don't click here

Sonic 2 Delta v0.25

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Esrael, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    Brazil, São Paulo, Guarulhos
    Neto Assembler Editor / Sonic 2 Delta / Neto MD-DOS
    Whats new?
    - Objects now uses Sonic 3/K Style Status Table ($4A size).
    - Level layouts uses Y indexed like Sonic 3/K. (Some improvements on tiles loading).
    - Level Select Menu now Has separated pages for Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 Levels

- Fixed some bugs from previous version, like rotating pallete for sonic in Sonic 1 Special Stage.
    - All objects was manually edited to new SST.
    - Improved some code (ex: Centisecond now uses a table, previous versions uses divs).

2P Mode Still working.

http://sonichacking.com/romhacks/deltav025a.rar or http://esraelneto.com.br/romhacks/deltav025a.rar

Due to many changes in code is possible to have some unnoticed bugs.

Please comments.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The objects of this version can be easily ported to Sonic 3/K.
    Here a prototype of next generation of Sonic Delta: (Gens only 40Mbit Rom)
    http://sonichacking.com/romhacks/deltanext.rar or http://esraelneto.com.br/romhacks/deltanext.rar

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Surprised no one else has commented on this. Amazing that you're still working on this after so long! Great work! Haven't run into any bugs yet.

And finally someone is making the Sonic 1/2/3/K in 1 hack that people have been asking about forever! Too bad it's Gens only.

3. JojHeywood

JojHeywood

Arbitrary. Member
    Man, that prototype sure is interesting. I assume you're aware of the quirks what need ironing out but it's a great look into what's to come.

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Two things I picked up on in a Knuckles run:

• The glitch where you phase through monitors if you are going diagonally up at them. Easily noticable in GHZ.
    • Knux doesn't bust through breakable walls in GHZ... easy mistake as these aren't in S2.

Oh... and dat Level Select. Pls continue this Esrael... like, zOMGs

5. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    It loads and runs in BizHawk, which has its Genesis core based on Genesis Plus. (So it should be more accurate than Gens) For the most part it plays fine there. The random Sonic 3 and Knuckles levels I tried all were fine.
    Not sure if the missing objects in some of the Sonic 1 and 2 levels are because of running in the wrong emulator, or just the early state of those ports.

Either way, very cool to see this, since it was the next logical progression after that 1+2+3 hack.

6. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

The cute one here Tech Member
    Finland
    AMPS
    I played the first 5 levels, after getting too frustrated and stopped. What can I say? Knuckles has missing sound effects. GHZ port is ok but laggy and could have been done better. EHZ layout edit is fine but could be better. WHZ is just boring as heck, almost not objects anywhere, unchallenging layouts, repeating patterns galore, I just wished it was over 90% of the time, and I fell through layout countless of times. WZ was almost as horrible, while it had more going on, the collision was seriously fucked beyond belief, even the badniks fell through it, as I did, they layout was just annoying more than anything, and one section in act 2 had 20-30 chunks of straight line... That is awful design decision. DHZ was better though, with a lot more going on, decent layouts, but god damn full of cheap traps and ways to annoy the fuck out of the player, especially the thingys which shoot fireballs, it is almost impossible to avoid hitting those fireballs all the time, and overall it was not really pleasing experience. Even the music ports you made were mostly sounding horrible or mediocre at least, many having pitch issues and completely sounding wrong, some even to the point of almost hurting ears.

I can't really pick much positive to say, because honestly there isn't. This hack is sloppy thing with all the content slapped in somewhat working. This would need serious work to be a decent product, and I am saying this just based on 5 LEVELS!

7. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I think it's fair to say that this hack had the longest development lifespan of all time. It's nice to see that this continues to be a thing. That being said, I wonder when or even if it'll ever hit v1.0. :v:

8. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    Q.F.T.
    This continues to be problem throughout the game as well.
    My biggest problem with Sonic 2 Delta is the level layouts.
    I know that the likes of Wood Zone, Winter Zone, Dust Hill, Genocide City (Cyber city, as we now know), and other scrapped levels didn't have much to work from, but that's why it's critically important to make those zones unique and interesting, make the best of what you have... Or even add new content, even if you're unsure about the whether the gimmick was planned in the level. The beta restoration levels you have in place are empty, lifeless, and really need a face lift. All the badniks are recycled, and Sonic 1 got away with that because it was a first, but in Sonic 2, there were NO repeat badniks between zones... There are even badniks FROM Sonic 2 Beta that we have art for that weren't reimplemented. If Sonic 2 Delta is a prototype imitation, it's a really poor one, to be honest. All of the custom levels are more of a chore to play than anything else... Also, Emerald Hill 2P's music is a HORRIBLE match for Wood Zone, it doesn't fit at all.

And I also would like to add:
    [​IMG]
    Really? You just filled in the pit and put a platform down there? Not an alternate path or something? Also, if it's a beta imitation, why is the HUD from Sonic 3... Besides the E in SCORE?

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything. There really is some genuine effort in this hack, and you'd done a lot of creative and unique things with it, I just feel like you've made a lot of misguided decisions, and your level design needs a lot of improvement. Rework the custom levels, and this could be a real gem... Even a Chaos Emerald.

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Wow...you either die a hero, or hack a game long enough to see yourself become the villain.

So, basically what everyone is saying is true. At the time of these hacks release these were GROUNDBREAKING. Now, with current tools, about everyone and their mom can change graphics and mappings in Sonic 2. It sounds like this hack has done a lot more work under the hood than it has done graphically and layout wise. The complains I've seen so far have been in this game for YEARS. Winter hill had that layout in 2005. This is 10 years people.

It looks more like he's layed the ground work for 1-3k to be in one rom. Kudos for that.

10. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    I'm certainly not saying he hasn't done any good work, he has done a lot, especially back in the old days. I myself just never bothered to bring the faults up online until someone else brought them up in a place where he'd see them. It just needs a step up in the level design category, and you're not wrong, it's been needed for years... This is also the first release of Delta I've been around at the time of release for, I believe.

11. Odemus

Odemus

Windy Valley Zone
    Sonic 3CD and Knuckles and Knuckles ;)
    Yes, it seems that in the current state most that has been done is under the hood work. I do hope this will pave the way for more hacks to combine 1-3 in one rom.

12. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Bug report: If you enter a giant ring at the exact moment the stage clear music starts to play, it scrambles the music pretty badly.
    Bug report: There is a slope in Winter Hill Zone that can send you into the ground, allowing the player to wallzip. However, I couldn't reproduce it for a video...
    Bug report: The Wood Zone boss is missing its music.
    Bug report: There's no protection from allowing the player to do this during said Wood Zone boss:

Bug report: Get all 7 Chaos Emeralds, and you get this during the tally screen:
    [​IMG]

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm loving that you're taking on the task of throwing all the classic Sonic's into one game, I really hope you can get this thing working on an actual Genesis or at least Kega Fusion though, I forgot how much Gens sucks.

Looking forward to seeing more from this! As for the original delta it's neat I guess. I don't know the levels have been the same for 10 years. Any plans on porting the Sonic 2 ios Hidden Palace layout?

14. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    Brazil, São Paulo, Guarulhos
    Neto Assembler Editor / Sonic 2 Delta / Neto MD-DOS
    -Wood Zone Boss Music - fixed.
    -Wood Zone Boss Pilar bug - fixed.
    -SS Results Screen Error - fixed.

-Level Select Menu music - fixed
    -Scrap Brain 2 can't be completed - fixed.
    -Random crashes in Mystic Cave 2P - fixed.
    and more....

Real Hardware compatible

http://sonichacking.com/romhacks/deltav025a.rar or http://esraelneto.com.br/romhacks/deltav025a.rar

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next generation prototype updated with more object port: (40 MBit Rom without bank switch emulator only)
    http://sonichacking.com/romhacks/deltanext.rar or http://esraelneto.com.br/romhacks/deltanext.rar

15. Esrael...You're such a magical man. I remember playing this back in the day. It's nice to see this still being updated!

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    How soon can we expect any tests levels ported over from 3k?