Sonic 2 LD

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by doc eggfan, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Oh yes, that was most excellent.

Is it bad that I much preferred everything that happened after Act 2 ended? Including the boss.

2. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Can't jump off this invincible monitor for some reason.
    [​IMG]

3. emrabt

emrabt

<!--quoteo(post=533370:date=Nov 25 2010, 12:49 PM:name=Neo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neo @ Nov 25 2010, 12:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=533370">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh yes, that was most excellent.

Is it bad that I much preferred everything that happened after Act 2 ended? Including the boss.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you've been snooping around too?

Infringe on one companies copyrights you might as well do it to two.

4. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    This is awesome! Fantastic! You can't believe how much I regret to have ignored this topic so much. I'm also excusing for that stupid quote ("I won't play it because I didn't play the original.") because I thought this is just an everyday hack.

However, not everything is perfect. There are two things that bugged the hell outa me:
    - The rings have a really slim hit-box, meaning it's damn hard to collect them, at least for me.
    - Why the hell can't Choppers be destroyed but instead hurt you whatever you do?

Besides that only one little thing:
    <!--quoteo(post=533371:date=Nov 25 2010, 01:57 PM:name=Uberham)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uberham @ Nov 25 2010, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=533371">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->HUD is behind that loop thingy (this also applies to the normal loops, which by the way aren't working? o_O)

But otherwise, this hack is just brilliant. =)

5. emrabt

emrabt

<!--quoteo(post=533379:date=Nov 25 2010, 01:49 PM:name=Selbi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Selbi @ Nov 25 2010, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=533379">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm also excusing for that stupid quote ("I won't play it because I didn't play the original.") because I thought this is just an everyday hack. (lets call this ignorance.)

- Why the hell can't Choppers be destroyed but instead hurt you whatever you do?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The code is reused from fireballs, when the full hack comes out they will be fixed, in fact Glitch has all the EHZ badniks ready.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Besides that only one little thing:
    HUD is behind that loop thingy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This happens whenever a tile is given "high priority", it draws in front of sonic but also the HUD + other sprites. Nothing can be done about it, loads of 8 bit games have this problem because there is only a sprite layer and tile layer.

6. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=533363:date=:name=emrabt' date 'Nov 25 2010, 09:17 AM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (emrabt' date 'Nov 25 2010, 09:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=533363">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and where you've hidden the emerald.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Did I miss something? I didn't find the emerald. I thought he had removed it. Where is it?

7. emrabt

emrabt

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did I miss something?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah my guess is you've missed something BIG and it starts at the end.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't find the emerald. I thought he had removed it. Where is it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>First stage under the waterfall, remember, walls are breakable.</span>

8. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Well, fighting the 8 -bit boss of Sonic 2 was a bit of a dissapointment. Especially with no rings. Otherwise a great hack.

9. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy. Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Hacking Sonic Drift, Writer at Sonic Cage Dome
    Awesome hack Doc Eggfan, but I lost rings when I hit some spikes while getting the invincibility stars. And I'm sure you're aware of the various VRAM issues on the end tally cards (Total gets cut off as well as the bottom half of the numbers in the Score.) But keep up the great work! :)

10. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Holy crap at world 1-1 in the demos. O_O

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yeah, I raged whenever I couldn't complete the demo. That Underground Zone boss is the reason I never wanted to even try completing Sonic 2 GG/SMS. :argh:

It's really fun though. Although the physics sorta leave me dead in my tracks if I roll on any slightly upward slope, every object besides springs seem to have very little collision, and Chompers are indestructable which result in "contact = death". And even though I most likely missed something like the ignorant I am, I thought there was a Spin dash in this hack?

12. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Simply brilliant. Physics were a bit off but obviously that's to be expected, other than that it was amazing (aside from small things like the Mashers that everyone else has already mentioned).

Also LMAO at World 1-1 plus ending. Please include that as a secret world or something in the final version =P

13. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=533387:date=Nov 25 2010, 01:01 PM:name=emrabt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (emrabt @ Nov 25 2010, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=533387">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did I miss something?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah my guess is you've missed something BIG and it starts at the end.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I was aware of the BIG thing for a long time now. Since I was the one begging Doceggfan to finish it. And it's awesome! I guess people missed the April 1st Sonic 2 LD special.

I was reffering to the emerald location, really.

But now that you said the emerald location, I fell spoilered, because I never... oh my god!

14. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    (spoiler warning)
    <a href="http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8147/sonic2ldepisode01ehz000.png" target="_blank">You Win</a>

15. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Downloading Kega to try this out now, but <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?5jyo87p65khktmn" target="_blank">here's another mirror.</a>

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Downloaded Kega Fusion just to play it (probably just as well since now I can play other 8 bit titles and even some 16/32 bit ones in better quality). This is off to a pretty good start, the level design is rather authentic for the most part. Most critisms have been noted already (eg. invincible Chompers, inactive loops). Oh and get a good MIDI converter to 8 bit the original soundtrack.

Wow no end to extra mini levels. :D

17. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    LOLsnoopingasusualisee

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

shaving is boring Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    hey wiki you're so fine
    I love this, but I'd be lying if I said the level design was perfect. It seriously needs some of Sonic Chaos'/Sonic Triple Trouble's additions back-ported and some quarter-pipes.

Looks fantastic though.

19. <!--quoteo(post=533433:date=Nov 25 2010, 12:54 PM:name=Jaseman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaseman @ Nov 25 2010, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=533433">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOLsnoopingasusualisee<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I LOLed SO HARD at this. I found that secret area and was like WTFBBQ, and the ending is perfect. XD

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I'm glad the easter eggs were found, I wasn't sure whether anyone would notice.

I've also carried on the 8-bit tradition of one life per level, but none of them are that hard to find.

I was close to getting destructable mashers into the game, I just couldn't quite work out the code.

Also, does anyone recognise the bgm to act 4? That's not a custom edit, it's hidden in the game. I don't recognise it.

<!--quoteo(post=533363:date=Nov 25 2010, 10:17 PM:name=emrabt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (emrabt @ Nov 25 2010, 10:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=533363">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's some small things I noticed, Some frames of the ring animation have an orange centre, invincibility stars sometimes don't work when running into enemies causing you to lose your rings regardless and to be really picky:

EDIT: shoes give you stars and speed but no invincibility, invincibility stars don't give you stars. the shoes are broken, they cycle between pictures of rings and shoes, they give stars.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The invincibility stars and speed shoes behave as they're supposed to, but a lot of the time the sprite limit is reached and problems occur. The cycling between rings and shoes happens because 2 different monitors are on screen at one time, and they both use the same vram for the icon. I hadn't noticed the ring thing though, I should be able to fix that.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[​IMG]
    the skyline here would be better stretching right along, the two, this and the one on the level below are far enough apart for them not to be on the screen at the same time, it will look better in my opinion than it noticeably stopping here. But this is just purely cosmetic and will not benefit the game play at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good suggestion.

<!--quoteo(post=533391:date=Nov 26 2010, 02:24 AM:name=Ravenfreak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ravenfreak @ Nov 26 2010, 02:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=533391">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome hack Doc Eggfan, but I lost rings when I hit some spikes while getting the invincibility stars. And I'm sure you're aware of the various VRAM issues on the end tally cards (Total gets cut off as well as the bottom half of the numbers in the Score.) But keep up the great work! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, another sprite limit problem.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love this, but I'd be lying if I said the level design was perfect. It seriously needs some of Sonic Chaos'/Sonic Triple Trouble's additions back-ported and some quarter-pipes.

Looks fantastic though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'll have more freedom with CPZ. Without the corkscrew, quarter circle ramps and loops are easily implemented. And of course Glitch probably has more sophiticated solutions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.