don't click here

Sonic 1 Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    Though I would say that the only way to stop people from stealing "ideas" (not code) is to simply not release anything, not even screenshots or information.

2. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    But if no hacks are released, what's the point of hacking?

Also, either way some ideas would be copied inadvertantly. Methinks that's the case with Sonic 1 Megamix and StephenUK.

3. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    If you want to keep an original idea the best way is to not speak about it until you release a public beta of your hack.

4. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    Exactly- that was the point of my post, that there's really no way to stop someone from saying "that's a good idea, I'm going to try to put that in my hack".

5. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I know I can't stop people, but it is a nice gesture to mention it to the person who originally did it so they know what's going on. That's what I did with Ultima and the emeralds and he said it was fine. I wouldn't have had a problem with it at all if he had mentioned it to me. I'm actually supposed to be working on this hack with Tweaker, but I haven't even been told about anything that's actually in it. The only time I hear a mention of it is when he's asking me for art, or if he's ported a bit of music. Besides that, I don't get told anything.

6. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Yeah, that'd explain your lack of releasing any hacks. If you don't release any hacks, no one can steal them, right? ...

7. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    But me and Fiz did that idea first. Ultima asked me if he could use the idea. Do you see the problem here?

8. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Actually, Sega had the idea first - in the GG/SMS versions of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2.

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Actually Sega had the Sonic idea first.

10. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    The thing is though, I've never played any of your hacks, and never even knew the emeralds hack existed, so as far as I knew, Ultima was the first to do it (besides Sonic Team)

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, my old pallettes are restored from my own hack, and I'm working on adding PLCs for Mighty and Shadow (I just need to find the routine that loads the first pattern load cue, with life counter and such). Keep looking to stay updated.

I also added the Level Select music from Sonic 2, so I suppose the experience of a ported level select will be more authentic now. =P

12. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...indpost&p=38248

You haven't been here that long I can tell. This is a hack I made before disassemblies were existing. Before your time. Read the date if you need.

First of all it was my idea to put new objects into Sonic 1. And I was first putting emeralds in levels. That's proof for you!

Does it matter now? Yea, because people may use your ideas in 2 years, and your name will not even show up. If you want to know the future, then look onto the past.

13. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    That's not an idea.

No.

And Shadow and Mighty are just Sonic in wigs.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Okay, I got the seperate icons working, and I also put in seperate monitors. I plan on making each monitor unique to each character in the future as my skill improves.

Pics to come when I can get them up.

15. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

In that case, what is Amy? :blink:

16. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    Sonic in a wig with tits.

17. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA