Sonic 2: Retouched

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Emerald Spirit, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

Squandered Potential Member
    So I decided to stop being a scared little boy, be a man, and post something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EHZ-only Demo <a href="http://www.filesavr.com/sonic2retouchedehzdemo" target="_blank">here.</a> An infinite EHZ loop because I couldn't make it go back to the title screen.

Anyway, Sonic 2: Retouched is my second practice hack, only it isn't me just bullshitting around. It's got a purpose, to snazz up Sonic 2 just a little bit with small art edits here and there, brand new layouts, and new art for both Hill Top Zone and Death Egg Zone. I also plan to port Tails' flying ability, but I've yet to begin start on that.

Thanks to silent.creature for that dynamic palettes tutorial he did a while back.

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I will admit, that there is some snazzy level design. Keep it up! =D

3. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    I'm looking forward for more releases, the hack and stuff look promising and stuff. Though there is one question; Will the bosses be harder? =P

4. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

Oh totally. Just for now, I'm focusing on layouts. Got things in order, after all.

5. Wasphammer

Wasphammer

Could someone put another mirror up? File Savr hates me.

6. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

<!--quoteo(post=329049:date=Jul 10 2009, 06:38 PM:name=Wasphammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wasphammer @ Jul 10 2009, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329049">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could someone put another mirror up? File Savr hates me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=747bba09763e67e1d2db6fb9a8902bda" target="_blank">Here you go.</a>

7. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    Yeah mate, liking the layout so far. I think there's a tutorial for porting Tails' flying abilty somewhere.

Oh and you got the horizontal spikes working, too.

8. Apart from the few broken chunks, it's looking great :).

9. SR212787

SR212787

Gallifrey, TN
    Sonic 2
    It plays good. I like the level layout, mainly in zone 1. I think for zone 2 you should just darken the background instead of the whole palette.

Can't wait to see more levels.

10. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

Well, I've done a bit of work on this since I first posted this. Not as much as I'd like to say, but...it's something.

[​IMG]
    Got the level select screen taken care of.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice little secret up there. Not too easy to get as Sonic, though. Same with Tails, for now.
    [​IMG]

I'd like a little feedback on the palette. I wasn't too sure what to do with it.

11. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    <!--quoteo(post=368313:date=Oct 31 2009, 08:02 PM:name=Emerald Spirit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Emerald Spirit @ Oct 31 2009, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=368313">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]
    [​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm probably nitpicking here, but, why are these two pics darker than the others?

Other than that, looks good.

12. <!--quoteo(post=368941:date=Nov 2 2009, 08:29 PM:name=Chris Highwind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris Highwind @ Nov 2 2009, 08:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=368941">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=368313:date=Oct 31 2009, 08:02 PM:name=Emerald Spirit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Emerald Spirit @ Oct 31 2009, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=368313">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->images<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm probably nitpicking here, but, why are these two pics darker than the others?

Other than that, looks good.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They're underwater, presumably.

I like the above ground palette, but the underwater palette looks more like the normal palette put through a dark filter rather than water

13. Gizzy

Gizzy

Making small changes to Sonic 1
    Yeah, they do look underwater. (Bubbles on the left of the second picture)

I like the look of EHZ's palette. Is that a night-time section I spy?

14. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Can someone provide another link please? both links just take me to the homepage. Also I'm liking the ARZ palette.

15. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/file/nwiiyelwifg/Sonic%202%20Retouched%20EHZdemo.rar" target="_blank">Try this.</a>

Apparently, that "GUARANTEED 100GB STORAGE FOR LIFE" at Filesavr doesn't apply if they hate you.

And yes, the darker screens are underwater. I should make it a bit more blue, so it's more obvious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.