Sonic 2 Super Sonic issue

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Flip, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flip

Flip

Ok so recently I have been playing sonic 2 for the first time in years, and have only recently been able to go super sonic (I struggled with the special stages), and I noticed that unlike sonic 3, S&K, etc, just jumping activates super. is there a way round this, or am I stuck with it? it is rather annoying activating super when I don't need it!

I have been playing on the Xbox 360.

thanks for any help you guys can provide

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    You're SOL.

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    Make sure you don't jump after you hit a signpost, you would be stuck in mid-air forever.

4. Flip

Flip

Ok so im guessing theres nothing I can do! o well, its just a bit annoying I hate having to go super when I don't need it, it just seems like a waste, but I suppose it adds a challenge! :thumbsup:

one more quick thing is this something likely to be altered in sonic 2 HD?

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It's something that's been patched in hacks for years. It's pretty easy to do, too.

6. Flip

Flip

I havnt really played many sonic 2 hacks but perhaps ill take a look. thanks

7. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Well Sonic 2 was before Sonic 3 and Knuckles (obviously) and the double jump to activate Super Sonic option was not yet implemented and since Sonic 2 was the first game to feature Super Sonic, he's basically in his early stages. It can be kind of annoying at times, for me its just because the music gets really annoying after a while lol I'd rather hear the stage music.

They could have also done it like that in Sonic 2 so players would activate Super Sonic easily and realize he exists. Because you collect emeralds in Sonic 1 and had no transformation who's to say players who don't read manuals playing Sonic 2 wouldn't realize if they double jumped they can activate a super form after obtaining all the chaos emeralds. That could be me just reading to deeply into it. I really think its just because it was a new feature in the Sonic games that wasn't perfected until Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

8. Separate button activated Super Sonic transformation.
    Sonic 4> Sonic 2
    *shot*

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    <!--quoteo(post=550938:date=Jan 24 2011, 10:36 PM:name=SonicGenesis89)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SonicGenesis89 @ Jan 24 2011, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=550938">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well Sonic 2 was before Sonic 3 and Knuckles (obviously) and the double jump to activate Super Sonic option was not yet implemented and since Sonic 2 was the first game to feature Super Sonic, he's basically in his early stages. It can be kind of annoying at times, for me its just because the music gets really annoying after a while lol I'd rather hear the stage music.

They could have also done it like that in Sonic 2 so players would activate Super Sonic easily and realize he exists. Because you collect emeralds in Sonic 1 and had no transformation who's to say players who don't read manuals playing Sonic 2 wouldn't realize if they double jumped they can activate a super form after obtaining all the chaos emeralds. That could be me just reading to deeply into it. I really think its just because it was a new feature in the Sonic games that wasn't perfected until Sonic 3 and Knuckles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's certainly one explanation. I think one of the staff behind the game mentioned it was done this way due to the decision to remove Hidden Palace Zone at the last minute. I remember someone noticing the code for Super Sonic was hastily slapped in in one of the several Sonic 2 leaks we got over two years ago.

10. Flip

Flip

<!--quoteo(post=550938:date=Jan 25 2011, 03:36 AM:name=SonicGenesis89)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SonicGenesis89 @ Jan 25 2011, 03:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=550938">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well Sonic 2 was before Sonic 3 and Knuckles (obviously) and the double jump to activate Super Sonic option was not yet implemented and since Sonic 2 was the first game to feature Super Sonic, he's basically in his early stages. It can be kind of annoying at times, for me its just because the music gets really annoying after a while lol I'd rather hear the stage music.

They could have also done it like that in Sonic 2 so players would activate Super Sonic easily and realize he exists. Because you collect emeralds in Sonic 1 and had no transformation who's to say players who don't read manuals playing Sonic 2 wouldn't realize if they double jumped they can activate a super form after obtaining all the chaos emeralds. That could be me just reading to deeply into it. I really think its just because it was a new feature in the Sonic games that wasn't perfected until Sonic 3 and Knuckles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I prob should have metioned I have acheived super (and hyper!) in the other games before I had in sonic 2 and was suprised when it happened, and thought it may have been a problem on the xbox arcade version. But still an awesome game regardless, perhaps there could have been something done about this before release on the 360, but it doesnt matter now as I have already completed the game. it is a problem which should have been thought of before the original release imho, but what can you do.

11. How is Knuckles' transformation done in Sonic 2 and Knuckles? I've only ever done one playthrough and I can't recall if it's still annoying like Sonic 2.

12. Flip

Flip

I believe it is the same as sonic 3 but not 100%

13. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Yes, its a double jump.

14. nineko

nineko

THIS POST CONTAINED WRONG INFORMATIONS AND IT SHOULD BE TRASHED.

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    <!--quoteo(post=550951:date=Jan 24 2011, 08:13 PM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Jan 24 2011, 08:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=550951">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm that said I wonder if it would be possible to get Hyper Knuckles in Sonic 2 with little effort...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And Super-Tails?

:3

16. Hez

Hez

Asshole Oldbie
    Hell
    Your mother
    <!--quoteo(post=550959:date=Jan 25 2011, 01:12 AM:name=JaxTH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JaxTH @ Jan 25 2011, 01:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=550959">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=550951:date=Jan 24 2011, 08:13 PM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Jan 24 2011, 08:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=550951">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm that said I wonder if it would be possible to get Hyper Knuckles in Sonic 2 with little effort...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And Super-Tails?

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Shit...on that note, can you change the character ID's to Sonic 3 sonic and tails?

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    <!--quoteo(post=550938:date=Jan 25 2011, 03:36 AM:name=SonicGenesis89)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SonicGenesis89 @ Jan 25 2011, 03:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=550938">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They could have also done it like that in Sonic 2 so players would activate Super Sonic easily and realize he exists. Because you collect emeralds in Sonic 1 and had no transformation who's to say players who don't read manuals playing Sonic 2 wouldn't realize if they double jumped they can activate a super form after obtaining all the chaos emeralds. That could be me just reading to deeply into it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because the message "NOW SONIC CAN BECOME SUPER SONIC" in big capital letters isn't a big enough clue.

18. nineko

nineko

I just tried to edit some RAM values to trick Sonic 2 & Knuckles to believe I collected all the super emeralds, but I still get regular Super Knuckles instead of Hyper Knuckles. Setting the "locked to Sonic 3" and the "Hyper Sonic" flags as well didn't help, either.

19. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    <!--quoteo(post=551003:date=Jan 25 2011, 05:31 AM:name=DigitalDuck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DigitalDuck @ Jan 25 2011, 05:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=551003">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=550938:date=Jan 25 2011, 03:36 AM:name=SonicGenesis89)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SonicGenesis89 @ Jan 25 2011, 03:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=550938">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They could have also done it like that in Sonic 2 so players would activate Super Sonic easily and realize he exists. Because you collect emeralds in Sonic 1 and had no transformation who's to say players who don't read manuals playing Sonic 2 wouldn't realize if they double jumped they can activate a super form after obtaining all the chaos emeralds. That could be me just reading to deeply into it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because the message "NOW SONIC CAN BECOME SUPER SONIC" in big capital letters isn't a big enough clue.

You have a point, I completely forgot about that.....I'm sorry.

20. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    <!--quoteo(post=550959:date=Jan 25 2011, 12:12 AM:name=JaxTH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JaxTH @ Jan 25 2011, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=550959">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=550951:date=Jan 24 2011, 08:13 PM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Jan 24 2011, 08:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=550951">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hm that said I wonder if it would be possible to get Hyper Knuckles in Sonic 2 with little effort...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And Super-Tails?

Technically, Super Tails is possible in Sonic 2, via teleport box glitch with Super Sonic...

EDIT: Video of what I'm talking about:

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IHSayhOdIk4&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IHSayhOdIk4&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.