Sonic 1 NEW STUFZ

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Sonic 65, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    I recently started working on my hack, Sonic 1: NEW STUFZ, again. S1NS had been ignored by me for sometime. I've restarted the hack, so I've only got a few screenshots to show.

[​IMG]

This is a new zone I'm making. It's basically my old Desert Zone, except it's going to be majorly improved in every way. The background is not fully finished.

[​IMG]

Instead of modifying the existing text, I decided to make a whole new logo. On the right side, notice that the credits aren't messed up (this is just showing that I added in a small ASM routine to use different patterns and mappings for the credits and the logo screen). This logo will probably be majorly modified over the course of the hack.

I plan on adding the following features to my hack:

- All zones completely redesigned
    - Multiple characters, each with a different set of levels*
    - An unlockable bonus zone**
    - Emeralds placed in the zone itself
    - Ported music (possibly some original music as well)
    - Redesigned title screen
    - Dynamic palette system
    - Many more features designed as I feel like putting them in.

* By each having a different set of levels, I mean each character having the same levels, but with different layouts and palettes.

** The bonus zone will have only one act, and will be entirely different for each character (not just layout and palette-wise, the entire level)

I expect to complete the hack by February 2008. More screens coming soon.

2. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I do like the looks of that level. Your new logo is a good idea, but maybe a bit more detail to add?

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    Am I wrong or I recently downloaded an old version in which there isn't the level layout for the final fight?
    I keep on falling down and die :(

4. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    I hope this one comes out a lot better than the last. I know you'll try harder this time.

5. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    Ooh that desert level looks awesome. I probably should work on a hack again.

6. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    New pictures:

[​IMG]

An updated logo.

[​IMG]

The S2B Hall of Fame is being reincarnated, this time as an actual level (instead of just running through =P). This is the foreground art. I've tried to make the art fit S2B well. I have no idea what the background will be like. =P

EDIT: IT'S S2B NOT SWS2B GAH

7. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    The logo looks good, but the "6" and the "5" looka a little weird and should be reshaped, maybe like this?
    [​IMG]

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You could just modify the C for the 6.

9. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
  10. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    I actually stole those squares from the Sonic 2 Beta Hidden Palace Zone =P

11. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    So I should check that then.

12. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
    Nice levels, I think that hidden palace & wing forteress (right?) blend good.

13. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Ahahaha, I remember now.
    And 2 lives nicely tucked below those blocks too. Well under one of those 'block bridges' anyway.​
    Super, maybe you should take a closer look on how they pixeled those and use a similar technique on your boxes.​

14. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    There isn't any Wing Fortress in there. I made everything in the pictures by hand except for the HPZ squares, which are from HPZ. =P

I think my new art is much better than the old Sonic 1: NEW STUFZ art. My old desert zone used only about 5 8x8 tiles for the foreground =P

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I only see 6 8x8 tiles in the new shot. :P

16. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
    Yay, no wing fortress... But it looks good, so it doesn't matter :)

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ugh, I love Wing Fortress Zone (In debug mode anyways :P)

18. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

I've made some actual slopes (if you've played the last version of S1NS, you probably noticed that all of the slopes in the levels were 45-degree slopes; I'm trying to avoid that this time around.).

I plan to make act 2 of this zone will be a desert oasis (either that, or an underground maze). I don't know what I'm going to do for Act 3 yet.

I'm also trying to program in character-specific abilities, specifically an Insta-Shield for Sonic and hovering for Metal Sonic. It's not working well, but I'll keep trying =P

Rika: I meant that there were only 5 used in the entire foreground of the old zone, background features (aka one cactus =P), slopes, and all. I haven't added background features to this level yet, and when I've finished the basic tiles of the level I'll go back and polish the second foreground layer up.

19. Rainer

Rainer

You really need to learn how to break up the monotony. The basic art for your levels are good, but they don't vary by much. Take a look at Sonic CD; for the most part, they did a great job keeping the levels fresh and innovating. That's because the developers didn't settle for monotony.

Click me for an example.

I plan to make my own tutorial on creating pixel art for platformers. That one specifically deals with RPGs unfortunately.

20. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Yup, monotony is a real fun killer.

If everything looks roughly the same, you get bored real quick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.