don't click here

Sonic 1 Brother Trouble

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MarkeyJester, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    You're one person. One person is not a team =P
    Also, anyone who knows me knows I don't hack (it's been written about in books, and my only real frame of reference has always been the number of people who claim to have "real life" blahblah that forces them to update once a month (at best) to show off a new title screen or some new sprite/animation before all of a sudden cancelling the entire project after six months of very little work. So if you don't mind, I'll continue to be amazed that you actually sat down and got something done in comparatively little time :psyduck:

2. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    That. :lickrom:

*shot*

Anyway, did I already say that hack is awesome? If I did, are you going to add a save feature?

3. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I like the fact that somebody chose to put Manic in a hack after Aquaslash dropped Manic from Sonia and Silver in the beginning. (Can't wait till he's done)

I can't wait to give this a shot, as having alternate characters in a hack is more important to me than perfect flowing new levels. It makes it especially interesting when these new characters have new moves or abilities. Having Sonic and or Tails as the only characters in most hacks gets boring after a while because you already know what they can do, unless the level design is just excellent.

EDIT: I'm quite impressed with the graphics, the menu changes, and new audio tracks as well. You're doing great and it looks awesome.

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Is it me or most asm hacks crash in real hardware somewhere? I guess that's what happens when emulators aren't accurate...

You've licked the wrong ROM :psyduck:

By the way, I've seen a sudden increase of the usage of old memes lately.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I just wanted to say again...WOW! This is really something. I've played through the demo at least five times now, I can't remember the last time I did this with any hack. (Maybe quu's hack) All the art in this seems so much like something you would see in a commercial Genesis game back in the mid 90s, I love it. can't wait till the next demo.

6. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Sik just spilled the-*shot*

Back on topic, this hack looks very, very promising. Never got a chance to really get far, but the layouts are awesome(other than some previously mentioned questionable overusage of badniks), the ASM is awesome, especially for one person in just 4 months. Hell, I haven't been able to do this kind of stuff since I started my current hack 6 months ago. :psyduck:

7. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Actually my girlfriend did >_>'

8. Spunodi

Spunodi

Sorry, sorry if I call this out in error.

But this seems to have all the hallmarks of an april fools.

The absolute stress to say you are not drx.

Tweaker giving so much praise (lol).

The date/time posted.

The similarities to code drx would have access to.

To be fair, as a fools, this is awesome and I am very pleased with the hack resulting. But a four month hack project without this community? But yet an acknowledgement of the megamix leak?

If I'm wrong, sorry - and if I'm right this may just be a topic of so many playing along - but this is what I see here. :psyduck:

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    It's not.

And since when is me giving praise something to laugh about, exactly? I offer constructive feedback on hacks all the time; am I not allowed to be impressed or something?

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    If it were, the topic would have been trashed in the clean up.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Just a heads up. The game felt like saying no to me and gave me an error when I tried to play as a level in level select after selecting to play as Manic.

12. Spunodi

Spunodi

Well I'm obviously late to the party :psyduck:

Anyway, this is cool even with the evil streak in bosses it seems to have.

Will pledge to spend more time with this when my drunken weekend shenanigans are over with.

Edit: Oooh - since Tweaker edited his post I feel I may have offended him - I of course don't mean that but your directness is much evidenced and it was a little comment on that. It is of course a good thing which aids continual improvement so I hope you don't take it the wrong way. :psyduck:

13. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Not to mention this was released much before April fools.

It was just posted on Retro on the 1st, thats all.

14. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I personally believe this is a real hack- and, furthermore, that it is excellent. The level graphics, the moves, and the menus are all quite impressive.

That being said, you chose a poor day to post it.

15. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    March 31st isn't exactly far from April Fools.

But we know it isn't an april fools joke, so let's move back on-topic =P

16. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'm late, oh well.

This is pretty damn impressive! The only two things that are of nuisance to me is not only how amazingly hard the boss is for the first stage (but still impressive), but also how the levels, while smooth in gameplay essences, look somewhat doused with platforms and items altogether; and that's not too pleasing on the eye. :P

But all in all, I hope we'll be seeing even better things coming in the next four months! :psyduck:

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Cool stuff

but yeah the Emerald Hill Zone music is a bit of a disappointment. If you can find a better alternative you'll have hit gold. Reminds me of Sonic XG, which is a good thing.

Though I could nitpick and say the foreground's light source points in a different direction to the background's ;)

18. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
  19. Whoa nice, iam glad you added the homing attack and moves from Sonic CD (the running dash) it would have been cool in my opinion if you kept the original dash sounds, some of the badnik placements are quite trickly for example on act 1 if you take advantage of the speeding areas too much you can easily run into trouble, while it can be annoying sometimes its also a nice challenge.

Cool release, hope to see more updates ;)

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I am working on it, though it's going slow because I have a new job.
    Though now that you mentioned that there will be over 9000 people writing articles so I can as well stop and waste all what I've done so far :\

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.