don't click here

Sonic 1 Character Pak

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LuigiXHero, May 27, 2021.

1. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    So never bothered making a thread for this anywhere but decided to since i'm bored and want to have a place to discuss it.
    This is Sonic 1 Character Pak my last Sonic hack. It's 5 playable characters in Sonic 1 with selectable soundtracks to go with them.

Edit July 14th, 2021: Now 8 playable characters.

You can find out all about it and it's download here: https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_The_Hedgehog:_Character_Pak

So why the forum post? Well i'm working on a big update that is adding 3 (Edit: was 1) more character and soundtrack and alternate skins for most of the existing ones. Plus a bunch of fixes and the like.

I don't want to spoil who the new character is atm so i'll show a skin:
    [​IMG]
    Soonik for the Meme soundtrack: Think Sonic Fun & Easy Adventure but actually a full sheet.

I guess i'll leave off with a hint: The new character is from a long running series that's been a thing since 1996 and recently got a new game. If the game is guessed i'll show the soundtrack art and if the character is i'll show them early with the character select screen art and talk about what they can do.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  2. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Going to guess Crash Bandicoot

3. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    No sorry, though I have thought about it. Also gonna add more hints per guess: it's mainly a computer series of games. But does have a few console games lately.

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    In before it's Lara Croft from Tomb Raider.

*runs*

5. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    It's actually something I wanted to do, classic Tomb Raider gameplay on a classic Sonic engine, and the basic Mega Drive gamepad covers its needs quite well (you still need all the buttons, though).

Considering it's mostly PC, however, I don't know enough too say this loud, but maybe we end up having some orc from Warcraft running through Green Hill.

6. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    It's not Lara croft. Though that would be fun to make.

I'll do two hints since two replies:
    * The character is a woman.
    * She started as a boss before becoming playable in later games.

7. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    So an update since they're getting finished:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Luigi's alternate costume is ofc Mario and Modern Sonic's is Shadow.
    I can't spoil the Link one since that'd also spoil who the new character is due to being from the same series.

8. Poison?

9. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Gonna toss out a big guess that it's either Marisa Kirisame or Sakuya Izayoi.

10. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    It's not poison but...
    [​IMG]
    It is indeed Sakuya!
    and with that the double whammy too with:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Marisa being an alt for Link (this is due to the sprites I commissioned from VAdaPEGA were for my Zelda 2 hack with Marisa in it and figured i'd include them in this too.) Gonna reshade them to match link's eventually.

So with this being guessed early the following footage is unfinished and still uses sonic's art and the soundtrack just got started so any songs you hear are super wip:

Sakuya Izayoi:
    (Styled after Touhou Luna Nights)
    A - Snail time (Devon helped a lot thanks Devon!)
    B - Throw Daggers (not in yet)
    Up + B - Throw Daggers up (not in yet)
    C - Jump

In air:
    C - Double Jump
    Hold C - Glide

Duck:
    C - Slide Kick (not in yet)

Progress been a bit slower then I like due to work and the hack is also going through some engine stuff to make it better. S3K object manager to fit more objects in.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  11. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Wait, they're from Touhou? I was quite sure that series started before 1996. I know almost nothing about that series, though; I just happen to like Unlucky Morpheus who did arrangements of a lot of those games' music.

12. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    The first game was shown off in 1996 but didn't go full public until 1997. So could've been a bit clearer about that. I recommend checking Luna Nights if you aren't into bullet hell games and want to play a metroidvania game, think it's still on xbox game pass if you have that.

13. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    New update:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She basically almost done:

Common:
    A - Snail time [Slows down time for 3 seconds for everything except for Sakuya] (Devon helped a lot thanks Devon!)
    B - Throw knifes in facing direction
    Up + B - Throw knifes up

On Ground:
    C - Jump

In air:
    Down + B - Throw knifes down angled
    C - Double Jump
    Hold C - Glide

Duck:
    C - Slide Kick

I just need to do is finish her sprites and those of her knifes.

The meter in the left is to limit how many knifes she can throw at once. It recharges with rings, killing badniks and monitors as well as recharge a bit every second. You can throw about 5 knifes on a full charge.

I still got lots to do with non-sakuya related things. Namely the touhou soundtrack option and alternate skins sprites being put in, i'm also waiting on new Modern Sonic sprites.
    Plus I got something special brewing...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  14. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    Sakuya is done! With that here's a new video preview:

Just gonna finish the OST and some other fun stuff.

Also Tails and Knuckles are in, Tails can fly and knuckles can glide, if they can do more is a secret for now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Knuckle's alt is Rouge the bat. But have no clue what to do for tails. If anyone got ideas let me know. Was gonna be boring and make a brown tails alt if I couldn't find anything.

Also the last big thing... is another new character to round out the playable roster to 8 characters:

Going to play another round of the character guessing game.

The first hint is that it's another female character, but this time she's currently from a Sega series.

15. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo

Be a boss-man and come to my big and tall man shop Member
    Female characters in a SEGA franchise, eh? Here are my guesses:
    • Arle, Amitie, Ringo or any female character from the Puyo Puyo games
    • Hatsune Miku seeming as she got games published by SEGA
    • Amy, Rouge, Blaze or Tikal from the Sonic franchise
    • Ulala from Space Channel 5
    • Alis Landale from Phantasy Star
    • MeeMee or YanYan from Super Monkey Ball
    • NiGHTS from Nights into Dreams
    • Bayonetta from well... Bayonetta
    These are the only female characters I know that are from a SEGA franchise. (my knowledge is still a bit rusty regarding SEGA games =P)

16. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    Not home to post a picture but you actually got it and it even was the first name you said.

It's Arle from puyo puyo. She's still early days so no more info for now.

17. Cream? She has the same flying ability.

18. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

Modern Amy please!

19. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I love the version of Nadja Arle from Madou Monogatari, I hope you're using that one as a reference, I never really liked her Puyo Puyo appearance.

Also yeah, Cream would be a good alternative for Tails.

20. Jeffery Mewtamer

Jeffery Mewtamer

Blind Bookworm Member
    Third Cream as Tails Alt... and if you think Cream wouldn't be complete without Cheese as a projectile, you could always adapt Tails' megabuster from Sonic Battle to keep moveset symmetry.