Sonic 2 Companion

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Skeledroid, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

So, I mostly never post here aside from when there's a new prototype release -- or when I released the RAM editor for emulator. However, you guys enjoy showing off your hacks a lot, so I figured I'd show mine off. I've decided to hack Sonic 2, as it was my first experience with Sonic the Hedgehog and just seemed proper. I just beat Sonic CD for the first time the other day, after neglecting to play it since my copy as a child stopped working. It inspired me to make a fan game/ROM hack, I decided on the latter because it'd be much easier given the tools that this community has put out. Anyway, I'm just gunna post a couple screen shots and probably bump this thread whenever -- like the other threads on this board.

As of right now, I'm merely going through the levels and adjusting the palettes to schemes I come up with (pretty much on the fly). As you'd imagine, I plan on creating all new levels for each scheme and, hopefully, do some more interesting things. My only plan for game-play right now is very fast and bouncing all over the place... similar to the 3D Sonic games (which, generally, I am not a fan of at all).

I'm by no means a ROM hacker, this will be my first ROM hack. My only emulation related claims to fame are two emulators written in Visual Basic (most of which I did not code). So, we'll see how this goes.

On with the screen shots (in the order which I think the zones will appear in the game so far)...

This is Crimson Cave Zone at the moment, based off Mystic Cave Zone obviously. I see this zone being very vertical and treacherous in my brainstorming.

This is Frosty Palms Zone. This is probably how it will appear in the final release as I am very happy with the way it turned out. It's based off Emerald Hill Zone, of course, and will probably be very hilly and explorable.

This is Volcano Rim Zone, based off Hill Top Zone, which will probably be one of the later zones in the game. The white plants and trees are supposed to be covered in ash, since it's an active volcano. I think this zone should be as difficult as possible and have tons of lava because it looks so menacing.

That's all for now, I'd love to hear some criticism from you guys. :)

2. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Palettes look decent, but they're just palettes.

Try to do something of some degree of significance before posting.

3. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

<!--quoteo(post=373302:date=Nov 14 2009, 06:39 PM:name=Afti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Afti @ Nov 14 2009, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373302">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Palettes look decent, but they're just palettes.

Try to do something of some degree of significance before posting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Most people only show a screen shot of a level, which is really no different when you think about it. Hearing that my palettes look nice is energy for me to keep going. :)

4. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    It's completely different. A level layout or art takes more effort than opening up HivePal and fiddling with sliders. A good palette is merely a complimentary aspect to a good layout or good art.

5. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

<!--quoteo(post=373313:date=Nov 14 2009, 06:52 PM:name=Afti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Afti @ Nov 14 2009, 06:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373313">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's completely different. A level layout or art takes more effort than opening up HivePal and fiddling with sliders. A good palette is merely a complimentary aspect to a good layout or good art.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Understood, but I'd like to hear feedback on my palettes no matter how insignificant it seems. People also like to see progress and they'll get to see this one from the beginning.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Misfit
    Palettes look pretty good so far, but I'd like to see you try your hand at editing the levels. If nothing else, this certainly has potential to be a well-rounded layout hack, which is always a good thing.

Hope to see things progress! :)

7. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

At the moment, I don't plan on touching the levels until I have the palettes figured out. I want them to flow story-like and make sense, I'm kind of big on that aspect. Don't need to go cave -> space -> city -> space again or whatever. I want the difficulty to ascend too, so yeah... palettes/concepts first. I totally agree though, showing off some level design would be great, but give me a few days. :)

8. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

Settled on a palette and title for Metropolis Zone... it shall be called: Steam Factory Zone.

9. Sparks

Sparks

Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
    If you know what graphic changes you want to do, you might have a better idea of what pallets you want to do. ;)

10. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

<!--quoteo(post=373363:date=Nov 14 2009, 08:48 PM:name=Sparks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparks @ Nov 14 2009, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373363">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you know what graphic changes you want to do, you might have a better idea of what pallets you want to do. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sort of, I'm just kinda editing the palette per zone and feeling out what I like most. I've settled on my palette for Aquatic Ruin Zone...

I'm just calling it Fuschia Ruin Zone for now.

11. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    <!--quoteo(post=373372:date=Nov 14 2009, 09:05 PM:name=olaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (olaf @ Nov 14 2009, 09:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373372">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=373363:date=Nov 14 2009, 08:48 PM:name=Sparks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparks @ Nov 14 2009, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373363">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you know what graphic changes you want to do, you might have a better idea of what pallets you want to do. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sort of, I'm just kinda editing the palette per zone and feeling out what I like most. I've settled on my palette for Aquatic Ruin Zone...

[​IMG]

I'm just calling it Fuschia Ruin Zone for now.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It looks like Marble Zone. I like it. :)

12. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    These are nice palettes, but I find too many people make a topic too early. Don't get me wrong, you look like you're making progress through.

You really like red, don't you? =P

13. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    There ok.. but again already said its just palettes. I would like to see some new art, or perhaps something asm wise. Your obviously making progress but because sonic 2 hacks and sonic 1 hacks are common we just see too many palette hacks that just stay as palette hacks and don't go any where, you know?. But If your serious on this, then I hope to see more art and other stuff, other than just your palettes but hey its your first hack so good luck with that. :)

14. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    <!--quoteo(post=373583:date=Nov 15 2009, 11:17 AM:name=Animemaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Animemaster @ Nov 15 2009, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373583">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but because sonic 2 hacks and sonic 1 hacks are common<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm sorry, I honestly laughed.

Sonic 1 is the most commonly hacked here, then Sonic 2 by a good fair distance, and just now as you would know, there's a very small craze for S3K. I blame Varion, really :P

OT, the palletes look really nice—though I aswell would love to see some art changes or levels or something. Wishing good luck on the project, looks very promising!

15. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

<!--quoteo(post=373428:date=Nov 14 2009, 11:00 PM:name=GasparXR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GasparXR @ Nov 14 2009, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373428">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->These are nice palettes, but I find too many people make a topic too early. Don't get me wrong, you look like you're making progress through.

You really like red, don't you? =P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I have to go back and get rid of all the red... I've noticed that there's a lot of red.

On the topic of hacks just ending up being a palette hack... This will mostly be palette changes (probably a little new art) with drastically new level layouts/order. I will try to tinker around with it on a daily basis with no real deadline. I want this to be very casually done, so I don't get bored with it.

16. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    <!--quoteo(post=373738:date=Nov 15 2009, 07:37 PM:name=DalekSam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DalekSam @ Nov 15 2009, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373738">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=373583:date=Nov 15 2009, 11:17 AM:name=Animemaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Animemaster @ Nov 15 2009, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373583">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but because sonic 2 hacks and sonic 1 hacks are common<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sonic 1 is the most commonly hacked here, then Sonic 2 by a good fair distance, and just now as you would know, there's a very small craze for S3K. I blame Varion, really :P

OT, the palletes look really nice—though I aswell would love to see some art changes or levels or something. Wishing good luck on the project, looks very promising!
    I wasn't saying that sonic 2 was as common as sonic 1, but still the point is there and made,so there isn't anything else to say other than I chose to do a s3k hack because I've been wanting to for ages.
    Also if you do good layouts and other stuff ect, it won't matter too much with the palettes because it will have the other features with it.

17. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

<!--quoteo(post=373747:date=Nov 15 2009, 03:50 PM:name=Animemaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Animemaster @ Nov 15 2009, 03:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373747">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=373738:date=Nov 15 2009, 07:37 PM:name=DalekSam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DalekSam @ Nov 15 2009, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373738">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=373583:date=Nov 15 2009, 11:17 AM:name=Animemaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Animemaster @ Nov 15 2009, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373583">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but because sonic 2 hacks and sonic 1 hacks are common<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wasn't saying that sonic 2 was as common as sonic 1, but still the point is there and made,so there isn't anything else to say other than I chose to do a s3k hack because I've been wanting to for ages.
    Also if you do good layouts and other stuff ect, it won't matter too much with the palettes because it will have the other features with it.
    Yeah, my main focus is a streamlined feel in the level design. I just want perfect palettes to go with them. :)

18. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

Changed up MCZ, so I don't have so many red zones...

Started some work on CPZ, also. I'm going to use the DEZ space background and make it kind of like Star Light Zone.

19. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

hey, adora Oldbie
    hell (chicago (same difference))
    photography, webdev, college, being a massive gay
    <!--quoteo(post=373769:date=Nov 15 2009, 03:35 PM:name=olaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (olaf @ Nov 15 2009, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373769">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Changed up MCZ, so I don't have so many red zones...

[​IMG]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Oooh, I really like that. Very nice color choice there, it works quite well.
    Also, just a touch of advice: I noticed that the reds you used in a few zones is pretty... well, harsh. Try using some slightly muted tones instead of plain #FF0000.

20. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    I suggest changing the bg red aswell, to maybe a lighter version of the blue in the fg? or maybe darker? I think it would fit well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.