don't click here

Sonic 2 LD

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by doc eggfan, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    It's one of the few zones that abuse crossing paths, actually. Aquatic Ruin has a path intersecting a loop... and that's it. And none of the other zones have crossing paths.

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Mega-Muck.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Mega Mack.

4. Hence the "whatever". I can't be bothered to get that right, sounds stupid anyway.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think Mega Muck was the term used in SatAm and Archie (and it was actual 'muck' that held Sonic onto the ground, not the purple goo).

A screenie of near the end of Act Two with the narrow path of vertical blocks and the ascending 'mack' might work.

6. I tend to disregard anything that isn't in the games themselves. I don't even look at the manuals, because that's all just a bunch of excuses (usually made by people who didn't even have anything to do with the designing of the games) for the fans who need a reason for everything.

That section is indeed very iconic, at least for me.

7. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    [​IMG]

It's real bodgy quality, but is this better? I kind of prefer the first one myself.

Even though this is an iconic moment, I feel the theme of the level is more about running full pelt along the twisty turny interconnecting pipes.

Besides, there's no way we can replicate a rising water level with the 8-bit engine. Even with Glitch's magnificent disassembly, I still can't imagine how it would be possible.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I was going to suggest a shot of Sonic while he's in one of the transport tubes.

9. Yeah, the water management in this game looks really poor. Since the water is drawn with background tiles instead of dynamic palette changes (which sucks, because even Sonic 1 had the latter), I agree with you that the water effects are most likely out. You'll probably have to do something like in Sonic Pocket Adventure, and have just a bit of water at the very bottom of the level.

10. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I think the first one's better, too. After all, in the original S2GG, Green Hills' picture is just a loop, so they don't have to be gimmicks, they can be terrain.

I think the crossing paths are very indicative of Chemical Plant, and when I first saw that you chose that for the picture I thought it was spot on perfect.

Mega "Mack" is a mistranslation. Go to a Japanese MP3 site and Google translate it. Everywhere there's the word "Track" it'll say "Track/Truck" because the Japanese short "a" can mean both. Hence why Pacman (named after the Japanese "pakupaku" for flapping mouth) was originally going to be "Puckman".

I'll leave you alone forever now. + - [/scott pilgrim]  

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
  12. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
  13. emrabt

emrabt

I honestly didn't know this either, and I've completed both versions more than once.
    Anyone want to explain how this was done with only two layers, are the top parts (the waves) sprites with everything under it "scan line" palette switched? Or is it all animated background tiles that look like they rise?

14. Looks like the usual change-the-palette-in-the-middle-of-the-frame technique that is used in the other games (Genesis/MD and SMS/GG) to me. There's even a glitch when Sonic goes through the floor and the water is supposed to be all the way up but the screen shows everything green again for an instant.

I never knew the GG version had this. I wonder why they used the crappy effect with high priority dithered tiles if they could use what the Genesis/MD games use. On the other hand, Sonic 1 SMS also combined both types of water... GHZ has the dithered tiles and LZ had the palette change. They probably wanted to have water pools at different heights. But it's still a mystery why Sonic 2 on the GG has the rising water while the SMS version doesn't.

15. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Not to deviate even further, but may I ask, a mistranslation of what? Tell me where we have seen any mention of Mega Whateverâ„¢ other than the western manuals? What does the purple water in this level have that's different from the purple water in Scrap Brain Zone? Until I get real evidence that "Mega Mack" wasn't just something the manual writer decided to throw in for whatever reason, then to me the whole thing is just Mega Bullshit. + - am I clever yet  

16. Jan Abaza

Jan Abaza

Oldbie
    It's a long shot, but maybe since the Game Gear version's screen is smaller, there's less stuff on it at a time and therefore more visual ram space to work with and not experience slowdown. Also, the GG version is pointlessly missing the speed shoes, maybe they took them out to make even more room for the rising water effect?

17. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I just tried playing the stage in Kega Fusion's "FullSMS" mode, which lets you see the whole virtual screen, beyond the Game Gear's standard borders, and there's no graphical glitching whatsoever, so that might not be the reason. I did notice something, though: while the water is rising, the rotating palette effect used for the water fountains doesn't work properly, which I guess could be a reason for removing it?

I think you're onto something with the speed shoe item, though. Isn't that the one single time it appears in the game? It's pointless, and removing it would make room in VRAM for the water surface sprites.

18. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I assumed the notes on Chemical Plant in the Japanese manual, but when I checked it doesn't mention ????? anywhere. (When you Google it, all you get is hamburgers!)

SatAM mentions Mega Muck at least once (and I'm pretty sure more than once), so I've always thought of it as "more correct". The fact that it's in the cartoon and in the manual (misspelt in such a way as to suggest Japanese translation) leads me to believe it must come from somewhere and isn't completely random, but I admit the evidence is scant.

No one has any Japanese Sonic 2 players guides, do they? :v:

19. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    [​IMG]

It's a start. If any pixel monkeys want to have a play, I've also got a spare colour in the palette.

[​IMG]

20. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    That's awesome. Go with that title card. The zig zagging path there plays a big part in the level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.