don't click here

Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by The Prof, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Depending on where you are in the act, that's not necessarily due to a bug, because of how the starposts work. For Sonic 2 at least each has an internal number, like:

1 ---> 2 ---> 3 ---> 4

If you hit 3, 1 and 2 are automatically activated even if you haven't touched them. No idea if Sonic 1 uses a similar system.

2. The Prof

The Prof

The Island Professor Member
    Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Sonic 1's system is the same, but that is actually one that I numbered wrong. I'll fix that once I'm done working on some music that I think people may like. A full version of Thriller! It will be the first time it's ever been on a console in full, I think.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    <!--quoteo(post=352192:date=Sep 17 2009, 10:59 PM:name=The Prof)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Prof @ Sep 17 2009, 10:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352192">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sonic 1's system is the same, but that is actually one that I numbered wrong. I'll fix that once I'm done working on some music that I think people may like. A full version of Thriller! It will be the first time it's ever been on a console in full, I think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Holy shit awesome. I look forward to that =P

4. Master3k

Master3k

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A full version of Thriller!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had the same idea few days after MJ <strike>faked his dead</strike> died.

Then my soundcard fucked up. fffffffffff

But that would be awesome to see!

5. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    <a href="http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/9/15/2576126/Thriller.vgz" target="_blank">You know it's Thriller! Thriller night!</a> Comments, please. While I'm posting I may as well answer some questions.

<!--quoteo(post=352018:date=Sep 17 2009, 02:23 PM:name=Jdogg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jdogg @ Sep 17 2009, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352018">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just finished giving it a whirl. Seeing that your looking for bugs to fix, here's some I've came across.

. If you keep switching character choices at the title screen (B button btw to select between characters as Prof forgot to note it) you can end up with a purple mix-mash of sonic tiles, although the game does revert back to the original colours and sprite layouts after completing the first act.

.Spindashing at the start of acts can warp you to the end.

. There is a lava pit in Ancient Abby act 3 (if I can remember correctly) that although it plays the 'sonic hurt' animation, you do not lose any rings.

. The breakable blocks in Ancient Abby do not show the hit point sprites correctly as they are usually jumbled up.

Right, with that out of the road, I'm certainly enjoying your creativity to the new level layouts and mappings, and you've certainly got a creative flow going with editing the original foreground tiles in stages as well as your own created music files put in there. The only thing that made me ponder is why did you change the totem poles in GHZ into what I'm presuming are tree stumps? I'm also not really fond of the colour scheme you have for the sky in GHZ either, as I believe they should be a more lighter shade of blue. I also don't think that playing SFII Ken's stage music for Scrap Brain zone really fits well. Everything else otherwise seems to be coming along just fine. Keep rolling with it Prof.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure of how to fix the first two, particularly the jumbled tile one (which emulator are you using?), but the other two I can probably manage. I changed the totem poles as on that day I just felt like randomly doodling something small in SonED until I got something that I thought looked decent. As for the sky palette, well, I've actually been considering lightening it for a while now so I might as well do that before the next release. And Ken's theme will stay in SBZ as the distortion guitars and general feel of the song should suit what I've got lined up for the zone.
    <!--quoteo(post=352063:date=Sep 17 2009, 05:39 PM:name=Soselocke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soselocke @ Sep 17 2009, 05:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352063">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's looking good so far to me. Great layouts in Ancient Abbey! The only problem for me is that GHZ Act 2 seemed way too short. Otherwise, I love the Convoy no Nazo tunes – they really took me by surprise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm glad you like Ancient Abbey's layouts, they take bloody ages to get right without making them overly repetitive! I'll most likely extend the layouts once I've got them all done, so GHZ2 shouldn't be a problem.

<!--quoteo(post=352066:date=Sep 17 2009, 05:54 PM:name=Jimmy Hedgehog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimmy Hedgehog @ Sep 17 2009, 05:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352066">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looking pretty good to me. Here's one bug that stood out though:
    *Image*
    What's wrong you ask? I didn't touch the checkpoint.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've now fixed that one, thanks for reminding me.

6. Dr. Kylstein

Dr. Kylstein

<!--quoteo(post=352018:date=Sep 17 2009, 09:23 AM:name=Jdogg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jdogg @ Sep 17 2009, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352018">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->. If you keep switching character choices at the title screen (B button btw to select between characters as Prof forgot to note it) you can end up with a purple mix-mash of sonic tiles, although the game does revert back to the original colours and sprite layouts after completing the first act.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For me, Espio always starts normally, but then this happens. It seems that every time new patterns are loaded, eg. the shield and the end sign, Sonic's tiles come back, and when the next act starts, all of Sonic's data comes back. (GensGS)

7. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    That Thriller is awesome, I gotta admit! I'd just up the bass an octave, though.

8. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    If you would like me to import bg art from sonic 2/cd/3k to your green hill zone, I'd be happy too.

9. Jdogg

Jdogg

My god this name sucks. Member
    Beyond the door
    Sonic - Code Gray
    <!--quoteo(post=352275:date=Sep 18 2009, 02:48 AM:name=The Prof)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Prof @ Sep 18 2009, 02:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352275">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure of how to fix the first two, particularly the jumbled tile one (which emulator are you using?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm using Generator on mac, but as you've probably seen with Dr. kylestien's post, something similar does occur even with a different emulator.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Did you make the thriller song, or did you port it from moonwalker? I don't have the vgm plugin right now to check.

11. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    I made it. I didn't make the midi, but I edited it so that it would work on the Genesis. But it's whole song, not just the little dance segment from Moonwalker that I used to have.

12. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    The nightclub I work at has been running a 70's disco night the past 2 months, so I'm getting a bit sick of MJ =P
    Although, that does sound good, and a cool idea.

13. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    I found some time in what has recently been a very hectic schedule to make some new GHZ music. It's still Green Hills Zone, just a redone version. I think it's at about the right speed now for starters. Anyway, enough beating around the bush, have a download.

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?nzymzu24zdt" target="_blank">VGZ</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.