don't click here

Sonic 1 With Fries - Lock!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Afti, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    Please replace the chaos emerald art with french fries for ultimate win. :U

2. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    ...I'll think about it.

[​IMG]

New Sunset Town buildings.

3. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Sonic 1 With Fries is Perfect.

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I'm personally indifferent about palette hacks, I mean they never feel like new levels, and I think the original palettes are just fine since thats what the art was made for in the first place. It's just swapping some colours around...

But still keep hacking obviousy :argh: I hope to see some more original stuff in it soon!

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    All that really matters is new layouts. Palettes can be an easy way to make the level feel original without severe graphical overhauls, as long as it's complemented with a solid layout change.

That said, art changes are definitely preferred, if possible... but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with palette hacking, really.

6. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    If you're fresh into hacking, changing palettes is always a good place to start.

7. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
  8. Tongara

Tongara

Fuck YOU! Banned
    Birmingham, UK
    Zorbtech Productions
    Only problem I see is, you need a more speed friendly layout. And 54mb for a video? Lulwut...

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, that is a bit of an excessive size for what I assume is a rather small video. Have you considered uploading it on YouTube or something similar?

10. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I suppose I might as well...

Also... I think I'm going to tone down the acceleration. That way, you can still get the ridiculous speed, but you don't go flying into walls. I want it to be a challenge to get the speed and keep it up.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2zSxfxo4eBM

11. [​IMG][​IMG]

D:

Other than that, I like this hack.

12. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    The culture on this board really has improved! If someone posted work like this 2 years ago, it would have been a shitfest.

I too like the pallet changes as well, especially the sunset one.

13. Tongara

Tongara

Fuck YOU! Banned
    Birmingham, UK
    Zorbtech Productions
    Oh? How so? :P

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Basically, everyone was a bunch of anal retentive, overexpecting faggots (myself included), and anything that wasn't Megamix or S1EE was horrible and therefore the user who made it had to be banned, lest they risk the world coming to an end.

It kind of sucked. I think it's awesome that people are finally seeing that even the most simple edits made to a hack can be the most important. Namely, graphic and layout changes. If you have a badass palette or art set accompanied by fantastic level design, you will have a far more enjoyable hack than one with the original layouts, SCAA art, and thousands of new characters and features.

That said, I love hacks like these. Despite how advanced technical achievements have become, these can still shine among the rest with proper creativity and design. :thumbsup:

15. Tongara

Tongara

Fuck YOU! Banned
    Birmingham, UK
    Zorbtech Productions
    Oh, right. I remember those times!
    They went on for quite a while, 4 years at least. At one stage, pallet hacks were just not cutting it, and people DEMANDED new stuff. But now we can finaly see how something so simple can be amazing. Here's to the revolution, my friends.

16. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    [​IMG]

More Sunset Town.

Gah... I'll be out of trial posts before long...

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No you won't. :thumbsup:

Also, the shading is still kind of messed up on the building to the right in the background. You want that faded looking pink to be a darker shade of whatever sort of olive green you're using on the rest of that building; this way, the bricks will look proper, and your shading won't look awkward anymore. I could try rigging up an example if that helps.

18. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    Heh, check your user group.

19. Tongara

Tongara

Fuck YOU! Banned
    Birmingham, UK
    Zorbtech Productions
  20. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    Hmmm... the only suggestion I have is if Sunset Town can be Sunset City? It just feels like it rolls off the tongue better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.