don't click here

Sonic 2 HD General

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lanzer, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    What is this thread here for at all? Either it's a thread full of people saying "yea, that looks great!" or it's a thread full of people arguing over a contrary opinion. Equally useless if you ask me.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The actual topic's worth having around, but screaming about how bad something is and demanding that the devs change it isn't exactly going to get anywhere.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't see anyone doing that. All I remember is that last time I said I didn't agree with the way a certain material was rendered, the post got trashed. Wasn't even a big deal, I just figured criticism at all just wasn't allowed.

4. Felik

Felik

We haven't heard a word from devs for a good handful of pages. Last update was not brought by a member of a dev team. Heck, even this thread was not started by a dev team member.

I'm just saying don't put words into their mouth. It's not "The Official Sonic 2 HD Feedback Thread"

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    There's a difference between giving feedback and voicing opinions. People here are entitled to an opinion, but that in no way means it deserves to be listened to or taken seriously. The real issue is just that nit-picking gets annoying to the people around here. The team itself is never here, so the issue of feedback is completely irrelevant in this case. Just don't be dicks is what it boils down to.

6. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Well, Im going to say what I think (yes, I do think).
    It is okay to give feedback, and it is okay to point wrong things if there are. But what I don't think it is okay is to complain about something that people are doing and that will give it to you for free. Sure, we all would like to see a working engine of the game, but if there's nothing to be showed, who are we to request it? There a said over here that I would translate it something like 'You don't look the teeth of a gifted horse'. Of course that if you are horse odontologist, well, you may need to do it, but that's another story.

In theese cases I prefer to not say nothing if I don't have something nice to say.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't see a problem with people voicing their oppinions on an internet forum, but I do see the problem with people derailing topics into "don't voice your oppinions because they annoy me and thus they will destroy this thread"...

8. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Would be interesting to see if any zones aside from HTZ and EHZ have been worked on. I'm probably most excited to see OOZ myself, but that could be some time I guess...

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think there was some work done on Chemical Plant as well, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

10. rata

rata

Argentina
  11. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I read the thread after we put out an update.

No, we haven't asked directly for feedback but when a point with merit is made we take it into consideration.

Obviously, not everyone will be thrilled with the art direction for a given piece. That's to be expected. When I drew the concept that became the final branches design last year I knew that would be the case but we already had so many revisions it was past time for the project's leadership to step in and move things forward for the asset.

Regardless of the history we've had with Sonic Retro, quite a few people here still have a vested interest, so it's good to hear your thoughts for better or worse. I make no promises one way or another, but both Vincent and myself have already approved changes suggested from outside the team.

As a general knowledge bit, we're planning to have three playable zones in the next public release, two of which are done and the third is nearing completion. I'm not going to provide a timeline until we're ready to put it up as an official announcement on Facebook.

Cheers,
    -CK

12. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Wow this is amazing news. Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated. Three playable zones sounds exciting. I had zero idea that the team was that far along. Sounds like Sonic 2 HD mark two is progressing far better than anyone could ever have conceived particularly in comparison to last time. Excited to play the upcoming release.

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I've been thinking of this for a while and while it's great we will get another demo I think it's a bad idea, not because of feedback but because Sega might pull a cease and decease. It happened with the Streets of Rage Remake and the last thing I want to see is this happening to this project. If everything is completed then the game will be out there finished and the final product might allow your team to officially release it.

14. Felik

Felik

So Emerald Hill, Hilltop and Chemical Plant confirmed for the upcoming demo?
    Can't wait to play it even though Hilltop is my least favorite zone from Sonic 2.

15. Retroman

Retroman

I remember Sonic 4 like it was yesterday. Oh the horror!

16. Chaud

Chaud

The thing about SORR was the fact that they were asking for donations. For some reason, even if it wasn't directly for the game itself, SEGA doesn't like any money relation in fangames.

If they don't do it, they should be fine.

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Y'know, for something that was supposedly hit by a C&D, SORR sure does get a lot of update patches...

18. rata

rata

Argentina
    They do have a point. I mean, Sonic is SEGA's creation, and they are the only ones who can move a penny for something related to it. It doesn't matter if there are profit search or not, you can not ask for money even if it is only to help covering development costs. My guess is that they are only allowing it because they won't ever do something similar and it's non profit.

19. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Not just one, but three playable zones? That knocks any stellar one-zone demo wonder in the fan gaming scene out the ballpark, nice.

What's the tech end of things like? I'm betting on either Unity or an existing C++ engine, because most middleware like Game Maker or MMF2 will not cut it for an HD game. (At least on Sonic's scale anyway.) The physics don't have to be an impossibly 100% 1:1 accurate C port from the original game for me, I'm simply interested in what's bringing all these assets together in a playable format.

20. New staff attack post via Sonic 2HD Facebook page:

'It's long past time we showed off some work our fantastic Illustrator has done for SH2D. Today's Staff Attack profiles Jesús Campos! Make sure you click the links at the bottom of the main image in the blog -- two of his concept pieces are yours to enjoy as wallpaper!'

Sonic 2HD blog

[​IMG]