don't click here

Sonic 2 GG

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Vitiman, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vitiman

Vitiman

<!--quoteo(post=539790:date=Dec 19 2010, 06:57 AM:name=The KKM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The KKM @ Dec 19 2010, 06:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539790">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=539658:date=Dec 19 2010, 02:30 AM:name=Vitiman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitiman @ Dec 19 2010, 02:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539658">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Game Gear? (Master System for some Europeans).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dude. Game Gear- handheld console. Master System- the percussor of Mega Drive, a house console.

Not the same thing :ssh:
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was saying that some people owned the MS version in Europe because we Canadians didn't get it, but I can see how you could get confused, so I fixed it.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By the way, how did you think Sonic 1 was boring?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was probably because before I figured out how to beat the Underground Zone boss in Sonic 2, I would play Sonic 1. After I kept beating Sky Base Zone over and over and over by hand (that game didn't have a level select code), it got seriously boring to play every other zone afterwords.

2. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I had the Master System version when I was a kid. To be honest, I didn't really like it much back then - I found it to be really hard and couldn't get to grips with the hang gliders, so I never cleared the second Zone (I was used to the easier Mega Drive equivalents, as I had that console before the Master System). I used the level select cheat to play the other levels though =P

As bad as this is, I only completed this game 100% with all the Chaos Emeralds for the first time about six months ago XD My excuse is I haven't played it very much compared to my other games, so I've not had massive amounts of practice. It was amazing to finally do it after all these years though - and I really enjoyed playing the game this time, it was a nice challenge.

3. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    <!--quoteo(post=539805:date=Dec 19 2010, 08:39 AM:name=Jen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jen @ Dec 19 2010, 08:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=539805">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My excuse is I haven't played it very much compared to my other games, so I've not had massive amounts of practice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's kind of how I was and pretty much the same reason why it took me so long to complete it considering how many other games I wanted to play. My playtime with this game was at least once or twice a week and it never really made much of a difference because, like you, I didn't have that much practice.
    To me, this game was a challenge on the side type of deal.

4. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    I played it on the Game Gear. Good game, but it might stand as the hardest Sonic game. I died more times on Underground Zone than I care to admit. But I did eventually prevail, now I just need to get all those emeralds.

5. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    I've played it. It came with my GG system. I actually enjoyed it even though it was rather difficult. I still come back to it every now and then. Overall, good game! :thumbsup:

Other Sonic games for GG I own:

<ul><li>Sonic Chaos</li><li>Sonic Triple Trouble</li><li>Sonic Drift 2</li></ul>

Sonic Chaos is by far my favorite. Love the Gigapolis Zone music!!!

6. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    I had it for the GG when I was little. I mostly died at the first boss, then progressed to get better, making it past the second zone's act 2, then it's boss one time on the way to the dentist. Since then, I finished it without much sweat in an emulator, but man was it difficult then :(

I had Triple Trouble then. I preferred it.

7. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Besides Columns, it was the only GG game I had when I was younger. I played it all the time, but wasn't very good at it. My sister was a wizard at it, though, and beat it.

I remember watching the credits on the little screen and being very excited seeing the "constellation" pictures at the end.

Crystal Egg and Gimmick Mountain are still some of my favourite zones.

8. I never beat Sonic 2, although I loved Triple Trouble and Chaos. I remember passing around my Game Gear with some other kids trying to beat the first boss at this place we all stayed when our parents worked. I must've been just five or so at the time...

9. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    This is one of my favourite Sonic games because it's challenging. Definitely beatable, and not as hard as people make out, but definitely more challenging than the average Sonic game.

I've had the Master System version since I was very young, as friends were clearing out Master System games in order to make way for a Mega Drive collection. I got the Game Gear version relatively recently, with my first (defective) Game Gear. I've since bought another machine and yeah, I enjoy playing it even now. One day I'll have to bring it along to a UK meet and beat that boss in front of Overlord. =P

10. Vitiman

Vitiman

I've noticed that the biggest complaint amongst you guys is the difficulty. After had recently beaten Sonic 2 and 3k, I decided to give Sonic 2 another whirl again, and I must truly say it was a very nice change in pace and difficulty after the breeze Sonic 2 was, and the moderate jumpiness of 3k's difficulty, I mean, it's a great game and all, but damn did Sandopolis have to be so fucking hard? I have no complaints besides those, though. I just have some attachment with 2 for the Game Gear, probably nostalgia or something.

11. Gave up after sky zone, too much for my little mind to handle (at the time). Might give it another whirl if I can find it.

12. Vangar

Vangar

I owned it for Master System when I was a Kidd (hur hur). I had beaten Sonic 1 with all emeralds when I was like 7, but I could never find all the emerals in Sonic 2 SMS. So I never saw the real ending until youtube.

The sky level usually was the worst for me. Something never repeated after this game is Sonics ability to roll-bounce across lakes when you get enough speed - I thought it was awesome.

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Most of the actual stages are easy enough to complete. Getting the Chaos Emeralds requires some very good timing in most cases (getting the jumps just right in Undergound Zone Act 2 is a pain, made easier by skipping to the very last jump by hitting the spring to the exit and curving left; Sky High Zone Act 2's is rather confusing to me, due to requiring hidden springs out the ass, leaving me to this day confused about how to consistently get it). Also, the first boss is downright cruel on the Game Gear version (take a somewhat easy boss from the Master System version, reduce the amount of space you have to maneuver while keeping the bombs just as lethal and fast-moving, and then introduce randomly-induced variations in the bombs which you won't be able to predict until you have to immediately contend with them... yeah, whose bright idea was this again?), and to this day is the most memorable part of the game for me - and not in a good way.

Crystal Egg Zone Acts 1 & 2 were pretty damn gorgeous, though. There's a theme worth revisiting.

14. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I've owned Sonic 2 on GG since I was a little kid. My dad beat the first boss back then, and I didn't do it until much much later. Never beaten the whole game, either. I've beaten Sonic 1 SMS, but that's about it.

15. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Dammit, I wish the transistors in my game gear hadn't blown. /fuck

16. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I played S2GG a lot more than S2MD. Because, I have a Game Gear :v:
    I could never beat it when I was a kid, though now I can easily do that.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly I always found this game to be way too difficult for me. However the MS version is easier due to the bigger screen space (seriously the first boss in the GG version is evil).

I'd love to see this version ported to the Genesis Sonic 2 though. I never liked the look of the MS Sonic games, but if it looked better and had a better feel with higher quality music perhaps I'd be more inclined to change my mind. I'd also like to see a Sonic CD hack with proper Genesis sound effects (thus replacing the jump, skid, spindashing, and whatever other broken SF there are in that game) and Sonic 2 sprites but since I can't do it it'll probably never happen.

18. Vitiman

Vitiman

<!--quoteo(post=540126:date=Dec 20 2010, 05:23 PM:name=Dark Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Dec 20 2010, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=540126">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly I always found this game to be way too difficult for me. However the MS version is easier due to the bigger screen space (seriously the first boss in the GG version is evil).

I'd love to see this version ported to the Genesis Sonic 2 though. I never liked the look of the MS Sonic games, but if it looked better and had a better feel with higher quality music perhaps I'd be more inclined to change my mind. I'd also like to see a Sonic CD hack with proper Genesis sound effects (thus replacing the jump, skid, spindashing, and whatever other broken SF there are in that game) and Sonic 2 sprites but since I can't do it it'll probably never happen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Finally someone agrees with my ideas that I never mentioned in the first place.

A Sonic 2 GG remake would be great, with the updated visuals and soundtrack, a new engine could be put into place that would be less buggy than the original. But considering that I don't have any hacking skills whatsoever, not to mention the fact that Sonic Worlds is just not a good engine for this kind of game. Seeing this game with a modern engine get's me really, I dunno, iffy. But it might be just me. Sonic 2 GG just didn't play a lot like other Sonic games, but it sure as hell wasn't completely different, or bad.

19. Eggman Crusher

Eggman Crusher