don't click here

Sonic 1 Time Travel

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by stormislandgal, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Time Travel? In MY Sonic 1? More likely than you think.

Stupid jokes aside, I set out about a week back to work some time travelling fun into Sonic 1. I had a basic system working in Sonic 2 before, but I couldn't get my initialization routine to work correctly, so I dropped that. A few weeks of sitting around thinking how to tackle such a task, which admittedly is quite easy, if you think about it on a technical level. So, about a week or two ago, I set out to retry the time travel idea, only this time, in Sonic 1. I'm not too big a fan of working with Sonic 2, cause the programming is very messy in my opinion. So many pointless branches and jumps, and so much unused crap... ugh. =P

So, I got started by basing a new object off the Lamppost, the time post object. See here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There we go, both the past and the future posts. The second shot was taken in the "future" of GHZ. Not that my plan isn't to just cram some crappy palettes into GHZ, add time travel and claim I'm god. Not at all. I have a new background idea set up for the first level, Emerald Valley:
    [​IMG]
    For my foreground, I plan to basically rework my GHZ rework, the one that showed up in past versions of STHDX.

Also, thanks to pu7o, I have AIZ act 1 music for the past, and a perfected ALZ port for the Good future music. Currently the present music is the same, and the bad future music is FBZ(subject to change). Also thanks to him, I've got the S3K drums in there, which sound a lot better than those annoying S1 ones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K80DPxQPL5c
    Here's a crappy video I made to show the system in action. I only go to the past in this, stupidly, and load the Marble Zone palette, again, stupidly. The video quality leaves a lot to be desired about halfway in, but fixes itself once the first lamppost has been hit.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Lamppost for time travel? It could work, but why not do it by gaining speed as in Sonic CD?

3. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Please no, I hated that aspect of the game where you had to go looking for a suitable area for timetravel because you only had one chance and couldn't screw up.

4. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Instead of the Speed bit you could also use the Teleportation stars from S2's Starpoll.

5. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    I am using a star poll stars like object, and that's what I'll keep with.

Hay guyz, you know how in Ristar's Planet Undertow, if you go a certain depth in the water, the palette changes? Well...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So yeah, it didn't take too long to program, getting the palettes took more time. And yeah, the palettes are a little dark, but they're not going to be staying anyways.
    [​IMG]
    Also, I fixed this little thing up. It always bugged me how Sonic just stood there as he fell down into SBZ3, so I fixed that.

And that's all she wrote this time.

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Like I said on Retro, it looks nice. Needs moar Ristar stuff. :P And I can help with graphic concept.

7. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    The HUD palette changes with the level itself? I'd think that if you keep the HUD bright it helps make the level seem darker in comparison.

8. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Yes, you should try to not change any of the HUD colors, as well for the character.
    This will certainly cause problems with some sprites too. I had about the same idea, and then, I keep some sprites using these colors bright, as references to progress in the darkness.

9. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    I was in a rush to change the palettes so I could show this off. The palettes are only temporary. Also...

[​IMG]
    So yeah, guys, I've made a mockup of what I want my Sega Screen and "Sonic Team Presents" screen to look like. I already know how I'll merge those two together, the background is what I'll be having problems with. Any extremely technically minded person willing to teach me how to do this?

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    The background should be easy enough to get in - what you'll want to do is snag the code from the level select screen that displays the background (which uses ShowVDPGraphics to process).

Basically, you have this code that's already in the Sega screen:
    Code (Text):
    1.         move.l  #$40000000,($C00004).l
    2.         lea (Nem_SegaLogo).l,a0; load Sega  logo patterns
    3.         bsr.w   NemDec
    4.         lea ($FF0000).l,a1
    5.         lea (Eni_SegaLogo).l,a0; load Sega  logo mappings
    6.         move.w  #0,d0
    7.         jsr EniDec
    8.         lea ($FF0000).l,a1
    9.         move.l  #$65100003,d0
    10.         moveq   #$17,d1
    11.         moveq   #7,d2
    12.         bsr.w   ShowVDPGraphics
    Which is the same method you'd use to load a new set of mappings fit to plane B. You'll likely have to edit the VDP instructions, but the rest remains the same - Enigma compressed tilemap, and Nemesis decompressed art to the VRAM address of your choice. For the background art, you could actually probably make a pattern load cue for it, then call that using LoadPLC or something... For the VDP instruction processed by d0, you'll probably want to use $50000001, since I believe that will fit to plane B (that's how the special stage backgrounds in Megamix do it, anyway). So you'd want something like...

Code (Text):
    1. LoadSegaBG:
    2.         move.b  #$xx,d0; load background art (you should put the PLC ID here)
    3.         jsr LoadPLC
    4.         lea ($FF0000).l,a1
    5.         lea (Eni_SegaBG).l,a0; load Sega background mappings
    6.         move.w  #0,d0
    7.         jsr EniDec
    8.         lea ($FF0000).l,a1
    9.         move.l  #$50000001,d0
    10.         moveq   #$27,d1
    11.         moveq   #$1B,d2
    12.         bsr.w   ShowVDPGraphics
    And that should do it. You can substitute the method of loading the art as you please, but that should cover the background.

11. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    redundant post. =P

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You know, it's very possible to just... work on it later. You don't have to dedicate all your time to it, just keep it as a nifty side-project. I'm tired of seeing 20 incomplete hacks coming from you every so often... just work on things as they suit you. It's not that difficult.

13. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Alright, you do have a point, this is a project I'd like to see finished, however, I already have 4 or 5 other projects that I'm currently thinking of continuing. I myself don't have the art skills or the patience to actually complete such a task, at least not to the way I would want it. But now that you said that, I'm kinda grey in this area if I should just keep it to myself for now and finish it years down the road or if I should really let someone else with more patience and artwork experience work on it... Although, I realize that most, if not all, of the people I would choose to continue this have projects of their own which are far better.

EDIT: bah, I'll keep working on this when I get the chance, etc.

14. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Are you planning on having the chaos emeralds or time stones in this game? or both? Super Sonic could be difficult to add, though.

With all of them, he could transform into TEMPORAL SONIC, of course, with the ability to use items in that same space in a different timeframe

But seriously, looking forward to this, good luck!

15. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    I'm feeling.... generous today. As with every birthday of mine, I find myself with a tradition of giving back to the community... whether or not they're deserving of it. :P I've finished enough work on this project to release a demo. There are things I still want to do for this project, so we'll see if I continue it anytime soon. Let's go with a list of changes...

Double Jump feature. More like an air dash, but you get the point
    Spindash
    Time Travel
    slightly edited object layouts to accommodate time travel
    new music, and a new drumset, thanks to puto
    only... only Green Hill zone works... I went a little crazy at reducing filesize and ended up disabling every other level. Whoops. :P

There aren't many interesting visual effects, just changed palettes. I couldn't get that awesome background in due to background deformation being a total bitch to work with. So, screens aren't exactly necessary. Just remember that GHZ past is green and has AIZ music, and GHZ future is purple and has ALZ music.

Download

NOTE: I am NOT trying to "rom roll" you or whatever, this is honest to god. :P

16. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    Here's what I seen while playing (Could be stating the obvious)

One Hit Spike Bug Death
    After time traveling, the letters OAVH appear
    Trying to hit a certain/all monitor(s) with the spindash won't work

There might be more but this is what I found for the time being . And since it's gonna be time traveling , you might want to take out the Past sign in the GHZ past and Future sign in the GHZ future

By the way, nice entrance in act 1.

17. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Just finish something before starting something else. I don't keep half-finished hacks anyway, unless they at least 'appear' finished somehow. =P

18. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    I managed to go so fast through the tubes in Green Hill Zone act 1 that I died... you go below the screen extent and that's it!

19. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    That's one of the bugs I'm contemplating on not fixing, cause I'll be changing level layouts, and I may not need to change it.

All of them have been fixed at this point with the exception of the spike bug.

20. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    Ah that's cool then. Someone might know how to get rid of that spike bug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.