don't click here

Sonic 2 Hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Quickman, Dec 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I've been reading around, finding all sorts of weird things with the beta (all of them have already been found, like I thought there was a skeleton which turned out to be the dinobot). I'd rather like to make a Sonic 2 hack. Can anyone point me on the road to victory?

Attached is the screenshot I took of the "skeleton".

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Never really posted Member
    Flash Animations
    Hey, welcome to the site. :D

*Insert random welcome picture here. Well, someone will post it.*

Anyways, the best way to get started in hacking Sonic games is to take a look around at the community. I would get a set idea of what you want to accomplish down, such as if you want to change pallets, level layouts, etc. Then I would go and download such items as ESE or SonED. To get more options than just what is offered in those programs, check out ShacNet or Nemesis' hacking guides for hex editing info. As for utilities, such as the formeantioned ESE, SonED, pallette editors and more, I'd go to sonicology's utilities page. I hoped that help point you in a good direction. Lost (along with all the other hackers here) might be able to help you out a little bit more, as he is one of the more advanced hackers here, and he may be able to help you out on where to start (I haven't even released my hack yet, so they may be able to help you out more).

3. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    Hmm, that is definatly different! :blink:

4. AmyBitch?

AmyBitch?

wub! Banned
    Loving Simon
    The read to victory is to not give up. Can you handle a hex editor?

5. I agree amy bitch But I have no clue about hex editing

6. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Okay, I'm all set by way of programs to make a hack. Anyone know how to convert a .SMB file to .BIN ? ESE only opens savestates or .BIN files.

7. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    Sonic Hacking Wiz Pro II is the tool for that. Or you can use Genecyst to convert a ROM to binary format (.bin): open it in Genecyst and go to CPU > Dump > ROM. This will create a file named "rom" (without an extension) in the original ROM's directory. From there, I believe you can get away with renaming it to whatever you want, but with a .bin extension.

EDIT: "or can you use Genecyst"...excellent English. Let me fix that...

8. POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

POIZON THE HEDGEHOG

Pending Member
    my version of ESE can change a .SMD to a .bin, look up where all the buttons are on the top toolbar, and you'll see a button that can convert a .SMD to .bin

9. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
  10. Quickman

Quickman

omg porjcet
    Thanks POIZON, I switched back to the old version of ESE (rather than ESE II) and found it. It's so 1337 it's awful. I shall have awful fun designing new levels with this. We shall have to see... stay tuned.

11. BtCE

BtCE

I can't get Gens to run 32X, is there another decent 32X emulator out there?
    ~DarkFalz~

12. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Do you have 32x bios files?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.