don't click here

Sonic 2 Bounce Combo vid

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Zephyr, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I remember seeing a video here a while back that demonstrated a long chain of bounces off of badniks and monitors, in Emerald Hill. Can't seem to find it when I search youtube though.

Anyone have a link to it?

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZV5UNS2y60

??

3. upg

upg

The classics have a strong sense of acrobatics to them, kind sets it apart from the Sonic 4 series

4. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Seeing that makes me wish upon Dimps and the Sonic 4 Brand Managers the most malignant form of dick cancer!

5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    That would indeed be the one I'm after. Thank you!

6. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    ooh I like this guy :P

Also, I know it's a tool-assisted run, but watch this video at 2:25... the way he flies through Act 3 by bouncing off one thing after another can't have been a coincidence or happy-accident by the original level designers...
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qCxlls4uqY#t=2m25s[/youtube]

7. Felik

Felik

He could easily adjust his speed with tool assistance, you just didn't notice that.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It doesn't look like they changed Sonic's speed with tool assistance, he seems to have just used the speed shoes to somehow exploit the slope nearby, as seen here:

(at 1:46)

9. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    There is quite a bit of speed adjustment needed to bounce off those badniks in GHZ3; it is not a matter of just holding right. It is hard to notice unless you have something to display the input, though.

10. Bouncing was always fun. I always remember this being frequently easy in Palmtree Panic-- very fun

11. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    Uhhh... just because something is TAS doesn't mean it alters the game's own inherent physics/anomalies. He picked up super-shoes and just ham-fisted his way to the end of the stage.

Oh, it's IceKnight to the rational rescue. ( <3 )

But really, depending on where/when you jump off of an angled surface of ground (loop-exit exploits, anyone?) you can influence the lateral direction and momentum of Sonic... and Super-Shoes just adds more to the equation.

"it is not a matter of just holding right"
    Yeah, well whenever I was ever navigating Sonic in mid-air in the original Genesis games, I was never simply holding right or left until I landed again, it was a constant tapping of one direction or the other (if not both) to ensure a very precise trajectory... which is 99.8% of the reason I was so disgusted at the fact that he instantly stopped lateral movement in Sonic 4 when you would let-go of the D-Pad.

There's a modified ROM or a modified version of Kega/Gens which shows what inputs a person is "pressing" on a frame-by-frame basis, but if you watch either of those videos (the one I posted, or the other one that IceKnight posted), I really think they;re just holding "right" while using Super-Shoes... Sonic's spinning sprite doesn't flip directions once in the whole time; pay attention to the circular, white reflection on his sprite.

12. Felik

Felik

Guys, classic games are cool and all but please don't seek for things that are just not there. Yes you can't pull off things like that in S4:E1 because it's physics suck. But that alone doesn't make classic games so elaborate that they intentionally make you do cool stuff. You can't bounce like that without a lot (and by that I mean A LOT) of practice. You also need to memorize the layout do that.
    It seems like you just desperately seek for yet another reason to say that classics games >>> modern games.
    Yes S4:E1 sucks compared to classic sonic games. We all know that let's move on.

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Many times I've gotten lucky and done things like this in Sonic 1 and 2, even when I played it as a child. It's not that impossibly difficult to have it happen in Green Hill Zone.

Nope, all he said was that the Classics >>> Sonic 4; he said nothing of the other modern games...

14. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I'm sorry, but (and you may call it denial if you wish) I absolutely refuse to believe the enemy and item box placement in Emerald Hill Zone 1 was anything other than by design, and on purpose. (Watch from 0:16 onwards)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHo2hTQLBd8[/youtube]

For starters, there's the invincibility monitor placed very oddly on top of that loop (when a precedent has been set for them usually being in the center). Then the next bounce is in an area absolutely peppered with bounce-targets; the ring-box in particular looking the most oddly-placed (since normal play sends you up the curve and right out of its way). The bouncing physics being as they are further suggest that the whole behaviour was by design and not happenstance.

It's not that much of a quest to find reasons, to be honest. They are.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Intentional or not, the fact that the physics and programming even allow for this kind of short-cutting once the game is mastered makes them infinitely better.

16. Good point, Zephyr. For a reward of layout mastery in Sonic 4, we have rapid air dashing. Not nearly as fun

17. Felik

Felik

That wasn't my point at all :v:

18. I think it's mostly the fact that, intentional or not, they've given you the ability to actually be able to pull stuff off like that, meaning that in open levels you can find shortcuts basically everywhere, unlike Sonic 4's pre-determined routes. And I do believe some enemy/box placement is exactly for that, for the player to be able to bounce from it and find new ground. I mean, I bet everyone has played GH1, gone through the S tunnel and up the ramp through the group of rings, and then you bounce off a flying badnik to keep on soaring.

And this isn't really so much "digging for reasons to say how Classic Sonic is better than Modern Sonic/Sonic 4 atleast", more just a realisation on what you can actually do in the Classic games without realising.

19. Vangar

Vangar

The fact that the monitors are oddly placed on top of the loops that make it possible to pull this off make me wonder.

20. Deef

Deef

Wahey, I made up this little challenge (but didn't complete it, that was Solaris). It's cool to see that it is still quickly recognised not just as a bit of fun, but as a demonstration of something missing from Sonic 4.

Just because I think it's a bit of a pretty post, here is its OP on the official boards. I suggested another such challenge later in the same thread, but it did not take off at all. I don't think it would have looked as cool on video anyway.

It's a shame Sonic Fan Remix didn't have this act; I would have loved to try it out there.