don't click here

Sonic 1 - Text Code Generator

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Selbi, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Sonic 1 - Text Code Generator

I think I came to the point where I can say, it has enough progress to be shown on Retro.

However, the Sonic 1 - Text Code Generator is a tiny hacking utitlity, which converts normal letters and words into sprite mappings for Zone and Credits Title Cards. This is having several advantages, like you can save much time on creating this (in SonMapEd it's easy but takes long time). Also helpful is that every letter is commented, which makes it much easier to do minor edits.
    Another feature is the so called "Sonic Team Presents generator". This tool makes it much easier to create a screen for the Team name splash screen, because it's not very easy to find out the center position for Sprite mappings.
    The utitliy also supports Level Select text, though it's not very "good", which means, it converts the text you are typing in, but that's it. It's not saving it into a binary file or something like that.

However, here is the downloadlink: http://selbi.se.funpic.de/s1tcg/

And here is a picture of the Zone Title card screen:
    [​IMG]

Just one last note: This tool was made for general new members and not for experienced members, though anyone may use it.
    Please report any bugs and give suggestions.

Edit: Wiki page created.

2. Yuzu

Yuzu

I'm yet to use it yet, but I have to say that this will be a valuable tool for new hackers and pretty much anyone. I know I'll be using this, even if it's just to save time.

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I'm definitely going to use this utility, I always mess up with the positions of the letters on the title cards and the "Sonic Team Presents" screen, so thanks for creating a user friendly tool. ^^

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Neat! This is sure to save a fair portion of manual effort when it comes to text-based mappings edits.

Nice work! :)

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    This program qualifies for Retro's Programs section, imo.

6. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    I must agree with Qjimbo, and this is definitely a tool I while be using. Like, as soon as I've downloaded it. Nice one Selbi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.