don't click here

Sonic 1: WTF LAME

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by GerbilSoft, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Some of the most wonderful found poetry I've ever seen in a video game.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    From a technical standpoint this is quite an impressive achievement - kudos to you both on this, though I've been impressed with Sonic65's coding skill for quite some time simply from the video of Dustin Wyatt's Epic Adventure on Youtube.

Amazing hack, guys XD

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Revision 3 update. See the first post for changes.

4. NHY

NHY

Whens the Chaos Hedgie version coming?

Oh wait, that should be reserved for Moonwalker!

But its interesting to say the least, a bit random, really. You wouldn't even want to read the rants anyway! Just a simple just for laughs, hack and there is nothing wrong with that.

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I don't get it.

6. LSD

LSD

That gave me a laugh. Good job.

7. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I didn't know this Wetflame guy. Just heard he was someone not worth talking about. But I must say his comments are priceless and hilarious! It made me wonder how can someone spend so many time writting so many shit? He must be very proud now, he has an entire hack, just for himself!

The Wetflame Monitor never ceases to amuse me! :v:

Also, lol'd at Down Syndrome Sonic's apparel. This hack is made of so much win! :v:

Now technically speaking, very well done hack. Was the code for Wetflame's screen inserted to load when the game mode is set to special stage? I didn't bother to download the source to look through the code.

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    xD I love this hack! I purposely break open the first Wetflame monitor I see just to see the random text. xD

9. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    It's a pretty hilarious hack. Is the tssz logo at the beginning of the hack part of the joke too? Or is it an actual plug.

10. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Seriously now, guys. This shit wasn't funny when we actually had to put up with it at the time, so why is it funny now?

Oh! Oh, I get it: It's funny, see, because it's in a Sonic hack now, and when you hit the monitor at the beginning of the game, it displays text on the screen. This has never been done before. Greatest game ever. This is a hilarious hack. 10/10 won't actually play again

11. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Benny Hill music, obv.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yakety Sax makes everything funny. Dammit, I want it played at my funeral.

EDIT: And what I love about this is its ability to create drama just by copying several posts of his word-for-word. There are no direct personal attacks anywhere in the game really, just the quotes slightly taken out of context.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Somewhere on the 'net, Wetflame is laughing.

Good job!

14. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    > Wetflame
    > laughing

[​IMG]

Nah, but seriously; he actually hated the hack (this was to be expected anyway, but what I didn't expect was that he actually didn't say this in a tl;dr post, which I was hoping would happen if only for irony).

15. JDAdams

JDAdams

Well, as of revision 3, this can now be completed. Why I felt the need to is anyone's guess...

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Hey, completing Sonic 1 with no power-ups is actually a fair accomplishment. Certainly you can't get many lives that way, and no continues at all.

17. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Full video or it didn't happen. =P

Also, I for one can't wait until Youtube Let's Play-ers get hold of this.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Actually, you CAN get continues without hitting any of the powerups, just go into one of the special stages. Of course, that's not possible in this version. ;P

19. JDAdams

JDAdams

It didn't happen then, I'm not doing that again :P Seriously though, it's not that bad - I've already done a minimum-ring minimum-score game (since zero ring and zero score are both impossible) which was much more challenging. The minimum ring count I can get is 26 and minimum score 4000, by the way - but you can't get both at once due to a point in MZ2 where you have to either break multiple blocks in sequence (higher score) or stop spinning using the slope nearby (collecting a ring). Back to this though, there are really no areas which are especially tricky, besides that switch in LZ2.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I was considering revising the post to clarify, but felt it unnecessary considering. :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.