Sonic 2 Adventure Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Oct 17, 2012.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Tikal would likely be the best choice due to similarities in pallette (Knuckles' has oranges and greens) of course you'd still need to find a full sprite sheet (though I've found some semi complete S3 ones before which may hold most of S2's animations).

2. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Would you accept a Rouge recolor? It obviously won't be a 1:1 to SA2 Rouge but I'm currently working on a Rouge sprite.

if not, have Gamma as he should be able to use Knux' colors.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Gamma doesn't make any sense, he doesn't have a remotely similar moveset to Knuckles. I would rather not use Rouge. I was thinking of Tikal, and I suppose that would work if the oranges were altered a bit in 2P mode.

But that still leaves problems with interlaced mode, since I'm not sure if Knuckles or Tikal's sprites would work, and I want to add ARZ and WFZ to the lineup (yes I know I'll have to do clear water in ARZ).

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

HTZ is probably the nearest to working in 2P split screen, though still has some significant bugs. Alternatively you can make ARZ load without water in split screen (though it still has tons of graphic issues due to the tile layout). Knuckles' sprites could likely be edited to have the 1 by 2 tile layout, though it would likely be a meticulous process.

Concerning 2P will Sonic or Tails have race mode back too? I'm guessing they might both also need a new skin if so since Sonic now outdoes Tails easily speed wise (Metal Sonic or Cream?).

I'm curious to how far you will expand on this concept. Will Tails' mode be full on races with air boosters and everything? Will any other characters be involved, 1P or 2P?

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I'm not that interested in HTZ, since it's just blue EHZ with lava, and the entire reason I want ARZ is because it has water. I've been told there are ways to make it work, I might have to get help from IRC for that.

I think a 2P race mode might be possible.

As for Tails, I've been struggling with him for a while now. I want to do the expected racing against an AI Sonic (Eggman in WFZ), but, I have no idea what the best method is for controlling Sonic. SA1 itself has a path with a minor bit of AI to avoid obstacles, but I'm fairly certain that all the moving platforms in stages would make that kind of AI constantly fall off them. I could just use prerecorded ghosts, but not only would I have to record two runs for each stage (normal and fast), it wouldn't react believably if it encountered, say, a monitor that you already destroyed.

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think I'm among the few fans of HTZ, though making any new stage or upgrade to 2P VS would be revolutionary in the hacking front, it's an element so frequently neglected.

It's hard to see how Sonic's AI works in SA1, it looks like disappears and reappears in some finicky spots, with maybe a bit of cheating catch up at times (look at the radar). A ghost may not be a bad idea, most of the breakable stuff likely won't occupy gameplay when in a hurry, and I sense that the AI would have to look somewhat glitchy any way it's programmed (it's certainly not perfect in SA1) so a ghost may actually be the cleaner choice.

7. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Simply have Ghost Sonic not hit destroyable items would be my take on the matter... you're not gonna get something perfect so you'll need to figure to working around this. IMO that's the cleaner choice, to steal a phrase from the previous post.