don't click here

Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by The Prof, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jdogg

Jdogg

My god this name sucks. Member
    Beyond the door
    Sonic - Code Gray
    Just tried the layout on GHZ3 and I approve it to be a nice change. Seems you got a nack for layout editing.

The new SLZ tiles look nice too, although not quite sure on the ground tiles....maybe you could try keeping the circles and lose the darker green outer tile colour?

2. The Prof

The Prof

The Island Professor Member
    Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    I wasn't too happy with the ground tiles myself so I've made three versions and decided to ask the public to decide. A, B or C? Please post which you think looks best.

A (The original)
    [​IMG]

B (Jdogg's idea)
    [​IMG]

C (An idea I had today)
    [​IMG]

All opinions will be counted and the most popular one will be used. Voting ends in two day's time, so get your opinion in quickly.

3. Jdogg

Jdogg

My god this name sucks. Member
    Beyond the door
    Sonic - Code Gray
    [​IMG]

When I was trying to describe how I thought you could improve the tiles I meant something more like this.

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I'd say 2.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Same, definitely 2

6. Master3k

Master3k

1 or 2.
    3 would do with a little more details.

7. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    How about using the inner circle in picture 1 instead of the inner square of picture 3? That might be cool. Also lol I get a credit for the rings fix...

8. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Well, voting is over and you have chosen B. Now for me to go and finish those tiles.

9. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Bump and double post (I need to stop doing that!) to say that the title screen has new music! Credits to Edan Koch for the midi. It's "The Fastest Thing Alive" AKA the SatAM theme tune. I think that if I had some better voices I could probably do a bit better, but I'm still fairly pleased with it.

VGM
    WAV (for those without a VGM player)

C&CC, please.

10. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    F'ing a. I wanted to do that too. That is Sofa King awesome. Good on you.

11. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    You know how I said I thought that I could improve it with better voices? Well I did!

VGM
    WAV

Same as ever, C&CC please.

EDIT: Oops, nearly forgot to credit "The Sonic Sanctuary" and "The SMPS Voice Center"

12. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Sorry to double post so quickly but I think this is worth it. I've had the day off school and decided to use some of that time to redo the boss theme AKA Sparkman's stage from Megaman 3.

VGM
    WAV

Comments on this or "Fastest Thing Alive" will be much appreciated.

13. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    I hate you, you know that? Now this song will be stuck in my head ALL DAY. Way to go there. =)

But yeah, definitely improved over the previous version.

As for the redone boss theme (sparkman's stage). Eh. It's a song. I don't like the intro/beginning of the theme. That repetitive noise (not sure how to describe it) that plays during the beginning feels a little too loud and distracting, feels like it should be in the background of the music, not the foreground. The rest of it seems pretty decent though.

14. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    OK, I've tweaked the volumes in the boss theme a little so that the strings (I assume that was the repetitive noise) are a little less audible and the lead is slightly more audible. I also boosted the bass a little. I'm glad you liked "Fastest Thing Alive", though

Sparkman V2 VGM
    Sparkman V2 WAV

15. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Sorry to double post but it's time for a new build! Grab it here!
    Change-log:

New MZ1 layout (C&CC much needed as the camera held me back quite a bit)
    New songs
    Minor bugfixing
    "Serene Summit" instead of "Green Hill"
    Possibly some things which I have forgotten about

C&CC please.

16. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    So I decided to give this hack a try. As I was playing it, I was trying to find a word to describe it accurately, but I couldn't quite think of one. Then it came to me—generic.

Really, that's it. It's not bad, mind you—the layouts are pretty solid, albeit kind of confusing at points, and clearly had thought put into them as all of the level pieces fit together nicely and such. At the same time, though, I found it hard to enjoy what I played as something really... well, new. Don't get me wrong—nothing you've done is bad in the slightest, and I enjoy the new music imports you've done; this hack just isn't really anything spectacular at this point, and I'm finding it hard to mark out any kind of potential I see in it.

That said, I accept that this is currently an early build and there is certainly more to come in the future. I encourage you to keep it up and work your hardest to try and make your hack as unique as possible; if you do, it'll be sure to shine among the best of the best.

Good luck! :)

17. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Adding to what tweaker said just above me, I'd have to say that that's a problem with a *lot* of Sonic hacks, where the opposite seems to be true of sega's games. It's also a problem with the community. You can only do so much in a hack on this limited hardware and there's a lot of people who lack the programming knowledge required to implement 'new,' or 'unique' features. Another problem that we've had since day 1 regarding hacks is that once one person puts a feature into their hack that they worked tremendously hard to put it, not only do they often not like other people using the idea, but it's already been done - barring a perhaps better implementation, there's not much to add. If you stray *too* far away from the Sonic formula, then you get people bitching at you that your hack 'isn't sonic enough' or 'isn't classic enough.' But if you don't do enough, people don't care about the hack at all. It's a strange balance.

18. Master3k

Master3k

I don't want to sound too prickish, but your hack can be better. It's not bad, it's just "generic" (as Tweaker said). One good point I founded, is the lack of SCAA art, something that seems like a must for most hacks. Also the layout for SSz is good IMO - I'd say very nice if it weren't for few "misplaced" objects (rings specially, also few Piranhas). My biggest problem with this, although, is the SSZ music - why do people keep putting Endless Mine music on GHZ? It doesn't fit at all.

Everything up there is IMO.

19. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Thanks for your critique, I'm sure I'll be able to use it to make the hack better.

Which parts were confusing? I tried to make the layouts fairly exploration-centric so that may have led to confusion at points.
    I can't say that I noticed these, but if you point some out or something then I'll fix them as fast as I can.
    I can't think of any other hacks with Endless Mine over GHZ, actually. I put it in because I felt it fit the whole "twilight" theme I was going for, but if it doesn't fit then I'll consider replacing it. I have actually been thinking about revamping GHZ's art and general "feel" for a while now so a music change may tie in with that.

Sorry if I sounded over defensive or arrogant there because that's not how it was meant to sound. Once again, thanks for your comments.

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Err, what? This isn't a problem at all. A large misconception is that you need to have all kinds of fancy ASM features and tons of programming knowledge to make a good hack—none of this is true. In fact, the case usually seems to be that the best hacks don't have a lot of changes in programming; conversely, hacks with tons of ASM changes tend to lack much else, leaving a bitter taste in the mouth of whoever decides to give them a taste. The novelty is marginal at best a lot of the time.

The way I see it, a brilliantly designed level or well-drawn art will go much further than any ASM people can manage to whip up. The Sonic engine already has everything it needs to make a fantastic game; that's why the original games were so fantastic, after all.

This isn't the problem at all. The problem is when someone actually makes an implementation of an idea and people subsequently make a bandwagon of it. Not only does it spoil the variety of gameplay in available hacks, but it's also made blatantly obvious that the people copied the ideas in question, as absolutely nobody had even tried to implement it before its initial execution. When it's made blatantly obvious is when it's a problem.

Case in point—several hacks I've seen started to rip off the Megamix control scheme—a combination of existing moves that me, Stealth, and several others on Team Megamix conceptualized on our own time—for their own hacks. Of course, it's one thing to have a homing attack or a jump dash available; after all, those are par for the course. But when you see the exact combination of the jump dash, the homing attack, the peelout, the after-images upon execution of said moves, the spinning in mid-air from Triple Trouble, and several other quirks in exact succession, you start to get... well, irritated.

In summary, there's nothing wrong with implementing a particular idea more than once; just don't be an unoriginal prick and rip off exact game concepts from other people. It's disrespectful, and it takes away from the unique, redeeming qualities your hack may have had without them.

I have never seen any complaints even marginally similar to what you've described here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.