don't click here

Sonic 2D Blast?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Soselocke, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Can't you change it based on the region it's being played on? The original did that, didn't it?

2. Hold on, you might actually be right! I wondered why the ROM said (UE).

*checks*

Friggin' A. That's what'll happen then.

Slightly on topic, anyone know how I can predefine this particular game to open as a Europe PAL game? I think I'm on to it, but it doesn't seem to be working.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

In my Mac emulators, Genesis Plus and Generator you can go to preferences and select the hardware to emulate I believe. I think that I emulated on the PAL option by accident.

4. I know that, I want it to be on autodetect, but Europe (PAL) won't go to the top.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Kega Fusion has the option to force which you wanna use, if you have access to that.

6. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  7. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    [​IMG]

8. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    <!--quoteo(post=246439:date=Nov 16 2008, 06:11 PM:name=Jayextee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jayextee @ Nov 16 2008, 06:11 PM) [​IMG]
    Thanks for the tip, fixed

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

That is nice! The front-facing head looks strange though, and why are some of your frames blurry? For an effect?

10. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    [​IMG]

Rough Rusty Ruins mockup. I was thinking of having it mainly open in the background, but wasn't sure whether an overgrown forest or a vast Hydrocity-esque background would look better.

Thoughts?

11. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
  12. Titan

Titan

UK
    That's a really good start there Blanche.
    As for the background question...hmm..maybe we could compromise by having Act 1's BG be an overgrown forest and Act 2's BG being like Hydrocity (or vice-versa)?

13. If I remember Hydrocity's BG, it would look better as Act 2. It would work well with a little recolour.

How about something like Aquatic Ruin's BG for act 1?

And sorry, I can't do any art for a while, because I can't get on my laptop, and this computer sucks bolegnese.

14. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
  15. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I must've missed the majority of those, because I only remember Green Grove and Panic Puppet being posted. I quite like the idea of Sonic CD's spinners being used for Rusty Ruin, I'd forgotten such a thing existed in a previous game =P

16. Titan

Titan

UK
    lol thanks for reposting those I guess :P
    To be honest, the only background I was completely happy with was Volcano Valley....maybe Diamond Dust too.

Anyway, I'll try rooting around and see if I have the backgrounds on their own saved somewhere (I'm pretty sure I do)
    Oh, and the Flicky sprites too.

17. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    I would say given the idea of the setting being an island and given the map the background of Green Grove Zone should probably be mostly large close-observed mountains with hints of later stages in them, such as snow on top of one mountain (for Diamond Dust Zone) and a single trickle of lava flow from a vent on the side of another mountain (for Volcano Valley Zone) with sparse ruins seen in the trough of the mountain range (for Rusty Ruins). With Robotnik's large egg-shaped, Robotnik-faced factory looming in the distance.

[​IMG]

Kinda like this, I guess:
    [​IMG]

18. Titan

Titan

UK
    Hmm I'm not sure I really like that idea....I mean Sonic 1, 2 and 3 were all set on islands too, but you didn't really have the scenery from other zones visible in the distance for the first level....

In my GGZ background, I just had Rusty Ruin visible in the background, and the blue mountains I used for SSZ's background suggest Diamond Dust being in the background. I think just the following level being visible is enough rather than all of them.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

Maybe the Act 3 of each stage should have a custom background designed to show the next level's scenery looming in the distance. This could be used in a level transition like in Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
    A rough mock-up:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.