don't click here

Sonic 2 beta pirate cartridge

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shoemanbundy, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I've been searching for the elusive Sonic 2 beta pirate's for awhile now. So far I have turned up absolutely nothing. What I am talking about are the carts and boxes shown on Sonic Cult.
    http://sonic-cult.org/dispart.php?catid=6&...d=1&artid=3

There's not much more I want to ask other than has anyone actually had one of these, or even seen them in person? We've gone 10 years since Andre Dirk's supposed copy, plus I think someone else that was a friend of his or something had one? One thing I've wondered about it is this screenshot from Andre Dirk of the cart on this page:
    http://sost.emulationzone.org/oldsosth/old...nic_2/s2p3.html
    Are one of those shots on Sonic Cult from a 2nd pic Andre took, or was there yet a 3rd person who once had one?
    On that note, where did these box scans come from? I'm still finding it hard to believe two)three?) people had this thing yet we're only left with scans from a decade ago.

I have access to tons and tons of pirates, and have kept an eye out, plus have had people in Taiwan keep an eye out, for any copy of this game that pops up. So far, it's yet to appear once. Why is it so impossible for this thing to ever surface again? It seems like for something that was made to fool people before the official release, there must have been more than 2 copies that were produced.

2. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    I would love to have one of these

3. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Didn't Esrael use to have one of these pirates?

And possibly drx has like 7 of these :P

4. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I THINK I asked drx once and he didn't have one.

If Esrael has one I'd love to see that. Just proof it exists. I swear it's almost like some elaborate hoax with how it's so impossible to find it outside of info from 10 years ago.

5. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    They're 17-year-old pirate carts from Asia. That's probably why they're so hard to find these days. :P

6. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I have one pirate cart with one Sonic2beta on it... the ROM has 2 bytes different from ROM images that float around.

7. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Really? Got any pics? Any different from the two pics of the cart we've seen so far?

8. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I may able to dig up something, but when I get back home, and that happens somewhere in Saturday or probably Sunday. It is different, and there\s quite a few variations available in www.newgame.ru :P

9. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I've looked all over their site and can't find any Sonic 2 beta pirates anywhere. Link? :P

And a pic of yours would be cool still :)

10. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Strange... Sonic 2 Beta cartridges were a lot common here in Brazil, back in the time. In fact, holded into one, even though, at the time, I had no idea that it was a beta, or what a beta was whatsoever. I was so pissed with it, because my friend had told me that it was a different version of Sonic 2, a supposed japanese version, so I had to check it out. It turned out to me that the game was broken, It felt incomplete, and the level select code was as easy as holding A and pressing Start.

With luck, I might still have it lying in here somewhere.

11. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    Brazil, São Paulo, Guarulhos
    Neto Assembler Editor / Sonic 2 Delta / Neto MD-DOS
    I got my Sonic 2 Beta cart between 1993 and 1995 here is a picture of My Sonic 2 Beta PCB picture

------------------------------------------------------------

Esrael Neto

Current project -> Esrael Neto Media Player with analog VU Meter (www.esraelneto.com.br)

12. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Can we see the front label? Is it the same as the other Megadrive shaped pirates?

I haven't seen pics of a beta in the Genesis style carts yet.

13. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    I'd love to buy a Sonic 2 Beta pirate cartridge....it can be MegaDrive or Genesis format, my Genesis plays both. I've never actually LOOKED for a cartridge, though. Maybe our Brazilian buddies can help us get one? :)

14. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I have forgotten about this... I have all my games laid out on my couch for some photos, I'll take couple of my Sonic2 cart too then

15. Esrael

Esrael

Neto Tech Member
    Brazil, São Paulo, Guarulhos
    Neto Assembler Editor / Sonic 2 Delta / Neto MD-DOS
    The case are from a Castle of Illusion, someone switched the PCB of original Castle of Illusion and Sonic 2 Beta.

16. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

Are there known betas of Sonic 2 that we DON'T know about yet?

17. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    If we don't know about them, how do we know if they exist? :P

18. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Good point...

19. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    There's at least one known Sonic 2 prototype that we don't have yet. It's the one with the "NEO GREEN H***" title card. (The "***" is graphical corruption.) There were some magazine scans featuring this proto. (I can't be arsed to look up the scans right now. :P)

EDIT: Known as in it existed at one point. It might not exist anymore. :(

20. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    [​IMG]

Credit to Hivebrain (located on S2B)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.