don't click here

Sonic 2 early prototype, dumped

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I really don't think we should be bothering them for something like this =/

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    What would make us "bothering" them any different from the last time we were in contact with them? We have another proto, with more, different material, and that raises a lot more questions than we had initially with the Wai beta. I think we'd be fully within reason to raise more questions to the game developers, and even show them the new proto to remind them of what they did at the time it was compiled.

3. Rachel Mae

Rachel Mae

heart of gold, dumb of ass Oldbie
    Henderson, NV
    existing
    Anyone else notice this font in the ROM? It starts at $30000:

[​IMG]

Notice the odd two-letter symbols at the beginning:

SH SX EX ET EQ AK BL BS HT LF VT FF CR SO SI DE D1 D2 D3 D4 NK SN EB CN EM SB EC

Apparently, those are shorthand for the first 27 ASCII control codes. Why they're in here, though, is a mystery...

4. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game

Most of these people don't seem to mind answering questions from what I can tell =P

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  6. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    as long as they don't mind.. just don't make it like that interview with Craig Sitt where he was asked about the "Master Emerald" about 10 times.

7. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    That was pretty funny looking back on it.

8. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I was surprised he didn't go, "You want your GENOCIDE CITY? here's your Genocide City" *shoots everyone in the interview*
    "There, there's your fucking Genocide City, Im outta here!"

9. Neo Geo MVS

Neo Geo MVS

Giga Power Pro-Gear Spec Oldbie
    Wow, I never thought I would see anyone track down the Nick Arcade build, much less get a chance to try it myself. Congratulations, drx, and thanks for dumping it (and thanks to those who donated as well).

(By the way, sorry for being a little late, but I didn't find out about this until I stumbled on it yesterday while looking for a working URL for Ristar Cluster.)

10. Vangar

Vangar

Offtopic but, did you find a link for Ristar Clustar?

EDIT: I just thought of something. With the recent beta in mind and its empty level slots, I have a theory as to why one level slot is called Genocide city in the Wai beta. Programmers do have a little fun, and if one level sends you straight to death when selected, what better then to call that slot genocide city, for laughs. I mean, there is no hard evidence genocide city ever existed, and even the concept art found was not Genocide, but the other metallic level which I have forgotten.

"oh, we still have labrinth zone on the level select, but it goes right to death"
    "haha, hey I have a funny idea *changes level name*"
    "lol. Genocide. lol"

EDIT2: I was looking at the site when I found this:
    Is this still true? ARZ wasn't even made until later, shows this beta.

11. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Guys, we shouldnt hammer devs all the time. IMO we shouldn't use up all the contacts for something they won't remember anyway. Time will come, there's no hurry...

12. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Actually, I wouldn't put that past them. Maybe they were poking fun at the fact that the Cyber City level hadn't been started yet so they changed it to 'Genocide City.' =P

13. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Craig and probably Tim Skelly are about the only people we are in with that were there in Sonic 2 iirc.

14. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Why doesn't anyone ever find Yuji's e-mail? =P

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    LOst had it at one point, but it turns out he just forwards fan-related emails back to SoJ anyway, so it wouldn't do much good even if we DID have it.

16. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    BAM, gone.

what are you looking at? =)

17. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
    Czechia
    Wow, something gold? And something more then proto? Wow ... You are really great, drx ! (yea, I know I don't know what he have, but it sure is gold :))

EDIT: spelling

18. TeRaByTe88

TeRaByTe88

Pending Member
    ok well I've thoroughly read this topic and played the proto for a while now and I have some theories to contribute... these may or may not be true depending

At this point in development, the game was still being thought up correct so here's what I've come up with

1) Hidden Palace Zone- HPZ is still the same as it was in our proto, which leads me to think that at this time, Mystic Cave/Dust Hill zone was being thought up, and Sonic Team just stopped working on HPZ in favor of MCZ but did not bother to take HPZ out until the game was near it's final build.

2) Genocide/Cyber City- I think that this zone was merely thought up, perhaps during this time, as an alternate zone that was later scrapped in favor of Metropolis Zone, this would explain the lost art in this proto as being part of that Early MZ/GCZ. I think that at one point in development, some sprites were developed for this early build of MZ, but I think that by the time of the wai proto, this Idea was completely scrapped and rewritten by the MZ we know.

3) The missing desert level- Was just never developed, the screens we have of it from those magazines are fake, perhaps a desert zone was planned for the game, but I don't think it ever made it past the drawing board.

4) A retooled GHZ- was probably planned to be in Sonic 2 at first, but was quickly scrapped in favor of EHZ. Think about it though, the SMS beta of sonic 2 had GHZ in it, so why would the Genesis version not also have it to begin with??

19. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    About #4 the reason Wai beta doesn't have the explosion is because the object system is that of S2's and they did not get around to coding the Boss Explosion Object [Obj58 In Final] Yet.

20. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    It is my personal thought, on the subject of GHZ, is that they planned to bring it back, but later scrapped that idea and replaced it with ARZ, which is why it's "Neo Green Hill Zone" in the Wai beta, as it was the replacement for GHZ.

Or, and probably more likely, the GHZ shown was simply a test for the 128x128 tile system before they had drawn the new graphics, and was not yet removed.