don't click here

Sonic 2 And Time

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SKSpawn, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think it's pretty safe to assume that Sonic 2 was originally planned to sue the Time Travel format in Sonic CD, or at least a version of it. However it seems that the format was to be used in a different way, as far as I can see.

Wood Zone is obviously the Past of Metropolis City (it has the same kind of archways in the tree logs, like the lifts, and has convyor belt type apparatus like in Metroplis City), Dust Hill was rumore to be the Past of Emerald Hill (I think) and Genocide City was the Future of Chemical Plant. Assuming for a second that Sonic 2 was going to use Time Travel, why do only a few Zones actually have different Time Periods? And why are so many of them from the Past? Could Sonic have moved from Present to Past and back to the Present again? If so, why weren't thee any Future Levels? Or maybe there were Future Levels and they weren't all made. Maybe each Level was to have Three Acts; Past, Present and Future? (Slight evidence of this comes from the Three Act Metropolis City Zone in the final Sonic 2) Perhaps Sonic didn't transverse every Zone in the order of Past, Present and Future? (Slight evidence of this comes from the Sonic 2 Beta where Sonic Vs Eggman in the Emerald Hill Zone (Present))

It's a shame there isn't a more complete ROM of Sonic 2 Beta to test the whole Time Travel theory out. It seems Sega like to have lots of plot holes in their Sonic games which they never explain (like the evidence of the Spin Dash in Sonic 1, the never quiet fully explained Sonic Crackers/Espio's Chaotix, the missing level in Sonic CD and the Time Travel element of Sonic 2)

And just what is that "master Emerald" there for in Hidden Palace S2Beta? :?

2. Sz

Sz

Oldbie
    Around
    Any beta of Sonic 2 that contained any "time travel" data, if any actually existed, would be even less complete than the beta we have.

Also, this theory isn't exactly new. However, it's rather far-fetched, and much more likely that the past-future-whatever things were simply used as level ideas. One would logically assume that Emerald Hill and Hill Top would go together, Wood Zone and Metropolis, Chemical Plant and Genocide City, perhaps even Hidden Palace and Mystic Caves, though that one is a stretch.

There are a number of theories for what the Master Emerald was for.

3. Craig Scitt (sp) said something about it in a interview... plus...

Past Present Future

Hill Top Green Hill Neo Green Hill
    Wood ???? Metropolis
    ??? Chemical Plant Genocide City
    Hidden Palace Mystic Cave ????

4. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I've never have believed in that theory.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    An easier explanation would be "Sonic 2 wasn't going to use Time Travel".

At least the few zone artists we've talked to didn't design their stages with any time travel in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.