don't click here

Sonic 2 HD General

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lanzer, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

Isn't the jitteriness of the animation due solely to fitting a large, 2.5-second-long animation into a reasonable file size?
    Either way, the head might be a little... small? It's a little weird to have the main spherical shape at the back of his head smaller than his neck segments.It's still a particularly impressive image despite this, however.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Pretty much what I thought about the animation too.

The head is small, the perspective is off, the projectile comes out of the wrong place, the projectile and neck are layered incorrectly... It's nice looking, but there's plenty of room for improvement. I wish now they'd stop drip feeding teeny updates of individual assets and would instead show us the actual game. Not only is it getting boring, but it's much easier to criticise and find fault with things out of context than it is when you see the full picture. That's exactly why the community approach for this project initially crashed and burned - it was all the little things on their own that were being worked on and critiqued rather than the full picture.

3. winterhell

winterhell

To make individual assets takes weeks, the actual game takes years. Showcasing the assets does not take away from the project's resources, so the end product is being worked at the full speed.
    If there aren't any updates for 3 years people start spamming a lot. If you don't want to be spoiled and want to wait 3 years, then a wild suggestion you can unsubscribe from the facebook and twitter pages?

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Sorry, what?

I wasn't implying that showcasing the individual assets is taking away from project resources, nor did I say anything about being spoiled. The supposed 3-year time scale you're talking about isn't a problem either. But you know how it's generally considered to be bad form when creators (usually newbies) show 'progress' updates every five minutes when they do something?

"Look I changed a palette"
    "Here's an early WIP of a new sprite I started 10 minutes ago"
    "Look I changed the palette again!"

That's kind of what this project is currently feeling like. Not nearly to the same calibre because there's months between one update to the next, but they all amount to small individual pieces and it's not really giving a great overview of the project because everything is disjointed. Rather than show off a single piece of remastered art, maybe instead it would be better to do a blowout of relevant information every so often. So instead of just detailing Rexxon, several parts of Hill Top as a whole could be shown off over the course of a few days. Or there could be a showcase of a few badniks at once. If there's not much that's ready to be shown, then there's no real need to do so. This would let us really see how everything is coming together and how the team is approaching the HD remaster. One of the biggest parts of S2HD and indeed any remaster or remake is bringing all of the assets up to the same quality with a sense of coherency. That's exactly what we're completely unable to see with this current approach.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    With all the extra fluff that goes around these showcases, I bet it does.

It was cute in the beginning but one can't help but wonder that there isn't much of a "game" here.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Perhaps their logic is that we already know what the game is since it's just Sonic 2. But agreed, these in depth showcases for sprites are kind of just time wasters. It would be better to show some screenshots to give a better idea of what we should expect from this project.

7. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Exactly, perhaps a video would be nice to see also.

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    It hurts a bit to say, but I've just sort of assumed there simply isn't anything to show at this point. After all these years, we've still only seen Emerald Hill, Hill Top (which reuses some assets from the former), and some of Chemical Plant.

9. Retroman

Retroman

I guess due to real-life pressures, it delays work progress. That applies to any mod team though.

I wonder if they use redmine or github because that would speed things up.

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    You'd either be seeing these smaller updates or no updates at all. Progress is unaffected either way.

Like them or not, they're not worth complaining about.

11. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Basically this.

Personally I enjoy seeing how the assets are updated, S2HD or Not. I think people are just frustrated by a lack of transparency. Obviously the S2HD Team has no obligation to provide updates to anyone, or even exist for that matter, so nothing to complain about there... However, I think fatigue is reasonable considering the project has been ongoing for 7 years, and such a small amount of progress has been shown.

If I were the Sonic 2 HD team, I would make a couple new wallpapers using the new assets, in a new Zone. So, we have wallpapers from EHZ, how about a mock-up of HTZ with the new assets, or chemical plant for that matter. The general silence and timeframe has people rightfully assuming the project is either dead, or will inevitable die, so it's hard to maintain any excitement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it stated not that far back that something bigger was on its way in terms of a reveal?

12. winterhell

winterhell

It'd be awesome if the team members could work on the project fulltime 40 hours a week, but from what I understand they have families and jobs and not that much time to spare.

13. Seiph

Seiph

Fatty Lobotnik Member
    Well that would require a hefty and constant donation from the fans in order to maintain daily supplies, rent and other payments for each of the team members so that they wouldn't have to work and I doubt Patreon would be a good answer at the end of the day.

14. Retroman

Retroman

New update:
    http://sonic2hd.blogspot.com.au/2017/04/concept-showcase-chemical-plant-zone.html

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm not sure most of them look like HD recreations of Chemical Plant Zone, but it keeps the developers off the street I guess.

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Those are concept images, not final artwork. :v:

17. Wrong topic. You're looking for Sonic Forces, not Sonic 2 HD.

18. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    It's been like 20 minutes and nobody's posted it here, so why not

hype

19. winterhell

winterhell

Noice!

20. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Oh this is still around?

Judging by the demo release date at the end, looks like it'll be a SAGE entry.

I hope the hack detection screen makes an appearance though. It truly was the best thing about S2HD.