don't click here

Sonic 1 Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    Are ya gonna wait 'til the hacking contest to release the next build of the game?

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, all Boss music slots are filled. Now I have a shitload of free music slots, so I'm gonna find ways to make use of the seperate characters with seperate music. I already ported the sad ending from Gunstar Heroes for Shadow's credits theme (lol emo) and I may do Tribute from Chaotix or something for Mighty.

More details as they come, I suppose. Suggestions are also nice, though I may not be able to see them for a good while. :P

3. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    Have you decided which of my songs to use yet? As a matter of fact, contact me on MSN, I have more emo shadow stuff than you can shake a stick at. Gimme a hit later tonight.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I wish I could; I have limited internet access right now. File transfer is a big no-no. =(

Maybe eventually though. I really think your stuff could fit well in my hack.

5. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I can help write stuff if you need it, though if I remember rightly I don't think you were too keen on my GHZ track that I did :P

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Progress is going great. A possible preliminary release isn't too low of a possibility in the near future... I've just gotta finish my soundtrack plans and work out a few features... Once done, I can release a public beta of the current progress. Seeing as Stephen is busy and has only enough time to work on his own hack at the moment, Azure Lake will quite possibly be unavailiable in this public release cantidate. However, in the official first release of this revamped version, rest assured the level should be done and implemented.

Right now I found a new game called The Hybrid Front that uses the Sonic engine. Much to my delight and suprise, this game also happens to have its music composed by Naofumi Hataya and Junko Shiratsu -- composers of the Sonic CD Japanese tracks and the Chaotix soundtrack, respectively. As a result, you can expect some sexier music in my hack this release. :rolleyes:

7. PaintGamma

PaintGamma

SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!! Member
    Between the X and Z keys.
    Pipe Haus v.2.0
    You sir, just made me very very excited for this hack even more.

Build plz =D

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can't wait for a demo of this hack to come out. Out of all the Sonic 1 hacks I've seen, this one seems like it will be the most impressive of the bunch. I can't wait to see the final result though.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It also seems to have a Sonic reference in the intro, heheh.

Attached Files:

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    By the way, some of the instruments used in that game sound a lot like the Golden Axe 2 soundtrack, perhaps it uses the same engine as well?

How about Shadow Dancer or Shinobi 3? Have you checked their music engines already?

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, Golden Axe 2 uses it. I just haven't looked into it deep yet.

12. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Tweaker, the version of the ROM you recently sent me to show which music you had is fucking hawt! I would like to ask you about something though, when you're next on MSN.

13. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    I must say, after playing this hack, Sonic 1 normal will never seem as awesome again.

14. Shade

Shade

I have to say, those special moves that were programmed into this hack really work well; it took me by suprise (I undertsand that this is the work of Stealth, correct?). Great musical edits and porting, as always (With credit to Sonic 65 for the Sonic 3D Blast ports, if I recall correctly?). I particularly dug those moonwalker ports (You know me) :rolleyes: Great stuff having bosses each have their individual music as well. Now, when we get some new level layouts in there...

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yep, that's correct. I didn't tell anyone else about those yet, though. =P

I actually ended up redoing all the ports myself. I can't associate too many ties... But I still appreciate his work and commend him for what he's done. :)

Get down!

I always felt that every boss having the same music really killed the individual feel of each boss. They each need thier own tune to say, "Hey bitch, this is MY style. Deal with it or I'll punch you in the nads!" Plus I had a shitload of free music slots to fill. =P

That's the one thing I suck at... I have my original GHZ1 layout in there, if it counts for anything. If anyone good at layouts wants to volunteer though, I'd be overjoyed if they were willing to help out.

16. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    I'll take a stab at some layouts. Sonic 1 may be limited in that regard, but I believe I can make some things happen. Not like I can do layouts for my hack until my editor is done anyway.

17. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    No point doing new layouts, coz once the new art is done all the old tiles will be redundant. I'll just make the layouts as I do the art. It's quicker and easier.

18. Shade

Shade

Oops, my bad. Well, I guess I was right in being vague. I shall say no more.

Oooh, better yet. As if this hack didn't already kick all kinds of ass.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    w00 updates!

I finally got in all the Sonic 2 DAC samples, thanks to jman's new driver. Now also seperate music for end level acts.

I've also edited the end level title card; Since the default set doesn't support a W and I'm too lazy to add it, the new text is "Player got through" instead of "xx has passed." This is a lot more general, and should solve my problem of identity crisis at the end of a level. =P

My next task is to fill in the rest of my alt music selections (Mighty credits and Shadow end level -- I may also consider seperate invincibility tunes), as well as fill in the current visual bugs and anomolies. After that, a release is on the horizon! Stay tuned for future updates until then -- with my wireless card gone again, I'll have some free time. :P

Suggestions are also appreciated for music selections. I'm stuck here. =P

20. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Not sure if it would be possible, but maybe SegaSonic Arcade music? It had a nice sound to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.