don't click here

Sonic 2 Long Version 1.8!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Sonic Hachelle-Bee, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Sonic 2 Long Version and Sonic 2 & Knuckles Long Version had been updated to version 1.8!

This new version includes a completed Wodd zone and Dust Hill zone with some very nice improvements (like the pallet change)! As you can see...:

General:
    Sonic and Tails version:
    -Added Super Sonic underwater rotating pallet for Genocide City zone and Hidden Palace zone.
    -Fixed Mystic Cave zone pattern load cue for 2 players game, no bugs at level splash screen now.
    Knuckles version:
    -Added Super Knuckles underwater rotating pallet for Genocide City zone and Hidden Palace zone.
    Both versions (requires 2x more work):
    -Added small level icons preview for Wood zone, Dust Hill zone and Genocide City zone under the level select.
    -Added a 4 bytes offset index for sprites placement.
    -Added a double pattern load cue's for each level.
    -Fixed the raster effect for the background of Genocide City zone to scroll a bit faster.

Wood zone (completed):
    Both versions:
    -Added Wood zone act 2 new level layout (level design), rings and sprites placement.
    -Added a new boss art data, looks like another boss than Aquatic Ruin zone one.
    -Fixed the collision data to let Knuckles climb everywhere. There is again some bugs with slopes.
    -Added invisible blocks to avoid bugs when Knuckles is climbing in an odd place.
    -Added a new Buzzer art data to have a new enemy that looks not like Emerald Hill zone one.
    -Fixed some bugs and oddities under Wood zone act 1.
    -Added some 128x128 tiles for the boss under act 2.
    -Added secret rooms for Knuckles only with his climbing and gliding features.

Dust Hill zone (completed):
    Both versions:
    -Added Dust Hill zone act 1 new level layout (level design), rings and sprites placement.
    -Added Dust Hill zone act 2 new level layout (level design), rings and sprites placement.
    -Added a pallet change during the game to pass from Summer to Winter, and from Winter to Summer.
    -Added the act 1 starts at Summer and act 2 starts at Winter feature.
    -Added the rotating pallet change from Summer to Winter and from Winter to Summer.
    -Added several new 128x128 tiles for the Winter part and the boss.
    -Added the Winter art data with iced blocks and iced trees.
    -Updated the Summer art data, you will pass behind some cactus, and walls contains some added bricks.
    -Added a new boss art data, this one looks like a desert level boss, not the one from Emerald Hill zone.
    -Added the level warp feature under act 2.
    -Fixed the raster effect of the background to scroll a bit faster (more faster than Genocide City zone).
    -Added a button object under both acts, with its own special features.
    -Added a new dynamic 128x128 tiles reloading (dynamic level layout changes) while playing the level.

[​IMG]

http://shadowsoft-games.com/s2long

What do you think of this one?
    Try to play Wood zone and Dust Hill zone entirely!
    Thank you for playing!
    I'm now ready to answer your questions about the game or technical stuff you might want to know.

2. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    You did a pretty good job. I like how you have Dust Hill with two palettes at the same time.

3. Miles3298

Miles3298

Very good job with it. The sand piling up thing and all is cool. I'm still wondering why when I hit springs in Dust Hill they turn to broken monitors in some places though. o.o

4. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Very good, but I can't say it's amazing because we all know you can do this :P

And you might want to consider making Dust Hill and Wood easier. Damn bottomless pits and springs. ??

5. Magus

Magus

Fallen Hacker From The Past Tech Member
    Paris, France
    Translating Grandia 2 PC to French
    That's plainly great, as I said on SSRG.

Longue vie ? Sonic 2 Long Version !

6. Kles

Kles

Dust Hill Zone act 1 is plain evil incarnate.

Great job.

EDIT: Whoa! That back and forth sand thing in act 2 is weird! Whoa. This hack is seriously amazing.

7. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    Nice Job. I love the level layouts (Wood Zone especially). What do you plan to do for the next release?

8. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    For my next release, I 'll make Death Egg zone and Genocide City zone.
    I will also try to add some extra art data under Wood zone and Dust Hill zone, like (why not?) animated patterns.
    Hidden Palace zone will come after this next release, I want to gain more experience to do it, to make it the best level of my hack.

And thanks for everybody!

9. Ted

Ted

The Original Forum Gay Member
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Dust Hill is really hard.. (Note my shitty times) IT could possibly a labyrinth. Keep up the good work! =P

Edit: On my Second try I could get 3:18 Max

[​IMG]

10. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Heh, ur DHZ times are faster than mine:

Zone1 - 10:00
    Zone2 - Not reached.

11. Miles3298

Miles3298

[​IMG]
    This is why I end up time-overing in Dust Hill most of the time. <_<

[​IMG]
    Beat that.

12. Kama

Kama

I hate the Snailbots.....

Personally, I think these layouts are better then Esrael's. They require a bit of thinking in some areas. Dust Hill would be better though if didn't have those Snailbots. I constantly found myself with just one ring because of those damn things.

I'm looking forward to the next releases. :D

13. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    I wanted this level to be hard:
    Sandopolis, as a desert level, is hard.
    Also Ice Cap contains bottomless pits.

They are acting a bit like Trycerobots (WZ) or Penguins (Ice Cap).
    I can't see this level without Snailbots.

It's really fine to see you enjoy playing these levels.
    I can do DHZ1 in 2:32 with 316 rings.
    And DHZ2 in 4:41 with 332 rings.
    3:18 is a good time, but you have only 43 rings...
    There is also 3 hidden 1up monitors under WZ and also 3 under DHZ.
    Can you find and get them all?

14. Did anyone else notice this yet?

15. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

I assumed that was to help it look more like the actual Beta version. (sorry, dunno how to do that fancy-pants Beta-b!) Could be wrong though, maybe it was some weird unfixable issue..?

16. Kampfer

Kampfer

SHB, great hack, my sugestions...

Buzzbombers in Wood Zone look terrible.

I like the boss idea for Wood (totem pole>you), but the Hammer on the Egg-O-Matic looks terrible.

I don't like the monotony of the pallette in the ice part of DHZ. It's too much of the same, the backround needs contrast.

For good news, you have exelent level layouts. Some of the best I've seen in a hack.

I really like the idea behind the DHZ boss.

The idea of the sand dunes were superb.

Overall exelent. for future levels, I would sugest differnt badmiks for DEZ and GCZ from the CPZ ones, since they are easy badniks to defeat. For GCZ, I'd recomend the the Light bugs from MCZ, and the Fish from ARZ, and keep the spiders from CPZ. For DEZ, I'd go with the Mantis from MTZ, the jet badnik from SCZ (space fighters persay), and the octpus Badnik from CPZ.

That's all from me.

EDIT: One more thing, switch the sound tracks for Dust Hill and Genocide City. It'll sound better

17. I don't have your newest version yet (can't get access to the internet on my laptop at home and the hack on our home computer is no use to me) but judging from what everybody has said, it looks brilliant. The only real complaint through is the snail bots! I just don't think they suit Dust Hill. Only wood zone. As I said, I havn't played it yet but are there still Trycerobots in wood zone? I know that there isn't enough pallette data for them to fit into Hidden Palace, but couldn't you just change the pallettes for the other enemies in Hidden Palace to use Sonic's pallette, like the badniks did in Sonic 1? Besides, Trycerobots act exactly like snail bots, and it doesn't make any sense to have them both in the same level. Sorry if you already have changed the Trycerobots, and I look forward to playing your hack!

18. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Yes, I know this under WZ. This happens under GCZ slopes also.
    I think it's only a bad slope value. I can fix it, but the problem is there is no bad values at all...
    That looks like one 128x128 tile under GCZ. I made it to be a floor, but actually you went through it.

Looking at the Kosinski compressed form, I made my own conclusion:
    Sometimes, when there is a lot of 00's and then a floor, the decompression algorithm under the game make a mistake while reading it. The floor after all 00's is considered as non solid.

Example:
    You have this line under a 128x128 tile:
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 25

00 00 is an empty 16x16 tile.
    10 25 is a solid floor, 16x16 tile #025.

That's like the upper line of the slopes. Your 16x16 tile 10 25 in the Kosinski format is compressed fine, but strangely the game will read it as 00 25, causing the bug you have noticed...

A possible issue to that is the following:
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 26 00 26 10 25

...where 00 26 is an empty 16x16 tile like 00 00, to break the bug caused by the decompression algorithm. I have to try this.

19. Kama

Kama

Why not replace the Buzzbombers in Wood Zone with Coconuts (The monkey robot). I'm surprised that no one has ever done that before. It seems like a perfect match to me.

20. I've played it. It's great. But where oh where is the quicksand in Dust Hill? Also, swap snails for buzzbombers, we at least know they might of been meant for the level. But I like how you've changed the bosses too. I just thought, wood zone should have more scenery. You could use a couple of mini totem poles like the one used in the boss fight. And the hammer should look more wooden. And you could keep the buzzbombers, just change the actual sprite instead of the pallate, like make it like a fat round bee, or put in some catakillers. (I just noticed, they're not in the game at all!) I like the level select icons, espically Dust Hill's.
    Sorry if I put in too much! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.