don't click here

Sonic 1 GBA

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shakidna, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    No. Sonic X-treme was an original game that was never released. This game had a superior release fifteen years ago.

2. cheese007

cheese007

Pending Member
    People were complaining about this game's PRICE before we even saw it. How do you know Xtreme sucks? Have you played it? Or do you just use those uber-1337-see-into-the-future-where-the-game-is-dumped-powers?

3. Vangar

Vangar

Its just better because most sonic games of that era were good.

I played GBA sonic, and now I'm thinking this could be the last year for Sonic.

4. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Most of the buzz from game magazines at that time was that it wasn't good, well, from EGM anyway. It would have owned though if they were allowed to use the Nights engine.

5. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    It won't be, because people keep buying them. Too many new, retarded fans who love Emo-Shadow and HeyLookGuysItsAnotherBottomlessPit games.

That and old-time Sonic fans who hope that, one day, maybe they'll improve.

6. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Yeah, some day, some day, I'm sure it'll improve... at least, once it's changed hands enough.

*Shakes head sadly*

7. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    YOU ROCK! I bet if Sonic wasn't in NextGEn people wouldn't have brought it as much, or they wouldn't say it's any good. Im so sick of Shadow... I wish he had stayed dead.

8. chaosruins

chaosruins

After playing this GBA version, my opinion is that this port is quite horrible.

The music is quite horrible, although that's all they could do with the GBA's sound specs.

The graphics and sprites for the most part are like the real thing, but there's a strange look to it with Sonic being so huge in the game, he's like... MASSIVE in this version.

From what I played, physics were really horrible, but perhaps that was just VisualBoyAdvance, then again maybe this is all the GBA can do.

Boooo, thumbs down, poor version that I would personally avoid.

9. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    It's not a "port". How is that not obvious?

I see that this is the ONLY GBA game you've ever played. Not to mention that suggesting that an emulator or the hardware itself can cause a game to have "bad physics" doesn't even make any sense

10. chaosruins

chaosruins

Hmm right, so it's not a port? So what is it then? Running in emulation on a GBA? I somehow feel that is doubtful. If it's not either, please explain to me what in the hell it is, I must be missing something here.

I've played a few other GBA games also, not many - Just the first few Sonic advances. As I said in my previous post, the physics were horrible from what I played, and I also suggested that perhaps it was from the VBA emulator.

Oh, so maybe this version of the game on GBA must have poor physics compared to the original because it is simply running on the GBA or what? Yes, I know the GBA's specs aren't paticularly great, and I suppose this game had to suffer due to it, but maybe it was just a bad job by the developers - How am I supposed to know 100% exactly?

So now tell me, what is YOUR problem, and what makes you feel the need to quote my post like that and reply in such a horrible manner?

11. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

The game was rewritten from scratch. Apparently they've lost the sources long time ago.

12. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Haha, you haven't seen me be "horrible". I just want there to be some kind of understanding, because things that make that little sense to me bother the crap out of me

A "port" is in one way or another derived from the original source. We've at least heard that Sega doesn't have the original sources for the Genesis Sonic games anymore, and if they did, and they gave it to the flunkies they hired to pull this piece of crap out of their asses, it would have come out alot better. No, this is a remake/rewrite. They built it themselves from scratch, based on how they THOUGHT Sonic worked, and did a very poor job of it. It has nothing to do with the hardware OR the emulator you're running, and I still don't know why you think it can. It's actually based on Sonic Mobile, which I've seen some of the code for, and it looks almost nothing like the real thing

So, if you HAVE played Sonic Advance, how can you think that either the GBA or VisualBoyAdvance are somehow only capable of handling this crap? Hardware doesn't impose any restrictions on game logic and doesn't change your coding style, and it also doesn't make you do a poor job of sequencing midis, nor does it force you to make poor decisions on which instrument samples to use. The Sonic Advance series was fast, had much better physics, and had better sound and music. Hell, there were even much better versions of several of the Sonic 1 songs in Sonic Advance 1. They were sequenced well and used a much better selection of instrument samples

13. chaosruins

chaosruins

All I said in my original post was that this game seemed very horrible... Basically meaning very horrible compared to the orginal, and I was just thinking surely they could have done a better job with the gameplay, making it feel a lot more like the original, quite frankly it feels horrible, and yes, The Sonic Advances feel a lot better than this version of STH1 Genesis.

I was just expressing my view on it, then we get the expert quoting me as if I am talking some kind of shit. Whatever.

So, it was re written from scratch then, well quite frankly I never researched into this because I have no interest in the GBA, or this version ,I just thought I'd test out to see if they actually did an okay job or not.

14. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Uh, no. A word doesn't somehow have the potential to mean something, it either does or doesn't. If you start going around using the word "port" in some manner other than how other people understand it, they're not going to read your mind and automatically know what your altered definition is. This is what the word "remake" is for. "Port" implies that it's heavily based on the original source material, and that's exactly what people DON'T need to be thinking about this crap

15. chaosruins

chaosruins

Thanks for saving that post btw.

Okay, so we are talking strictly 100% definitive meaning are we, fine, well then I agree, port of a game such as this could be used in general terms though, but as this is the S2BETA forums and all I supposed we have to live 100% to definitive meanings, fine.

16. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    zomg I'm double-posting

Way to edit in something inflamatory, you should have quit while you were ahead
    Compared to you, you're damned right I'm a fucking expert. I don't know why you take such grave offense to being quoted, which is how I usually respond to things, since it's quite possible that other people can post while I'm still typing out a response, and things can get mixed up when the posts start to get disorderly. Maybe you have a problem with something you said? If that's the case, you shouldn't have said it to begin with

The rest of this new-version post is just irrelevant filler.. I think you already made it clear that you think that this version of the game is horrible, and it was implied that you played it so you could find out if it was any good

Actually, here on Marklar, we refer to all people, places and things as "Marklar"

17. chaosruins

chaosruins

The reason I edited because when I made that post I didn't see your reply, I then saw it so thought I'd edit it after reading your post. So that's why I said thanks for saving it.

18. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I may not be an expert, chaosruins, but I do believe that there's no point in being disrespectful when being corrected; well, unless it's a bad correction, but Stealth's taken apart enough games that I believe he only wished to give you the true definition of the words you used.

That said, it is interesting that they didn't even have the source when they began this game. Seems... they didn't even have the sort of expertise people here do and failed to reverse-engineer one of their own games to get the highly useful source?

'Course, they could have just denied to give the original source to the jokers who coded the Sonic 1 GBA abomination.

19. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    You have a good point Marklar. Maybe after Marklar we can go out to Marklar and get us a few Marklars?</Stupid Post>

20. chaosruins

chaosruins

Excellent!

It felt like an insult to me at first though, all cause I used the word port in the original post... so Angry...... Now Stealth, I am aware you are the guy that made some of those hacks, fair enough - you are a highly respected member of the community, fair enough - I also like your hacks but it just seemed like you were really trying to undermine me with that first post quote and it got to me.

Maybe I took it too seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.