don't click here

Sonic 2 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Canned Karma, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falk

Falk

I see what you did there.

2. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I just recently got into the "OMG LOST IS EVIL BLABLA" controversy, meaning I didn't actually read all 34 pages and neither do I plan to do so.

But I do have a question (which may or may not already exists in this thread, so pardon if it does): What is going to happen with LOst now? Will he be replaced? And what do the other members of the S2HD team say about this thing?

Yes, I read Guess Who's blog entry, but that thing didn't clear me up enough.

3. Sonic 2 HD's true identity revealed.
    [​IMG]

.. *cough*

But to actually contribute something to the convo, I guess I shall ask this; Is there anyone immediately around who actually is willing to replace L0st and be able to perform something similar to the current alpha in a quick timeframe?

4. zemulii

zemulii

Oh my... Just got back from holiday. I was expecting more delays to be honest. Why this couldn't have been cleared up MONTHS ago is beyond me. What a sorry state of affairs... Oh well, at least everyone knows where they stand now and what's actually going on. I just can't believe I had to wait around all this time with promise of change once the alpha was out to find the project was just running off and becoming fully closed anyway. Why did I have to WAIT for that?? What a let down...

Anyway it's clear that the majority of the team is incredibly talented and I hope they manage to clear up the "problem" and get things on the right track again. Good luck!

Front page post was brilliantly written. Thanks for that too.

5. ManicRemix

ManicRemix

Fact: You're reading this Member
    Hello, I am ManicRemix. I come from a strange and faraway land called Super Mario Galaxy 2.5.

I couldn't help but notice what has been going on here. I must admit, it is quite a dilemma indeed.

First Off, the Whole Situation with Lost is nobody's business. Lost is a person. We all have personal lives. Whatever happened, is between Lost and the rest of the Team. Nobody else... Not your business.

Second... Thank-you, guy who Posted the Lost game. I've been reading Page After Page of Drama over the Lost. The Title for this thread, I believe reads Sonic 2 HD in a language called English, my dear friends. If it were called Lost, then we'd talk about Lost. But it says Sonic 2 HD... So we'll talk about Sonic 2 HD.

Thirdly, I can understand your curiosity to find out what exactly has happened with Lost. By the time we've reached 34 Pages, I'd bet that your not going to be told.

"can u tel meh nao?11!?1

"No"

"plz11!!!!11"

"No"

"plz!!!111! I've gives you duh muhneee!"

"Um... No"

---

Now, on a side note. As stated before, my name is ManicRemix. I come from a Project Called Super Mario Galaxy 2.5, an attempt to make an extension to Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Well, at Super Mario Galaxy 2.5, my job is supposed to be Programming. I am a reverse engineerer. I hack Mario Kart Wii & Super Mario Galaxy 2 respectively.

In my Mario Kart Wii Hacking Life, things were tough. Being mistreated, people looking down on me... Junk like that, nothing you'd ever really want.

So, I set out on a mission. I wanted to show everybody I was smart, I could do what they could do, I could do more. I found a Book, a very magical Book. Called C++ For Dummies... At WalMart.

I read, I learned, I realized... I soon learned that this new skill was the Key, My Key, to the future. Fame, Fun... ECT.

Before I bore you all to to tears with my Long Back Story, I'll skip to the good part:

I made a program. I saw the words "Hello World" print across my screen. At that moment I knew what I wanted to do, what I wantrd to profess in, what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

I had first heard of Sonic 2 HD in 2009 or so. I tried making HD Art... It looked like a Blue Turtle Wearing Sunglasses. I had since then lost all interest in Sonic in favor of Mario & Mario Kart Wii.

Then one day, I see a post on the Main Page. "My Advice: I'd suggest that they'd get a new programmer". I had the most crazy thought: "Could that me be?" I shook my head. I knew enough about C++ to create maybe an editor, but never an engine.

Until, just Yesterday, Sonic 2 HD Popped back into my Mind. I thought of all the Hard Work out into this over the past four years, the inspiration caused by just one image, that caused such a project to erupt, and bloom into something absolutely stunning & beautiful.

I went out, seeking a way to extend my Knowledge in Programming, an Advanced C++ Course which I am currently taking now.

I knew I had made the right choice. Although I couldn't see myself creating something equally as wonderful as Lost had created.

Still, here I come, asking if I may be considered into this project. The lessons are geared towards Game Development, and is for people who already understand the basics of C++, or similar languages like C# or Python.

In 2 Months my lessons will be over, and I should have all of the Knowledge one will need to program a game.

I am unsure if the position for Programmer is still needed to be filled by someone, but I am willing to atleast try to see if I can do it. I think I may be able to make a difference here, and help complete such a wonderful project. My knowledge of C++ So far may be well enough for me start any day now, but I'd like to finish the lessons I have first. If you are in need of a programmer, I am here.

I know that this is quite an enormous claim, especially coming from a Trial Member. But it's worth a shot, right? I might be able to do this, and I may not. Atleast I can attempt to help as much as I can.

6. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    The state of the released build, the comments made by other team members in a public place, and how it relates to the lead (and only) programmer's work ethic and personality seem kind of relevant in a discussion about the project, to me

Good job, there

The project lead said a few posts back that plans have been made and an announcement will come later this week. You'll probably need to substitute a bit of attention to detail for all the big talk if you really want to get anywhere with a project like this

7. Manic, I'm gonna level with you for a second. I'm not a member of the Sonic 2 HD Staff, nor am I an actual veteran here, but I still feel the need to talk straight with you for a moment.

If LOst really does end up being kicked out of the project, and they do end up looking for a new guy to program the engine, you'll probably be facing a LOT of stiff competition, from quite a few veteran programmers here.

Plus, there's a lot of stuff that needs to be taken into account, like, say, the Sonic Physics Guide....

At the very least, you DO acknowledge that you're making a pretty enormous claim, and that's something I can respect. And you've stated that you have some experience in reverse engineering, so you bring a little prior experience to the table.

So, if you've got the passion to do it, and you're willing to put in a bit more effort.... You may very well be considered!

Don't be too disappointed if it turns out they turn you away, though. Sonic 2 HD isn't the only thing that people are working on right now. If this particular venture doesn't work out, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to kick ass on another project!

Welcome to Sonic Retro, hope you enjoy it!

~~~~

EDIT: And yeah, like Stealth said, looking at all the posts and information is pretty vital for stuff like this. If you're really serious about this, I'd recommend reading through the full thread whenever you have the time.

And also, don't be too aggressive in chasing this right now, because things still seem to be undecided at this point, and you'll most likely end up stepping on a few toes if you push too much.

8. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    You must be lost. This is a Sonic fansite.

Yes, it sure is, considering we've been discussing it for thousands of posts between the number of Sonic 2 HD threads.

"First off", your capitalisation is inconsistent. Secondly, we're all persons. Thirdly, as this was started as a community project, we kinda were the team up until now. Fourthly, we're fairly sure this is hardly a personal problem, unless LOst has such an involving life that he can only spare time to add DRM into the game and nothing else (see: asking him for an important feature and coming back six months later to see all he's added is DRM and useless shaders). Fifthly, the team came out and said "this is all LOst's fault". While we can hardly do anything more than sit around and suggest alternatives to the. uh, "LOst problem", we certainly don't have any reason not to discuss it. Sixthly, judging from what people say of LOst's history, he's been trying to make the community "his business" (ha ha) for a while now, engaging in shady practises like selling an art editor and in general acting like a stuck-up prick.
    Who do you think you are, some kind of impartial mediator, granted the ability to tell us what to do and think thanks to your complete and utter un-knowingness of the topic at hand?
    Don't call me friend, buddy. We've been talking about a game called Sonic 2 HD for some time now, and let me tell ya' - there's not really much to say. It's been over thirty pages. We've gone over lots of things. Right now, the most pressing matter is that of LOst, who is - need I remind you - the lead (and likely only) programmer on Sonic 2 HD. He programmed it. LOst, programmed the NakaSMK engine, which Sonic 2 HD is made with. Him. LOst. Don't say he's not relevant. I don't see "Emerald Hill Zone" in the topic, either, but I can bloody well see people discussing that, no?

"your"
    Actually, I think there's a fair chance the team will tell us about him in due time - probably not by the 34th page, because chances are sometime soon we'll deplete this page's resources.

No offence, but is this always how you conduct internal conversations with yourself?
    Remember, we're kinda in a position to be offering help and asking about things. Also, anyone who talks like that would never make it through Approval. Just sayin'.

Hello, ManicRemix!
    Hi! Welcome to Sonic Retro, a community famous for its large number of reverse engineers!

Hang on, let me get the mood music.

Okay, product placement (Buying books at "WalMart"?) aside, do you really need to tell us your whole internet life story? I mean, I know what's coming up next is more your past few internet weeks, but either way, you could've just jumped to the chase.

Stand on sidewalks advertising programming how-to books? Okay, now, really.

So, you're offering to be a programmer? Because, you know, you could've said that in a few sentences.

Hold the phone. Hoooooold the phone.
    What LOst created is not "wonderful". Yes, it's a 2D game engine with Sonic-like physics and support for pretty graphics, but behind the thin coat of paint and iron plating you'll find a bunch of broken gears and a nuclear reactor. While it would be a bit too far off to say the engine was hacked together, the performance issues, ridiculous requirements, the evidence of bloated code, the convoluted means of doing the simplest of things, the strange and worrying features, the seeming lack of consideration for anyone who cared about this not as "LOst's big showcase engine" but as "Sonic 2 HD", and to top it all off the sheer lack of communication or apology from the man himself make it seems to me that Sonic 2 HD's engine is little more than a load of bullshit, secrets, and lies. It is not "wonderful". It is not even "wunderbar". It barely scrapes the side of "good".

Now, look here. You're learning C++. You've stated that you don't know everything there is to know. That's okay. But the issue here is not so much that they need a new engine, but that they need a reliable programmer who can make a rockin' good engine. Now, you may turn out to be an excellent programmer - make no doubt of that. But right now, you kinda ought to have a few things before you volunteer for this. Knowledge. Experience. And the determination to go through with it. It's not enough to say "I think I can" - after all, there are other programmers here. You have to make an engine - an engine BETTER than the one LOst made, because that's real important - and have both a commitment to doing what's right and a commitment to doing what the team asks of you, AND have the free time, the patience, the resourcefulness, the drive, the willingness to come up with creative solutions to strange problems and logical solutions to everything else, and the mind to use it. But if you can pull it off, feel free to step up. Until then, stay calm, relax, and consider that they might already have a replacement programmer. So, uh, if you want to get onto those things I listed regardless, you'd better act fast.

tl;dr they need a real programmer and don't write long-winded paragraph-ical posts

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    As in, LOst in disguise? :O

10. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    A mod should cross reference the IP addresses between posts made by LOst and posts made by ManicRemix. It's probably a bit far fetched - but I wouldn't be surprised if both accounts belong to the same user. Having moderated and administrated on more than a handful of forums, I've seen this happen countless times.

EDIT: I should note that I have no problem with ManicRemix, LOst, or anyone. I'm just being honest about a thought that crossed my mind. It's likely that I'm completely wrong, but like I said I've seen the situation occur countless times with other members of other forums.

11. Wouldn't be a S2HD thread without DRAMA. Anywhom glad that the truth finally came to the light of day about Sonic 2 HD and I can't wait for a new programmer to step up or for Sax/Tax/Snorlax man's engine to be used.

12. ManicRemix

ManicRemix

I'm not Lost. You can have a moderator track whatever they'd need to.

Well it wouldn't have been awesome without a boring Back Story! Right? Plus, I didn't want to jump in and say "Manic Remix! Make me programmer! Bye!" Anyways, I'm not too confident I'd get any role within this project.

There are 1000s of Better programmers who Know what to do, and they are already taught exactly everything they'd need to do. There are also other Engines. According to the Wiki Page, the use of the Retro engine was first in Favor. However, during that time it was unfinished.

Well it seems good enough. Sega even thinks so.

I just wanted to see if I could help. You know, just genuinely nice. It would be sad for the Sprite Makers & Music composer's work to all Waste away.

About it being beautiful and amazing... Well, aside from the crazy security system, it is. It plays well (As far as physics), it looks nice.

Truly, I saw the situation and I wanted to help. In all honesty, I wasn't too sure about it. The moment I posted that I had thought "OH MY GOSH Did I just commit to create a Game Engine?!".

The best thing to do, would probably be to use an already existing engine, or someone who has already learned what I'm currently learning now.

Like said above, I tired to step up, but it wasn't responded to too well.

And if I don't make it here, I can still try my own Engine. Good Luck, and I really hope everything goes well!

13. zemulii

zemulii

Wow... some of you guys sure are defensive. He didn't start off too well sure (with the whole talking down to us thing), but Manic obviously wasn't setting out to offend anyone. No need to respond like that... a typical warm welcome to our fine community hmm? It's like you're trying to be offended...

14. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Hey, we're just looking out for you. It's quite easy to take a wrong turn on the, uh, "internet superhighway". You might've been looking for, I dunno, Sonic Metro.

Wrong.

Let it be duly noted that you did, indeed, have good intentions, and were not in fact trying to turn the community into an evil robot factory.

No comment.

Yes, that would be the logical thing to do. Your heroic rushing-out-to-deal-with-the-situation-without-knowing-the-facts shall also be duly noted.

If you were too tired... oh, wait. Hey, that wasn't a bad response at all! Nobody even called you a mean name! Think on the bright side!

You probably won't "make it here", but you should try to make your own game engineeither way. Only good can come of it! And, well, sleepless nights and hair-pulling frustration. But, well, only good!

15. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    Hey - I'm one of the guys defending the project as-is. No harm intended. Like I said I have nothing against the parties in question - the thought wouldn't have even crossed my mind had two other people before me not implied it first. In any case - it would be awesome if another person such as Manic could be an asset to the project. I'm excited for anything that can push it along :)

16. ManicRemix

ManicRemix

Oops... Tried, not Tired. :p

The thing about the awesome backstory was a joke. I just couldn't imagine a Random Person coming in and asking to be a programmer Flat out. I'm not adapted to this community too well.

By make it, I was implying my current post count. It's possible, but operating with such a small amount is straining. I understand it is to help keep the community Clean of Bad/Trollish users.

I really wasn't trying to randomly insert myself into this project either. I wouldn't know exactly who to contact, and how it would look coming from a trial member. I saw no other way to approach this Subject, then to come here, publicly. Perhaps the story was long, however I just don't see any other way I could have explained.

I still think the wisest idea would be to use an existing engine. I'd like to help, but I assure you'd have to wait for everything to register (From what I'm learning), and then there is the task of creating the Engine itself.

Converting the Assembly code to another Language shouldn't be too hard, but there is then the task of making it read new files, display, reaction, ECT.

From my own point of view, it looks like the Enginge it's self would be original to Sonic The Hedgehog 2.

Like in Sonic Generations, for example. There is a Graphics Engine, Also known as The Hedgehog Engine. Then there is a Physics Engine, called The Havoc Engine.

They are both separate, of course. If one wanted to, they could create a game based off of Sonic 1's Physics Engine, but use an advanced Graphics Engine, for 3D.

Talk of a modification of Taxman's Retro Engine to display HD Graphics have been talked about. The same should be able with any 2D Sonic Game. However, a Genesis cannot handle this because it can only display certain resolutions, and the Ram Disk would probably implode.

We'd need something more powerful, like a Computer. It would have been very Much possible to base Sonic 4 off of Sonic 2's Engine. Display and Reaction are completely separate. One handles what happens. Does Sonic touch Object 4? Is Object 4 bad? Did object 4 hurt Sonic? Object 4 is bad. Release Rings or Activate Death.

The Graphics are only a visual representation of what is going on, and the The Graphics Engine can be highly advanced, while the Physics Engine is poor.

I've presented this Idea for other Games, like Giving Mario Kart Wii Super Mario Galaxy's Graphics engine.

I'm not saying this should be easy, but it shouldn't be too hard either. Especially if it's compiled into a Program on a computer, which can handle both Sonic 2's Engine & Hi-Res Graphics.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Sorry, I don't get your point.

18. winterhell

winterhell

@ManicRemix, if it was that easy, people would have already done it.
    And the best way to apply for any type of work is to present something you have done in the past on the topic. If you don't have anything to show you probably are not experienced enough.

19. Deef

Deef

So anyway, is there a nice clean way to disable debug mode short of creating a separate install?

20. winterhell

winterhell

That may depend on whether the debug save is stored in the registry or in a file in the game directory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.