don't click here

Sonic 1 Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, dude. I don't know where this came from, but this was completely unnecessary. Coming from a guy who bitches about Retro being a bad environment to post in (by your words), you sure seem to not mind making it worse. Whatever—opinions of above post don't represent views of Team Clusterfuck, etc.

As for saxman's question, Puto is indeed right—Stealth is the one who programmed the homing attack. The general jist of the move in an unedited Sonic 1 involves running a search through the SST and searching for attackable objects, defined by certain collision properties. If a positive match is run, the closest target is calculated and its X/Y coordinates are subtracted from Sonic's X/Y coordinates, with the results being sent to CalcSine to get an angle value. From there, the angle value is applied to Sonic, and the relevant inertia—both X and Y—is applied to Sonic to shoot him towards the target enemy.

Course, that's just about as much as I understand. I'm sure there's more to it, but there you go. =P

In regards to OverClockD's question... it's been an on and off idea. We're making no guarantees, but anything can happen, really. ;)

Blue Streak, there isn't a current list of music for Megamix 3.0. If you wish, I could whip up a list, involving music slot, purpose, original composer, and game of origin. Would that be okay with you? :)

2. Tweaker, that would be fantastic! :-D

3. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I'd love to see a list like that as well! Ever since playing 3.0 I've been amazed by the music! I always wondered how it was made and how certain songs implemented the Sonic 3 drum sets. I'd like to make music myself using those methods, but I've been too lazy to look them up...if they have been available.

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Here's most of them, at least up to sound code 8C, special stage 2, listed by sound code:

Sunny Shores 1: Azure Lake BGM from Sonic 3
    Misty Maze 1: Industrial District from Columns III (all Columns songs are edited to use PCM drum sounds rather than FM)
    Dark Fortress 1: Moon / Mars ~ Sukarabe Fight BGM 3 from The Hybrid Front
    Starry Night 1: Chrome Gadget from Sonic 3
    City Outskirts 1: Another Part of Me from Moonwalker
    Metallic Base 1: (Okay, I haven't figured this one out yet)
    Sonic Invincibility: Sonic 3 Invincibility
    Sonic Extra Life: Adapted from the original
    Special Stage 1: Sky Sanctuary from Sonic 3
    Main Title: Adapted from the Sonic CD 510 build intro
    Ending Sequence: (original)
    Sunny Shores Boss: Sonic & Knuckles Mid-boss
    Final Fight: (Not sure of this one either right now)
    Sonic Level Clear: Sonic 3 level clear
    Sonic Game Over: Sonic 3 game over
    Continue: Gunstar Heroes game over
    Sonic Credits: Sonic 3 credits
    Drowning: (original)
    Emerald (original)
    Sunny Shores 2: Angel Island 2 from Sonic 3
    Misty Maze 2: Columns Dive from Sonic 3
    Dark Fortress 2: Volcano Valley 1 from Sonic 3D (Genesis)
    Starry Night 2: Smooth Criminal
    City Outskirts 2: Balloon Park from Sonic 3
    Metallic Base 2: Cosmic Carnage Unused Theme
    Sunny Shores 3: Sunset Hill from Sonic Advance 3
    Misty Maze 3: Planet Undertow [Leatow] 1 from Ristar
    Dark Fortress 3: Volcano Valley 2 from S3D (Gen)
    Starry Night 3: Twinkle Cart [Twinkle Park 1] from Sonic Adventure
    City Outskirts 3: Earth ~ Rebellion Fight BGM 1 from Hybrid Front
    Metallic Base 3: (not sure, sounds like Yuzo Koshiro, though)
    Starry Night Boss: Sonic 3 end-of-level boss
    City Outskirts Boss: Tactics Preparation from Hybrid Front
    Misty Maze Boss: Boss theme 1 from Sonic 3D (Gen), with some extra percussion
    Dark Fortress Boss: Sonic 2 Beta boss theme
    Shadow Credits: The End of the Battle -To Out World- from Gunstar Heroes
    Mighty Credits: Sonic 3D (Gen) credits
    Mighty Level Clear: Chaotix level clear (Reach the Goal)
    Shadow Level Clear: Gunstar Heroes stage clear
    Mighty Game Over: Chaotix death (Mechanical Dance)
    Shadow Game Over: (not sure)
    Mighty Invincibility: Chaotix invicibility (Surging Power) minus one FM channel to make room for the drums
    Shadow Invincibility: Sonic and Knuckles Invincibility (sped up)
    Speed Up!!: Speed shoe music from Sonic CD 510
    Mighty Extra Life: Sonic and Knuckles extra life
    Shadow Extra Life: Sonic 3 extra life
    Super Sonic: Sonic 2 Super Sonic
    The only difference with the original tunes is that they use the Sonic 3 drums, so I'm skipping listing them
    Sega Splash Screen: adapted from Sonic CD's Sega splash screen
    Sonic Retro screen: taken from Space Harrier's Main Theme
    Level Select: another unused theme from Cosmic Carnage
    Options: main menu from Virtua Racing Deluxe
    SGMC screen: Sonic 1 SMS level intro
    Super Shadow: Scene of Carnage from Columns III
    Super Mighty: In-Game BGM 2 (Chance) from Chou Kyuukai Miracle Nine
    Preferences: unused song from Chou Kyuukai Miracle Nine

5. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Sonic 3 (no lock-on) invincibility music, my favorite. Cool.
    Twinkle park in there too. :colbert:

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's not a complete list. It might be in there, but I forget what the song sounds like, so I might have it mixed up with other stuff.

7. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    テキサス、アメリカ
    Hybrid Souls Card Game
    Bawwwww. I was looking for the Boss Arena one. I even read the list twice. The only reason why I liked the build was for the sound test. I even said in #sonic4project that I <3'd Tweaker for the Music, assuming he was the one who did the music, which is only probably partly right.

Do want songs for Boss Arena and Fight Fight plox. <33?

8. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Mettalic Base Zone Act 3 is from Dyna Brothers 2, and the song is called "Get Crazy - More Rave". I have to thank Tweaker because he told me what it was on Youtube :P

9. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    I'm pretty sure the Boss Arena theme is Sonic Advance 3's Chaos Angel map theme.

10. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Which theme? If I recall, there is more than one boss theme in Megamix 3.0.

Final Fight is the Final Boss theme for Sonic 3 & Knuckles, not counting The Doomsday Zone.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Discussing WIP material on a build I took down makes you look really cool, guys.

12. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    I actually had no idea they were talking about that build. O.O Which is why I had no idea what they were talking about when they said "Extended sound test". I had never even downloaded the WIP, so don't start picking on me. =P

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Sorry, hadn't even noticed that you changed that much music. Thought everything in the old build was the same in the new one music-wise. I deleted the 3.0 build after playing it through.

14. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Yeah didn't bother with dl it either. There's no point since many things were changed, added and fixed since then anyway...
    We don't know how Megamix looks or plays today.
    It's like commenting on a picture of someone when he was 20 but now is 40 and we don't know how he looks like today. Lol stupid comparison. :p

15. M0437

M0437

Why would you delete the 3.0 build? It is still the latest stable or final release.

16. Ok Seriously, Megamix will be perfect once, and if it's released. I personally think it's l33t despite the leak =P

17. Ok, here I am, a trial-member, going to use a trial post (And I know I'm just throwing a trial-post away, but: Ah fuck it), and maybe even risk not getting a membership after my 20 trialposts (=P):

Damn. I saw almost everything what happened here, except the beginning, and maybe it's better I missed that.

Tweaker, I'm really sorry for you what happened last 3(???) days. I know it isn't making anything good, but I hope you don't get under it. Keep on going. Maybe not with the hack or something, but just do something.

And those people that are complaining about Tweaker's decision: Fuck you, it's him decision allright? Who were still talking about the build, even when Tweaker CLEARLY said not to ask, talk or do whatever about it. ... Yeah.

So, I'm done here, I'm waving my chance to be full member here goodbye =P

PS: And what if Tweaker don't release the new Megamix? So what, we still have v3.0, and that one isn't bad either. I even remember a LOT of smiles here when it was released.....

EDIT: Sorry, was very drunk last night, sorry for posting.

18. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You know, this discussion ended a while ago.

19. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Well, maybe you shouldn't talk about it, then.

And if you think/know you're waving a chance to become full member, then maybe you shouldn't have posted.

So, I guess it wasn't obvious to you that the discussion ended? :\

20. It seems that the discussion trended towards the music in the leaked build....which was intentionally not the question I asked. MuteKi, thank you for your reasonably complete list. I look forward to Tweaker's full listing with the details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.