don't click here

Sonic 1 With Fries - Lock!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Afti, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    I don't know whether these are known or not. Super Sonic keeps Sonic's pallette when underwater. Is that normal? Also, Septic Slide's music glitches sometimes, but it sounds awesome when it does. Also in the level, the screen flashes white when the music changes.

I like the lack of signposts at the end. Makes it look like he really is going off to the next part instead of distracting the player with a big sign.

EDIT: Also, forgot that the Ball Hog just exploded instead of just releasing bombs in RRZ.

2. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    General rules of shading are all well and good, but I much prefer the darker pallete you were using for sonic. By changing it back to the boring old conventional one, you've nailed every subsequent screenshot you've taken right between the eyes with a bland cannon. It may have been some unspoken pixel art taboo, but good practice or not, your old sonic pallete stood out against the endless parade of more conservatively coloured sprites adopted by everyone and their mothers. I'm not saying 'unusual = good, so lets have some violent green sprites' but in this case, it wasn't exactly a stretch of my imagination that Sonic was dark.

As for the rest of the criticism which is being pouring liberally over this hack, it looks like theres a bit of a mob mentality going on here. Thats not to detract from the issues which are being mentioned, the garish palletes for example, have been the subject of scrutiny since the first screenshots of ...with fries were posted. I'm not debating the content, but it does sort of seem like since Tweaker posted his thoughts, there has been an unspoken competition to paraphrase him as closely as possible. Incidentally, the winner is Ice Sonic, who went the whole nine yards with his imitation, from his 'I was so excited - now I'm disappointed' introduction, right down to his closing paragraph, where he finishes sticking the knife in and then throws Afti a bone, just to soften the blow.) I suspect its more to do with people reading posts first and then seeing what they expect to see upon playing, rather than a gleeful ride on a bandwagon. Either way, criticism, no matter how constructive, can be disheartening enough the first time round, without bombarding him with the same problems over and over.

My thoughts? The bugs (which I can say with confidence you have already come across, since I've played this for five minutes and you have been labouring over for considerably more), palletes and placeholder music notwithstanding, this is primarily a layout hack. The most important thing, in my opinion, is that you ensure that these layouts are polished and refined. At the moment, they do offer a fresh challenge to a seasoned sonic 1 player, but they vary in places from straightforward, to masochistically hard, and sometimes it is ambigious which direction you need to travel in order to progress. Concentrating on this is more likely to separate your hack from the pack far quicker than finetuning the pallete of a level which we've already seen a million times anyway. Looking pretty is fine, but if its not fun, people aren't going to play it for long.

3. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I intend to darken it again, but not so much; it was hard to SEE Sonic in one Zone.

Also, violent green/pink sprites as an unlockable, just for fun.

Where is it ambiguous what direction you're to go in, when only one is valid? The beginning of RRZ, for example- you can take a harder paththat leads through a prize room, or an easier one to the same point. And don't say SSZ; that's intentional, you're SUPPOSED to get lost and wind up halfway back through the level on the first playthrough. Labyrinth was a bunch of traps; this is an actual labyrinth.

Where is it that hard? I've been thinking that, if anything, I need to pump up the difficulty.

Also... Thanks for pointing out the Ball Hog- although it works fairly well like that; you have to dodge, not just roll down the slope, which was the intention.

Originally, those were saws. Those made the level ridiculous in its difficulty, though, so I replaced them.

4. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    No new Sonic palette yet, but...

[​IMG]
    Since SCAA is back, I replaced the springs. But, more importantly...

[​IMG]
    The new SSZ background. Yes, the waterfall works.

5. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    Under-water waterfall?

You broke physics. I hope you're happy.

6. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Variable water levels mean that it's a requirement; I have to have the same BG in abovewater and underwater areas.

Also- Megamix did it. *ducks*

7. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    So, uncompressed 256x256 chunks mean that I now have a 4MB ROM size, and I'm using about 2.05 of that.

I have lots of space to use. So, would anyone be interested in seeing another two or three Zones? I enjoy level design, and the level-adding guide is easy as hell to use; there's no difficulty barrier. This means that I would have 10-11 Zones total, or 30-33 levels. The downside is that it'd be longer between releases.

I'm probably going to do it; I just wanted to see if anyone was opposed to the idea.

8. A 4MB S1 rom? Doesn't matter if it's a hack but @_@ come on <.<.

9. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    PCM title screen music and uncompressed 256x256 blocks take a lot of space.

10. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    PCM audio by itself is GIGANTIC.

I doubt that the uncompressed chunks REALLY have much to do with it >_>

11. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    No, but they pushed me out of a really full 2MB ROM into a virtually empty 4MB one.

12. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    According to you, though, the uncompressed chunks only take up 0.05 of a MB...

Wait, why are we blabbing on about this? Back to the original question; more zones in a hack would rock, in my opinion. More gameplay is almost always good, unless it's boring gameplay that's cliqued.

13. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    That was hyperbole to illustrate the amount of free space I had.

Anyway, I'll be adding the Zones, then.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You don't *need* to pad your rom, you know. You can just disable the padder in the batch file and live with a 2.5 megabytes ROM. Most emulators will play it anyway, and if someone wants to play it on real hardware, he can spend 30 seconds of his time padding it by himself.

15. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I intend to play it on real hardware myself; I'm going to buy a flash cart soon.

So, I like to have it padded. First and foremost, I am making the hack I want to play, and that hack is playable on real hardware.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Honestly, I'd leave it as padded and distribute the game in a ZIP. You can decompress it if needed to burn out, and most modern emulators support de-zipping.

17. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I was going to use either RAR or 7z, but that was the idea.

18. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    To explain the lack of updates...

My laptop is basically toast; it can't run for more than 10 minutes at a time reliably.

So, until I'm able to acquire a new PC, this hack is on indefinite delay.

It sucks, but what else can I do?

19. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Send the disassembly to a team member so he could work on something for you? If he is an artist, let him do the art and if he is a musician, let him do the music.

20. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I would, but the art is my job alone, and music can be done independently.

There is not an especially large team working here; there's me, Irixion, who's doing music, and LordOfSquad, who's (supposed to be) doing a few palettes due to my awful color coordination.

Good news is that I'll probably be able to get back to work by the end of April.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.