game handle this?)
    -Optional "Fire with B button" version, pretty please? :V

5. Dr. Kylstein

Dr. Kylstein

In Hydrocity Act 1, the first set of turrets are destructible, but another set later aren't? [​IMG]
    I've attached a Kega savestate.

Attached Files:

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm using your savestate multiple times and even playing the level normally and each time the Blastoids and their platform explode as normal.

Unless there's a specific stipulation that is causing this glitch I think it might just the normal game bugging. Does this issue occur every time you play this part or just that one time? Anyone else having this problem?

7. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

You genuinely can't just remap the buttons? :P

And oh I assure you the peel out is still VERY vital, giant steps are useful but pretty ineffective in key areas of the game. Try doing the start of Hydrocity Act 2 without it.

Oh, and hasty update, I've noticed a bug where Knuckles can't spindash properly in Competition Mode. That is already fixed and will be in the next revision (truthfully I'd LOVE if I could find a way to make Knuckles' proper moveset work in Competition Mode though, I'll probably look into that).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm... pretty sure of it. =|
    [​IMG]

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

(sigh) Fine I'll look into it later.

Speaking of that though, from what I know, S3K Amy doesn't work on real hardware (and certain more sensitive emulators), I think this is down to a bad checksum, any simple way of pinpointing the problem in the code?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  10. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon

kakyoin did you lay this egg Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sonic Rocket, & others
    [​IMG]

Uh... maybe you should consider checking the collision detection for the hammer animations. They feel more broken than I remember.

11. Dr. Kylstein

Dr. Kylstein

I just loaded it again myself, and the standing hammer attack didn't work but I could get a jump attack to work eventually. Could be an intermittent glitch, fair enough. I just didn't want to be stuck there.

12. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

It still seems to be working fine for me. Might just be a random bug. Sonic 3 was so buggy the manual warned you about it after all. :P
    Yeah I had to expand Amy's hit box to make her consistently destroy some objects upon touching them. Admitedly I never really figured out how to refine it. It likely needs to expand only in one direction.