don't click here

Sonic 2006 currently relisted on XBLA Marketplace (360 only, no One/Series BC)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Beltway, May 24, 2022.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Mentioned this in The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge thread, but figured its newsworthy to get its own topic.

Not sure if this is a mistake made by someone over at MS…but Sonic 2006 is back on XBLA Marketplace for $5!
    Sadly, it’s not BC for the Xbox Series or Xbox One, however. But if you have a Xbox 360 lying around and you’re curious, grab it quick before it’s gone!

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/...77fe-1000-9115-d802534507d6?DownloadType=Game

(Credit to TechnoSyndrone on ResetEra for noticing/making a thread.)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Literally why. It was taken down because it's a poor game that shows the franchise in a negative light and now it's back up again? So much for a focus on quality.

3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Maybe it was a mistake by the people managing the store servers, maybe SEGA wants to tap into the ironic enjoyment some people get, who knows? At any rate, I don't see a problem with making the game accessible again if it is an intentional move, though I only wish such a mentality would be extended to more titles (and my cynicism dictates this ain't the case to begin with, given that the ROM versions of the Mega Drive games have no been pulled from Steam, etc.).

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Well that's a bit odd, though considering it's been getting decent reception from younger YouTubers these days, I guess there's a small demand for it? Maybe they'll use this to gauge if they should bother making newer XBOX consoles backwards compatible with it, which I certainly wouldn't mind. I used to go back to '06 fairly often, but these days I'd have to hook up an older console to play it.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Possibly by mistake as OP mentioned. It happens. Not the same exact situation but in one of my recent watches of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, for some reason one of the banned episodes snuck its way back into the rotation on Hulu, and after that it disappeared again. No idea why that happened

6. RikohZX

RikohZX

I wish it was backwards compatible. Just running the game via emulator and some minor patches from the community outright fixes the loading issues, I can imagine an Xbox Series X or even the Series S and a little patching could make the game's infamous loading a million times more bearable.

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    The first Forza Horizon went up for sale on Xbox again recently, for the better part of a day. It'd been long delisted due to licenses so like others have said it could just be a mistake. If anyone wants a digital copy it might be worth grabbing just in case.

8. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I don't plan on ever re-playing '06 but I think this is alright just for the sake of media preservation

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think they should make it backward-compatible and make a huge deal out of a new backward-compatible Xbox game and market the shit out of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. For 5 dollars I sort of want it. I don't know why

11. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Remember that Unleashed was once one of the delisted games, and Rise of Lyric is still up on the Wii U (for the time that has left). It seems that the initiative that got 06 delisted in the first place is dead, so it'd be better to leave it up, to give the curious a cheap way to get it easier.

12. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Honestly don't even see the point of that initiative continuing at this point. I can't imagine there's anyone so invested in the overall quality of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise who isn't aware of Sonic 06 whether or not Sega is able to make $5 off random purchases through a two-generations-old marketplace.

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Sega, just hire the P-06 guys and release Sonic 06 Mania already.

14. SSUK

SSUK

Oldbie
    Sure, I'll buy Sonic 06 again in 2022 for £3.40. Why the hell not.

15. Well that's a surprise, but a welcome one.

16. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    Purchased, thanks for the heads up. The 7 pieces of DLC cost more than the actual base game.

If SEGA did do backwards compatibility, I'd watch Amazon for "frequently purchased together" trends with Sonic Frontiers (physical) + Sonic 06 + another Sonic game on Xbox One/Series/360 BC... and an inevitable increase in "bought for the kids" reviews.

17. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Even if it is a pipe dream, 06 being backwards compatible would just be nice, since if it was you'd be able to play the entire mainline sonic series on xbox one/series x.
    (Except for heroes lolololoolololo)

18. VenomTH

VenomTH

It seems some people are reporting issues purchasing the game on Reddit as of an hour ago. It could be a mistake but this may mean that the relisting was unintentional and that the game may not be made backwards compatible. I purchased mine last night and it should still be playable on an Xbox 360 console as long as the servers remain up.

EDIT: Disregard this, it appears the game is still available.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  19. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I know this is a weird thing to imagine but I almost think 06 was originally taken down/never put back up because SEGA doesn't actually own the rights to Akon's Sweet Dream, and they didn't consider it worth it to put it back up with Sonic Unleashed the way they did.

As neat as that would be for P-06 to become an official thing, it'd really just have to be completed first before that happened. And even then, how do you think they would actually distribute it, for what price, etc...
    I think the closest we'll get is maybe an acknowledgement via youtube comment when the final release is made.

20. VelvetBlueDreams

VelvetBlueDreams

I think it's a mistake. It's not back up on PS3, and I think if they did it intentionally they'd put out both versions again.