don't click here

Sonic 1: Bouncy Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Xenowhirl, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    [Just in case you didn't see this posted at Sonic Retro while s2beta was down...]

So I was playing Within a Deep Forest, and... well, I'm at a complete loss to explain myself, but I decided to make a Sonic hack with similar physics.

This is the download link.

Main Features:
    - Sonic is a bouncy ball.
    - The screen snaps into place instead of scrolling.

Other Noteworthy Features:
    - New special stage controls
    - Modified GHZ3 boss
    - GHZ bridges can be used as trampolines.
    - Custom intro and ending demos

Controls:
    - Hold A or C to bounce more (when you hit something)
    - Hold B to bounce less (impact reduction)
    - Hold Down to keep moving and roll when you hit the ground
    - Hold Down while stationary and press A/B/C to spindash (good for loops)
    - Hold Up to stop and stand (good for moving platforms and seesaws)

Have fun!

Thanks to Chimpo for testing and suggestions.

If you still don't understand what this hack is about, click on the first link in this post and play that game. If you think it's too hard to get through loops or stay on platforms, read this post.

2. Athelstone

Athelstone

Oldbie
    Wow, this is probably the most original hack I've played - nice work!

3. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This is brilliant, especially the special stages. The screen snapping makes some areas nigh-impossible to pass, though.

4. Shadow MK2

Shadow MK2

This hack definitely makes the game more challenging. Can anyone beat Marble Zone?

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Yes

Use up for the moving platform parts.

6. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I made it past SBZ1. I could probably finish the whole game like this, just haven't got around to it.

7. RattleMan

RattleMan

Oldbie
    I think the actual "bounce" sprite is one of the "missing sprites", I.e. sprites in the ROM that aren't used in the actual Sonic 1. Is this correct?

8. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
    I like it!

Perhaps the hack can be taken a step further with custom levels designed specifically for bounce physics?

9. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
  10. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    Yes. I used two of those missing sprites for the horizontal and vertical "squashed" animations. If you watch carefully in LZ, they are both used for going in and out of the water as well.

It's not such a bad idea, but I didn't see the need to go that far for something as pointless (within Sonic 1 gameplay) as that, and I'm looking at Sonic 2 more seriously now...

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, this reminds me so much of Cauldron II for the ZX Spectrum. I wish the screen also didn't scroll vertically, but it's great either way, good work!

12. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    I just started to play Within a Deep Forest, I must say its pretty damn awesome.

13. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Well, I preferred Knytt, but that doesn't translate as well to Sonic now does it? Although, Knuckles kind of already does the whole wall-climbing thing...

Pretty good, but I noticed a glitch with the background of Marble Zone 1; I got up to the first checkpoint, died, and the next thing I know, as I make progress, every screen I progress to introduced another blue bar of sorts to the background. It looked weird. I regret that I didn't save any images of the glitch, though...

14. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    Chimpo got that glitch too. I wish I knew how to make it happen. The MZ background scrolling code in Sonic 1 has problems with fast scrolling, but I already made it scroll twice as slow as every other zone...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.