Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Jun 18, 2020.
I feel like the mouth works better for Amy on the right one.
Not sure what one is new, but the right one
* The secret level has been extended tremendously and is now available to every character. Very special thanx to campbellsonic for coding most of the unique elements.
* Contest is over so character spoilers are no longer needed. It's Big by the way everyone. :P
* Big and Cream Mode added. Very special thanx to JDPense for some VRAM tricks to get this running.
* A couple short cuts added in CPZ and HTZ.
* Fixed character select in level select to not activate with Sound Test highlighted.
* Big and Cream mode still has the odd bug, such as some graphical problems in special stages.
* Cheese will sometimes attack automatically.
As some may have seen a second secret level is planned but it's gonna require more extensive work to complete, so I've decided to just upload what I have otherwise until then. NEXT TIME...
This look better?
One of my favorite S2 mods of all time! I'm loving the updates!
And it's FINALLY time again...
New revision out:
* A new secret level added. Look around the high path of Metropolis Act 1 and search for hints (thanx many people at the Retro discord for testing and helping program assets).
* Amy's sprite set has been redone to look more in style with the game.
* A larger extra route added to Chemical Plant Act 1.
* I've configured Big's body slam to work with a down command like Amy's slam attack, since I thought it was too easy to activate by accident. If people don't like this edit, I'll undo it next time.
* Edited SEGA screen (thanx DeltaWooloo and RandomName).
* Faster bootup (thanx DeltaWooloo)
* Fixed a bug that prevented water rising in Chemical Plant Act 2.
* Fixed a bug that allowed players to enter the initial secret level in 2 Player VS mode (special thanx to a Youtuber who posted this glitch :P).
* Collision might still be wonky in areas of the new level. Art priority also still needs to be adjusted.
* Remaining cases of Cream and Big's attack flags not clearing when landing on certain objects (I swear no matter how many times I do this they keep returning).
* Cream's special stage sprite still glitchy in Big and Cream mode.
* There was a freeze caused by the explosion sprite that I think I've fixed all traces of, but if it reappears please tell me.
Special thanx DeltaWooloo, RandomName, HitaxasTV, campbellsonic, MainMemory, and a hefty number of other people of the Retro discord.
EDIT: The wiki has also been updated.
I've only just realised that Cream's sequence at the end of WFZ has been broken for almost ten revisions. :P
Just to note that the project is going into the contest again this year, and this issue will FINALLY be fixed. Also another little surprise is underway. :D
Since we're uploading all our contest builds here, I thought I may as well do the same:
* Difficulty Option added. Choose from Easy, Normal or Hard modes (Easy saves your ring count with checkpoints and has breezier layouts and bosses, Normal is the classic Sonic 2 run, Hard has tougher layouts and more resilient boss fights).
* Several bugfixes, including Cream's WFZ cutscene, and several objects clearing her flying flag properly.
* Updated title screen as shown above.
* Level select updated to feature the hidden levels (upcoming third secret is blanked out for now).
* New sound effects for certain commands and objects.
Special thanx to SophieDude for helping with the new difficult modes and DeltaWooloo for the new sound effects, and many other people on the Retro discord channel.
Okay another new update and another new secret level....
...look it's no secret anymore, it's friggin' Sand Shower.
* New extra level hidden somewhere at the top of Aquatic Ruin Act 1.
* Extra level also available in VS mode (replaces Mystic Cave currently, will edit the menu to have all six levels in a later revision).
* Wood Zone given an overhaul to fix up some graphical and gameplay bugs.
* New monitors; slow sneakers and the pogo spring, are now found throughout Easy and Hard mode.
Special thanx to:
* Cinossu, Hivebrain and Faceless Fox for helping program the new monitors.
* DA Garden for bug testing and fixing the new level layouts.
* Stealth, Dolphman, Zeta_Null and of course, Brenda Ross, for art reference for the new level.
* Delta Wooloo, djohe, SophieDude, Gemini, Faceless Fox, Markeyjester, and many MANY others for numerous tweaks and bug fixes.
Already found the entrance (hint: it's on the top path).
This also has to be the prettiest interpretation of Sand Shower I've seen.
Sorry for lack of activity (there's a reason it only went into the Expo this year :P).
Just to note, I do have another big update planned, though it will take a while.
Until then I have a little present for anyone who wants it. I'm making my Sand Shower assets open source. You also get a sneak peak of the new animated tiles I've put into them.
The scroll data is still incredibly primitive but it's programmed to work in 2 Player mode if you want an extra level to race in. :P
(Also I'm afraid the ASM data is all in Xenowhirl, though shouldn't be too hard to translate to Github.)
Here is a little edited how-to for github
Forget to said; you also need to mark level art, level title and palette in constants
Is there a spritesheet version available of the Sand Shower Assets? I'm not sure how to extract the assets from the zip provided, and SonLVL just refuses to work on my end, so I can't use that.
Separate names with a comma.