don't click here

Sonic 2 Prototype References in the Sonic OVA?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shade

Shade

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a case closed.

Clearly, the Sonic 3 Snail resembles the movie version more both in game and out. Though they are apparently mergings of the two different ones, which is a nice find in itself.

Thank you and goodnight.

2. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    I have to admit, first thing I thought was "Sonic 3"...

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, that closes jack shit. Because in case you didn't notice, that drawing hardly resembles the actual Snail in Sonic 3.

...however this DOES raise some interesting questions. Why does this snail from the movie look more like this drawing than the actual in-game one?

Oh and get your head out of your arse plspls. Or at least reword how you do so.

I liked that one better anyway.

Hmm, would you elaborate on what you mean by that?

And before it starts, I know the second one isn't Cyber City. =P

4. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    First thing I thought when I saw it was Sonic 3 as well, but I guess I can kinda see where you're coming from with the whole proto S2 thing.

5. Yzzerdd

Yzzerdd

Pending Member
    Okay heres the deal, when they made the OVA they didn't base stuff like the badniks off sprites, they looked at concept designs like in the ones used in the manuals which were made before someone made the sprite.
    I just made this in photoshop
    [​IMG]
    Look again the sprite of the Snail Blaster
    [​IMG]
    The only difference between this, and the art/Sonic OVA is that its colored differently and its neck isn't stretched out.

6. Yzzerdd

Yzzerdd

Pending Member
    I can't edit the my reply again so here is the Snail with the sprite's colors
    [​IMG]
    And here he is with a shorter head
    [​IMG]
    And here is a comparison
    [​IMG]

7. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I say it looks like the Sonic 3 snail, probably because of the cannons in its back.

If it's of any use, here's the colored version of the manual illustration, from Sonic Jam.

[​IMG]

8. Yzzerdd

Yzzerdd

Pending Member
    I was about to ask if anyone had that.

9. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Sonic 3 Snail
    [​IMG]

Sonic OVA
    [​IMG]

Sonic 2 Concept Snail
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going with Sonic 3 Snail rather than Sonic 2 concept snail, simply because the concept art doesn't feature the guns, and also has a tail underneath.

EDIT: Added all concept art for snail

10. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I'm a fool. After looking at both the OVA design and the manual design, I realised that their designs are exactly the same, sans the coloring. I mean...

[​IMG]

Proof enough for ya?

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I see better with that comparison shot... But why would they change the Snail's colors then? It doesn't make sense to me, especially with the colored shot of the manual posted above.

By the way, anyone have an alternate host for that pic? It's blocked due to damned school filters (and I'm not even sure WHY...)

12. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Maybe they only saw black and white pictures, like the Sonic 3 manual. Or they were retarded in the same way Tails is dark brown in that one Sonic cartoon (it's name escapes me atm).

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    AoSTH, you mean?

I'm sure THAT was more a matter of preference than anything. You don't make a cartoon including Tails but have never seen him in color before, let alone played Sonic 2 before. :P

Neo Chaotikal, could you mirror that somewhere else for me? My school blocked the image for some reason.

14. Yzzerdd

Yzzerdd

Pending Member
    [​IMG]

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Ah, so that just leaves the mystery of why it was recolored in the OVA...

But yeah, it's the Sonic 3 Snail then. Perhaps we should ask Yasuhara what was up with that? (A51 regulars will get me here)

It is kinda cool how the movie had all these references though. IMO, that really added to the "Sonic" feel of the movie.

16. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Maybe the artists for the movie recoloured the snail because it "blends in" better than having more green (Ok, maybe not "blending in" as in camouflage). I think it's more about what's appealing to the eye in this case.

17. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    I like your second screenshot Tweaker.

Some parts looks a bit like the idea I have for this Cyber City zone, and the colors theme is about the same of what I'm thinking (dark turquoise-blue, electric blue, flashing arrows and LED flashlights). I will keep that somewhere on my HD as example. I never saw the Sonic OVA. I shall really find it and watch it. =P

As for the snail, yes, it's Sonic 3 snail.

18. It seems to be, for the most part, the S3 snail enemy with the prototype S2 snail colors. Except for that little blue band at the rim of the shell, but that's because the S2B snail didn't have that, so I guess they just had to fill it in. But wait - wasn't the pallet for the S2B snail basically guessed? So wouldn't that basically just be a really weird coincidence?

And speaking of that S2B snail, call me stupid, but I can't seem to find it on S2B's lost sprites & tiles page.

19. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Yeah they were on ICEKnight's page, which is unfortunatly down at the moment. I've got a mirror of them on here though. Hopefully the site will be back up soon.

20. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.